Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
EWR! to Coney Island (edited)
1  2  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:19 pm
I’m traveling tomorrow from EWR to a simcha hall near Coney Island. Is uber the best choice to get there?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 5:52 am
Bump

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 5:57 am
Depends what kind of time you have. There used to be a site called Hopstop that was wonderful. I think it's only available in app form. I've used MTA trip planner. You will probably be told to take a bus from the airport to a subway hub, and then a subway to the nearest stop to the hall. Give yourself a good two hours to do this. You'll save, oh, I don't know, at least $50? If you choose to do this, ask someone in the airport where you should buy the bus ticket.

Oh, and mazel tov!
And one other option: there is a van shuttle from the airport for about $15 to Penn Station in Manhattan, where you can get the subway you need. I personally save the money and take the regular bus.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:07 am
Google maps gives you information for public transportation too. Plug it in and see what your options are. You can expect it to take about twice as long via public transportation.

simba

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:10 am
Depends on time of day. Public transport may be quicker during rush hour in NYC.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:46 am
Thanks! I looked at public transportation - it seems to be more than twice as long (and very indirect!). I may go for it on the way back. When I bought my ticket I planned for private transport (though I’m kind of kicking myself now)

Do you think Uber better than a cab? Are there car services that do this that might be better?

(I did that van shuttle once, I learned I prefer the train, but it could have been a one-off bad experience. I’ve never done this journey ending in Brooklyn before.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:53 am
As great as it is to save the money
- you might have got a GREAT ticket
- you don't have the time
- you need menuchas hanefesh
- other
So do what works best for you and have a safe and easy trip.

simba

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:57 am
Cab and Uber are likely similar. Uber is a flat rate and you know before how much it will cost and can is based on time do it depends on traffic. Hard to know which will end up cheaper.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 7:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
As great as it is to save the money
- you might have got a GREAT ticket
- you don't have the time
- you need menuchas hanefesh
- other
So do what works best for you and have a safe and easy trip.

Love this - thanks. Reality is, I have to work a few hours today and didn’t think I was a good idea to take an earlier flight.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 8:18 am
simba wrote:
Cab and Uber are likely similar. Uber is a flat rate and you know before how much it will cost and can is based on time do it depends on traffic. Hard to know which will end up cheaper.

Thanks!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:38 am
I’d do Uber. Most convenient.

bsy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:49 am
Another option is a car service, because you can get a flat rate and know in advance how much it'll be.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:52 am
bsy wrote:
Another option is a car service, because you can get a flat rate and know in advance how much it'll be.

Any suggestions as to which one?

bsy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:54 am
Church avenue is usually reasonable.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:59 am
bsy wrote:
Church avenue is usually reasonable.

Thanks!

And as I’m sitting waiting to depart, feeling foolish - I’m flying into Newark not LaGuardia. (Good thing at least I packed the wedding invitation... I’ll get to the right hall)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:10 am
Newark does have wonderful public transportation options. There's even a direct bus to Lakewood. But I assume it does complicate things as far as public transport today goes. I hope everything goes smoothly and hey, maybe there'll be other people going to the chasuna on the flight to share the ride with ;-D

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:18 am
simba wrote:

Uber also price surges. Uber price was doubled on me 45 minutes later recently from $75 to $150. It really also depends on others who are traveling and car availability.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:21 am
Uber goes according to traffic... so sometimes the price can really go up. I use a car service over an Uber actually from the airport. Call 718-972-6666( Golden Express).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Newark does have wonderful public transportation options. There's even a direct bus to Lakewood. But I assume it does complicate things as far as public transport today goes. I hope everything goes smoothly and hey, maybe there'll be other people going to the chasuna on the flight to share the ride with ;-D

:-). I’m scanning the departure lounge for possible ride share candidates.

Emotional

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 1:22 pm
What's EWR?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries