Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha - Normal like us

Benevolence

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 7:38 am
I’ve only known the magazine for a few weeks, and have learned that they wont print photographs of women. This serial features a photograph of a shawl+radid+face cover woman, which made me wonder: 1. Doesn’t this account as a photograph of a woman and 2. Is this story about this “sect”? I’m truly interested, and absolutely do not mean to bash anyone.. Can you tell me how Mishpacha relates to this movement, if at all? Writers affiliated with or something of that nature?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 7:47 am
First of all, normal like me was originally printed in the hebrew Mishpacha a few years ago. It was translated into english.

Mishpacha has no affiliation with shawl groups, nor does the serial normalize them. They are called a cult, which is what it is. As the story takes place in Israel, and was written by an israeli, it makes more sense as there's a few groups of shawl women here, more so than in the USA. Perhaps the author knew someone who got trapped in their cults or just wanted to write a story about them.

Last edited by LovesHashem on Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 7:58 am
Benevolence wrote:
I’ve only known the magazine for a few weeks, and have learned that they wont print photographs of women. This serial features a photograph of a shawl+radid+face cover woman, which made me wonder: 1. Doesn’t this account as a photograph of a woman and 2. Is this story about this “sect”? I’m truly interested, and absolutely do not mean to bash anyone.. Can you tell me how Mishpacha relates to this movement, if at all? Writers affiliated with or something of that nature?

The serial is very clearly written against this movement. You have entered the game once the part about that is basically over, though you would have been able to see that when following the entire serial.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:00 am
if you read the serial you will see that the author does treat it as a cult and gives a very empathic and nuanced look at how someone can unwittingly get ensnared

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:05 am
I'm my opinion, women that torture their children deserve to be bashed....

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:06 am
They didn't print a picture of a women. Only a drawing. They always print sketches or drawings from women

sirel

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 1:48 pm
there's no picture of women- only a shawl and redid. there can be anything under that

Benevolence

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 11:11 am
I haven’t read it any of it – the photograph made me intrigued. Does this story incorporate a first-person narration of a ‘shawl-lady’ in it? Is it an attempt to identify, or a to grasp on the “mental mechanics” of a such a person? Is this character, if exists, flushed out as being mentally frail or something of that nature? Is any of you familiar of any attempt to portray the inner landscape of this ‘cult’, or of one of its members?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 3:32 pm
Benevolence wrote:
I haven’t read it any of it – the photograph made me intrigued. Does this story incorporate a first-person narration of a ‘shawl-lady’ in it? Is it an attempt to identify, or a to grasp on the “mental mechanics” of a such a person? Is this character, if exists, flushed out as being mentally frail or something of that nature? Is any of you familiar of any attempt to portray the inner landscape of this ‘cult’, or of one of its members?

The story's told through a few intersecting perspectives: a pair of siblings from Papua New Guinea who are in E"Y for school, and bringing back their schooling to their native land; a journalist and her curmudgeon single brother; a shawl lady (that one is told in first person from her perpective) and her community.

There is a lot of mental mechanics going on. I haven't read any such portrayal of the inner landscape of the shawl cult. And it is portrayed as a cult.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 3:53 pm
I haven't read this serial but it sounds like it has a really interesting plot and some memorable characters. Love the title too. I look forward to buying it when it comes out in book form.

According to another thread about Normal Like Me, the author's name is Ruti Kepler. Has she written any other books?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room