Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Where are the cheapest school supplies online?
1  2  Next

imeinu

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 10:08 pm
So this year I am finally gonna do what I say I should do every year!
Buy school supplies -- in advance -- online Very Happy
So, can you help e out by posting good deals?

BA

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 10:18 pm
I usually find walmart to be cheapest. sometimes target

imeinu

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 10:31 pm
BA wrote:
I usually find walmart to be cheapest. sometimes target

thanks!
I just went onto target and see some really good prices here

https://www.target.com/c/low-p.....lSupp

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 11:02 pm
I found that Walmart, Target, and Amazon all had good deals, and none were consistently the cheapest. The best deal also depends on how many of each item you need.

My method was to go through the multiple supply lists for my kids, work out how many of each item I needed, and check each of the above sites for the cheapest price. It took HOURS. But I added a few items each night and preferred to do it this way than enter the chaos of the brick and mortar stores.

imeinu

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 11:34 pm
Its funny, I never would have thought of Target since I usually go to Walmart brick and morter and end up going to Target at the end for all the things Walmart was out of. And the prices were really high on those items so I assumed all items were high!
I just opened 3 tabs, Target, Staples and Amazon & price compared. I didn't find Staples well priced on anything so between amazon and target (mostly target) we are pretty much done.
B"H!

(I've heard some bad experiences with walmart online so I try to avoid that site)
thank you for your help Smile

kollel wife

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:30 am
(I've been doing this for many years - oldest is now 26, youngest in 6th grade.)

I usually go to many stores without my kids - here in Lakewood, and look for which items are featured - on sale. If you start in advance, when you're going to Target anyway or NPGS take advantage of what's there and slowly complete your list.

Look for sales and featured items.
I will give best prizes in many stores (from what I recall) you don't have to go to all
Shoprite, Target, Walmart are all near each other.

Target usually will put glue and Crayola crayons - at certain points for .20 cents each.
I buy looseleafs here the more expensive ones and find I do well with them. The very expensive ones in Staples haven't lasted any longer - if anything maybe less long.

Shoprite will have notebooks - spiral and composition notebooks, Walmart-folders (also Center of Town) Also Walmart loose leaf paper and reinforced loose leaf paper.

NPGS - dictionary's usually go on sale - a few weeks ago I saw plastic dividers there for $1 - they often tear if they're paper, so I invest in plastic.

Center of Town - plastic folders - good prices and selection of styles.

Then there's a lot of odds and ends, they want nicer pens or markers or a machberes - that we'll do at the end and usually spend more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:28 am
dollargeneral.com as well BUT they frequently run out of stock

sky

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:38 am
Last year I did very well with Walmart Store pickup. The prices were much less then ship to home and they had everything waiting for me to pick up.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 9:04 am
Does anyone know which brands of pencils are good? I found if I buy some off brand on the dollar store, the lead keeps falling out when you sharpen it, which I think basically means the lead inside is shattered. So I usually stick to ticonderoga. I am wondering if there are any cheaper brands that are as good. For example, is up&up, targets brand, any good? The price was very cheap

sky

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 9:05 am
Whenever I don't get ticonderoga I regret it. I found them this year at Costco.

I do find if it says 'Made in America' they tend to be a bit better then some of the others.

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 9:06 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Does anyone know which brands of pencils are good? I found if I buy some off brand on the dollar store, the lead keeps falling out when you sharpen it, which I think basically means the lead inside is shattered. So I usually stick to ticonderoga. I am wondering if there are any cheaper brands that are as good. For example, is up&up, targets brand, any good? The price was very cheap

Ticonderoga makes the best pencils.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 11:51 am
So I shouldnt try up&up? Anyone know where is the best price on ticonderoga pencils? We use tons of pencils, with a bunch of school age kids, so I lile to stock up.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 12:32 pm
What about Staples?

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 12:37 pm
Are the staples prices online the same as in store? I would preder online so I can avoid in store shopping this year as much as possible, but not if the cost is much more. I want to stock up online on all basics, pencils, glue, crayons, erasers... and then for those things that need specific size or type, just send my kids to choose their own.

rgr

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 12:46 pm
24 BIC Xtra-Precision Mechanical Pencils From $2.99 And 12 BIC Highlighters From $3.18 Via Amazon Subscribe And Save

https://www.dansdeals.com/shop.....save/

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 1:41 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

There are a few different boxes of Ticonderoga pencils and they're not all equal. It's the compact box of 12 that's the great one.
If you're in Brooklyn, Variety Corner sells the good ones. It's about $2.79.

benny

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 2:15 pm
FYI I price compared all my kids supply lists on both Walmart.com and target.com and target had much better deals.

mommy43

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 2:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There are a few different boxes of Ticonderoga pencils and they're not all equal. It's the compact box of 12 that's the great one.
If you're in Brooklyn, Variety Corner sells the good ones. It's about $2.79.

These are selling on Amazon now 9.36$ for the 12 pack

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:10 pm
Does anyone know about about the Up and Up mechanical pencils?

lizard8

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 6:22 pm
I did most of my shopping in target. They have good prices, and I buy a lot of up & up items. Their plastic folders are 50 cents, and other stores are around $2. I started my list in store, but filled in whatever I was missing on their website.
The few other items I was missing, I bought in walmart and a local store.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains