Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to make 2 chicken breasts feed 7ppl for all of shabbos
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 7:20 am
I'm not ra mom but I have a potato soup recipe. It is best with milk or milk sub though, if you have the latter in your house.
Saute onion in a a few Tbsp. of oil/marg. Add 3 c. cubed potatoes and 3 c. water, salt and pepper. Cook till soft. Add 3 c. of milk substitute.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
Op here again.

There are so many wonderful options, it’s hard now to choose what to make.

I will take everyone’s advice and use the chicken for Friday night and do a pareve cholent shabbos day (with that kishke recipe too.)

I would love to make butternut squash soup but I think the butternut squash is too small. Also, as a kugel I can heat it shabbos day again.

But with potatoes in the cholent for the day, maybe I can use half for the soup. I have a full bag.

Ra mom - can you tell me how to make potato soup and the spinach dip.

I don’t have sesame oil for a recipe mentioned that sound delicious too.

I also don’t think I have any ingredients for a pasta salad, besides the pasta.

I’m going to start cooking and will come back if I see it looks like I need more options or ideas! I also have baking ingredients so that I can make a dessert and maybe a cake for breakfast shabbos day.

Thank you all for the much needed ideas! I’ve had to be so creative and make just about everything from scratch the past little while, that I felt I hit a wall and needed outside ideas to restart.

Tizku l’mitzvos!
Have a wonderful shabbos

This spinach dip is delicious.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....89269

The cubed potato soup from the heimish cookbook and the roasted garlic potato soup from the nitra cookbook are both great options.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....14441

amother
Black

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:58 am
I don’t have duck sauce or any milk substitute.

I also just made the spinach dip! Came out delicious!

Do you have a recipe for roasted garlic dip?
What about a carrot salad? Cooked or raw? But I don’t have too much to add in so it needs to be very simple. Maybe a spiced carrot salad? Or maybe I should roast carrots?
Any ideas on that welcome too.

Everything else came out delicious. Thank you everyone for your input. It has been so helpful.

My attitude wasn’t always like this. At the beginning it was a big struggle and I was getting very depressed and stressed to come up with an idea for every meal. It also wasn’t helping when the kids would say they were hungry and I would blank on ideas. It wasn’t doing anyone any good. So then I switched my outlook and decided when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...literally!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 9:06 am
You can make Moroccan carrot salad.

Blanch sliced carrots and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and parsley (fresh is better but would probably be ok with dried).

peacenine

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 10:16 am
Wow you're an inspiration! Have a wonderful shabbos and may Hashem bless you with prosperity and much bracha and Hazlacha!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 11:00 am
If you haven't used the carrots yet, a very kid-friendly Shabbos side dish is carrot muffins. If you can make them into mini-muffins, you should get enough for two meals. Here is an easy recipe:

3 carrots, grated
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup brown sugar (or you can substitute regular sugar)
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 capful lemon juice

Mix all ingredients other than carrots and then add them in at the end. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes for mini muffins and longer for regular size muffins. Best to use muffin liners, but if you don't have them just spray the baking pan well.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
I don’t have duck sauce or any milk substitute.

I also just made the spinach dip! Came out delicious!

Do you have a recipe for roasted garlic dip?
What about a carrot salad? Cooked or raw? But I don’t have too much to add in so it needs to be very simple. Maybe a spiced carrot salad? Or maybe I should roast carrots?
Any ideas on that welcome too.

Everything else came out delicious. Thank you everyone for your input. It has been so helpful.

My attitude wasn’t always like this. At the beginning it was a big struggle and I was getting very depressed and stressed to come up with an idea for every meal. It also wasn’t helping when the kids would say they were hungry and I would blank on ideas. It wasn’t doing anyone any good. So then I switched my outlook and decided when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...literally!

For roasted garlic dip, either roast the heads of garlic like this, then squeeze out garlic - it should come out a a stream like from a tube of toothpaste. Blend together with salt to taste. You can add some oil if you'd like too. Very yummy.
This one is surprisingly very yummy too.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....62256

For carrots, we love to shred them and then toss with a clove or two of crushed garlic, a few slivers of sliced onion, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. If you have dried dill it's really nice to add too.
Your food sounds yummy! Good luck!

Its Friday

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 11:42 am
Maybe something like sesame chicken or similar? (crunchy lemon chicken...)

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:29 pm
for dinner cube the chicken, add a can of beans, spices & sauce to go over rice ... now you have sufficiently filling dinner

totally serve something else for lunch ...

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 3:08 pm
Carrot soup is very good - easy and filling.

Fried eggplant is delicious as well and it has a "meaty" type of texture.

If you are doing pareve for lunch, you could use the broccoli and spinach to make a nice mock souffle type of side dish. You would need eggs though and you didn't mention those.

mirror

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 3:39 pm
Do they have a Tomchei shabbos in your area? There are people who earn too much to qualify for food stamps but can still get Tomchei Shabbos. They would give you two whole chickens each week (I think). The deliveries are packed by volunteers and delivered by volunteers Thursday night.

CatLady

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 4:19 pm
Fried rice is a good "filler" item - cooked rice with soy sauce, garlic, onions and frozen peas and carrots. Any leftover chicken can be cubed (same size as the carrot cubes) and added in.

I'm so glad I got to share in this thread, and I want to wish you a Shabbat Shalom!

ora_43

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 3:08 pm
My kids love this broccoli chicken: https://www.tablefortwoblog.co.....coli/

One package of breast meat is enough, as long as there's soup first.

I agree with other posters that if there's only a little meat, it's best to make one meal parve (or dairy, if you have milk/cheese).

(I realize this thread is from last week, and hopefully this won't be an issue for you again because you'll have money for all the chicken you want. But it's always nice to have more meal ideas.)

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 3:32 pm
Thank you so much everyone. We had a wonderful shabbos and I appreciated all the great ideas. They were so good to have and will continue to help us further.

I felt the warmth and care of each mother and it gave me tremendous strength to keep going.

abaker

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
If you haven't used the carrots yet, a very kid-friendly Shabbos side dish is carrot muffins. If you can make them into mini-muffins, you should get enough for two meals. Here is an easy recipe:

3 carrots, grated
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup brown sugar (or you can substitute regular sugar)
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 capful lemon juice

Mix all ingredients other than carrots and then add them in at the end. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes for mini muffins and longer for regular size muffins. Best to use muffin liners, but if you don't have them just spray the baking pan well.

making this for the 2nd time. these are amazing and so easy.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 1:34 pm
abaker wrote:
making this for the 2nd time. these are amazing and so easy.

Me too! My family loves them!
I have used so many recipes that were given here. I truly appreciate each one!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen