Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you wash your hands by your bed?
Previous  1  2

Do you/r husband wash your hands by your bed?
Yes  
 30%  [ 69 ]
No  
 69%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 229

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:55 pm
kneidel wrote:
You're not serious here greenfire, are you? I've never heard of not doing mitzvos (aside for uttering shaim HaShem) when needing to be excused. I mean, do I not go to the door to the charity collector before I've used the bathroom? Or what about smiling to someone, or lending some sugar to a neighbour or even picking up a child could be considered a mitzva.
Are you really not allowed to do any mitzva in such a state?

No, that only relates to making brachos and davening.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 1:29 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Off topic, but what is a "kvort"?

The cup for negel vasser with 2 handles is called a kvort.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 2:10 am
It's minhag Chabad to wash by the bed, and mine is on a stand. One of my favorite minhagim; also wash again at the sink in kitchen after getting dressed.

sirel

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 4:16 am
We don't have that minhag, TBH never thought it was a real thing.
I thought it was only for the picture books or the modeh ani posters.
we are charedi/litvish

We hold that:
1) anywhere in the house is close enough for negel vasser
2) today's bathroom (where the waste is not actually in the room anymore once you flush the toilet) is fine for negel vasser and washing.

creditcards

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 10:00 am
I ordered a table on wheels from amazon. The type they use in the hospital to bring food to the bed. It's adjustable to the hight of the bed. I put the nagel vasser on that and wheel it over to myself in the morning. I can still spill or turn over if I bump into it in the dark.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 4:00 pm
I put it on the floor between my bed and the wall (there's space) and it's out of the way. Husband holds no problem with washing in the bathroom a few feet away but last year I decided to do it anyway and don't end up touching anything by mistake before washing. I thought it's not a problem if it's uncovered-it's only forbidden for drinking. Am I wrong?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
The cup for negel vasser with 2 handles is called a kvort.

I've never heard that word before. I always thought it's called a "tepple"

trixx

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
It's minhag Chabad to wash by the bed, and mine is on a stand. One of my favorite minhagim; also wash again at the sink in kitchen after getting dressed.

it;s not a minhag, it's written in the Alter Rebbe's shulchan aruch, so technically it is halacha.

mammale

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 10:17 pm
I thought the water only gets tameh from being under the bed??? I put it beside the bed so it isn't a problem...
I've heard that the Rambam said not to drink water that was left out uncovered over night in case a snake got in...

mammale

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 10:22 pm
And op.. it's a neat idea. I like the idea of having a whole for the shisel in the stand, but I wouldn't want another thing in my bedroom...too crowded.
Maybe it could be foldable, so it can be stored compact during the day?
Maybe there could be ample surface space around the wholes so it can be a night table too?
Maybe there can be a version with two spaces for negel Vasser for where two people share a room?

creditcards

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:16 am
mammale wrote:
I thought the water only gets tameh from being under the bed??? I put it beside the bed so it isn't a problem...
I've heard that the Rambam said not to drink water that was left out uncovered over night in case a snake got in...

I was taught that you are not allowed to drink water that was not covered at night because of sakanah. Never heard of it becoming tameh.

creditcards

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:18 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I've never heard that word before. I always thought it's called a "tepple"

It is called tepple. Everyone I know calls it tepple.
Looks like it has another name.

nchr

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks for your replies. I'm curious for those that do if it would be easier if your bowl was on a low stand by your bed? I hate when it gets knocked over. Im curious if it's something that would sell well in a Jewish store...

We do.

I put mine on my nightstand, which is relatively large. My husband puts his on the floor. I've never had it get knocked over. The only reason I place mine on my nightstand is because I don't like hanging my head down first thing in the morning, if ever.

I'm not sure a product like that would have a demand since people try to minimize clutter and could just as easily utilize a chair, nightstand, etc. However, you could of course do a poll targeting just those individuals who do wash next to their beds in the morning.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 4:22 pm
My cat would knock it over, and my dog would drink from it. LOL

My new apartment has a small sink in the hallway where the bedrooms are, and it's really nice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions