Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nickname Eli

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:08 pm
Due soon with a boy, and feel obligated to name after a family member with a name I am not in love with.

Is it normal to use the nickname Eli for a name like gamliel/ Yoel / yisrael / Uriel ....bc they end in E-L...

I know we can do what we want...just wondering if that’s accepted practice or totally stretching it?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
Due soon with a boy, and feel obligated to name after a family member with a name I am not in love with.

Is it normal to use the nickname Eli for a name like gamliel/ Yoel / yisrael / Uriel ....bc they end in E-L...

I know we can do what we want...just wondering if that’s accepted practice or totally stretching it?

It stretching it.

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:01 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It stretching it.

I’ve never seen a nickname for Gamliel. I’m not sure if I can think of one I like. But Uriel is usually Uri and Yisrael is Sruli. And Yoel is invariably Yoily or something like that.

shanabanana

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 5:26 pm
I think there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if you only plan to call him Eli.
It is like calling shlomo zalman- Momo or Netanel- Tani
IMHO it is better than adding a name, like gamliel aryeh and calling him ari

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 11:15 pm
Totally fine to use Eli for names that end in e-l.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 3:17 pm
Why not?
Even if it were uncommon, it’s a nickname for gosh sakes. There are no “rules” you must follow. There are only common usages and less common usages. If you wanted to name him Gamliel and call him Miel or Gammy or Liel or Maglite or Eliot Mess that would be your prerogative too. [I would stop calling him Eliot Mess before he reaches the age of understanding and change it to Eliot Ness (the Miracle Boy).]

Just remember that when you name a child one thing at his bris and proceed to call him something else, you create potential issues with religious documents such as ketubot. We know people who had to have their ketubot done over because the originals used the official names and not the names that the parents called the individuals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names