Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Alot?
Previous  1  2

tigerwife

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 11:46 pm
ohmygosh wrote:
I've also seen defiantly used for definitely often enough. I don't know how those two words get confused with each other.

My guess is that it is the spell check correction when people try to spell definitely with an “A” (definately).

smileforamile

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 11:52 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

ohmygosh

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 11:57 pm
tigerwife wrote:
My guess is that it is the spell check correction when people try to spell definitely with an “A” (definately).

Oh... Makes sense. Never thought of that one.

Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 12:02 am
People here use "mortified" for "extremely upset." Also weird...like how do so many people misuse the same word? Did they all have the same teacher who taught them the wrong vocabulary word?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 12:23 am
As an English lit nerd, I love this post!!!

One of my pet peeves includes using the word 'super' in place of 'very', as in 'her baby is super cute '.

Last edited by Frumwithallergies on Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 2:51 am
ohmygosh wrote:
Oh yes. Lose and loose. Drives me nuts. You're and your as well.

Thank you! I did. embarrassed

To add on to the indignations,
Using too many pronouns in an effort to be anonymous, run on sentences and no line breaks. Often with textspeak as well.
If it was beautiful prose, I’d go through it. (Hi, Fox!)
But it does not describe the scenario clearly at all. I leave such threads since I know that it will be a few pages of questions to clarify since the OP doesn’t write clearly. (Then gets upset that no one gets it)

chocolate fondue

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 5:55 am
The grammar mistake that bothers me the most is when people use the verb 'win' instead of 'beat' eg. They say 'I won you!' or
'I'm going to win you!' instead of 'I beat you' or 'I'm going to beat you!'

I'm always telling my kids 'you win the game and you beat the other team'.

I think it's a losing battle though...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 6:17 am
Orchid wrote:
People here use "mortified" for "extremely upset." Also weird...like how do so many people misuse the same word? Did they all have the same teacher who taught them the wrong vocabulary word?

This drives me crazy. I've heard it in real life too.
I just saw it used in an article within a frum publication and I thought to myself, "Maybe I'm the one that's crazy here and I need to actually look up what mortified really means". But nope, I'm not crazy - they're using the word mortified, which means embarrassed, in place of the word horrified, which means shocked.

simcha2

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:21 am
Iymnok wrote:
Thank you! I did. embarrassed

To add on to the indignations,
Using too many pronouns in an effort to be anonymous, run on sentences and no line breaks. Often with textspeak as well.
If it was beautiful prose, I’d go through it. (Hi, Fox!)
But it does not describe the scenario clearly at all. I leave such threads since I know that it will be a few pages of questions to clarify since the OP doesn’t write clearly. (Then gets upset that no one gets it)

This. One long paragraph of abbreviations, breathless upset and run on sentences. Makes me very judgemental of the OP, then I have give myself mussar about judging people favorably... Never ends well.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 9:33 am
chocolate fondue wrote:
The grammar mistake that bothers me the most is when people use the verb 'win' instead of 'beat' eg. They say 'I won you!' or
'I'm going to win you!' instead of 'I beat you' or 'I'm going to beat you!'

I'm always telling my kids 'you win the game and you beat the other team'.

I think it's a losing battle though...

Yup, they winned you!

mommyla

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 1:21 pm
The worst: could of, would of, should of. It’s could’ve or would have!

Lately I’ve also been seeing “where” instead of “were” and that’s just painful to read.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 1:33 pm
Orchid wrote:

Lol. I used to teach Lit and Vocabulary and once had a group of at least five students who studied together and prepared the same exact sentences for their vocabulary quizzes. And one time, all of them misused the same word in their identical sentence.

To be DLZ,, I always notice these minor grammatical or spelling mistakes in other people’s posts. Randomly, an old thread will pop up and I will notice the mistake in my own post! Lots of these swaps can happen when you type too fast or hit submit without rereading what you wrote.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 1:34 pm
ohmygosh wrote:
Oh... Makes sense. Never thought of that one.

I only did because it’s a word I myself used to always misspell!

kneidel

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 2:46 pm
mommyla wrote:
The worst: could of, would of, should of. It’s could’ve or would have!

Lately I’ve also been seeing “where” instead of “were” and that’s just painful to read.

Totally agree with the 'could of' etc. It's one of those...

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 7:43 pm
While we're here, can I add apart vs. a part?

"I would love to be apart of your team" actually means you want to be separated from the team.

pause

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 9:46 pm
And the correct spelling for sepArate?

pause

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 9:47 pm
And the word anyways is rarely used correctly. The word is anyway.

"It's ok. The dress you borrowed was on its last thread anyway. Chaim, stop splashing in the tub! Yanky, come here now! ... So anyway.... as I was saying... I wouldn't wear that dress anymore anyway, so don't worry about it..."

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:45 am
ohmygosh wrote:
I've also seen defiantly used for definitely often enough. I don't know how those two words get confused with each other.

I think that one is a typing-on-smartphone autocorrect fail.
I'm very sensitive to these things but I've been guilty sometimes when I hit "post" too soon without realizing that my phone has meddled with my intentions.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:47 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
As an English lit nerd, I love this post!!!

One of my pet peeves includes using the word 'super' in place of 'very', as in 'her baby is super cute '.

You might just need to get over this one. If "superhuman" can be a word, then we can extrapolate to "supercute" if we want.

goldrose

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:05 am
Iymnok wrote:
While we’re at it, niftar is the Hebrew for died. Nifta, the word I’ve seen here, seems to be a mispronunciation with a Brooklyn accent.
Passed and past are different words with different usages and meanings.
Loose and lose. When you lose weight, your clothes may be loose.
You’re is a congegagation of "you are".
Your is a second person possessive. You’re sitting in your chair.

Thank you for the opportunity to get this off my chest.

?? Spell check, please!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics