Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Strange segula going around
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:42 pm
Pet peeve: Tzedakas--many of which are uber-respectable and do excellent work--sending out mailings claiming "Send us $XX before (fill in a yomtov, rocsh chodesh, parasha, whatever) and we guarantee that (no one in your family will ever get sick/you will achieve your fondest wish/whatever you have been asking for will be granted/you will see yeshuos/you will celebrate simchos/you will never be in need blablabla).

IMHO this kind of talk cheapens and degrades both the organization and the people sending in contributions, and even tarnishes the money sent. Nobody, I don't care how much of a tzadik he is, can guarantee anything and IMHO it's total genevas daas to make such claims. The fact that they attach a specific price tag makes it even worse. So if ploni almoni sends $72 he deserves a yeshua but if he can only send in $70 he doesn't? Can't they prorate the yeshua, maybe? When did pay-for-pray become a thing, anyhow?

Does the hanhala of these tzedakas ever read the ads they send out? I find it very hard to believe that the gedolei hador whose names line the sides of these tzedaka announcements like the list of partners on the letterhead of a law firm are aware of the lies that are being told in their names.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:49 pm
deg wrote:
As I understood it, she meant that saying these tefillos or doing things to become closer to Hashem will not be bad for her. Obviously, the outcome might not be what she expected, but the actual tefillos will not be bad for her.

I'm not sure I understand. What do you mean "the actual tefila won't be bad for her"? What could possibly be bad about the tefila?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:02 pm
Royalblue,
Obviously, if we can see direct results of our actions then there would be a lot more believers in the world and our bechira would be diminished. I did not mean that someone who takes something on is guaranteed to see results. I do not see any bad coming from creating a closer relationship with Hashem. What is the point of davening? It’s not to get what we want from G-d but to get closer to Him. This does not equal being protected from all bad. If it were that simple, nobody would be asking “Why do bad things happen to good people?”.

I also think that someone with more faith and belief will use those feelings to get through challenging times.

Thanks to everyone who explained what I meant.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. What do you mean "the actual tefila won't be bad for her"? What could possibly be bad about the tefila?

Exactly.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:06 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I’m going anon for this because I quote this all the time. I’m not naming the rabbi either, but since you asked here’s a quote on segulahs:
“It’s a pity the aseres hadibros were not given as ten segulahs.”
In case it’s not obvious I’ll add he said it tongue in cheek.

The son-in-law of Reb Chaim said that it's a segulah to daven three times a day. Now it's a segulah! Lol.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Check out the #thankyouhashem social media and you’ll see what I mean. Instagram specifically

Ha! Exactly! I see this all the time and usually it's a way to brag about something and make it okay, somehow.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:11 pm
sra wrote:
Please be respectful when referring to gedolei yisrael! His name was R' Menachem Mendel M'riminov, a big gadol mainly in the chassidish world.
I will find out, but I'm pretty sure it is a reputable segulah with a mekor

I'm waiting with baited breath about the mekor.

Avodah Zara is when we decide that a human being can get us the results we want. I say nothing about who he was as a person, and I'm sure he was a great man. But we don't pray to the person, we pray to God. We don't appeal to a person, we appeal to God. We don't light a candle (seems Christian, actually) for a random amount of time, and state that the candle lighting will do the magic that we need, whether it's make someone pregnant, get rid of a tumor, etc.

I know people that won't go to get brachos from a Rebbe because they say that only God can help them, not a man.

sub

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:18 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I'm waiting with baited breath about the mekor.

Avodah Zara is when we decide that a human being can get us the results we want. I say nothing about who he was as a person, and I'm sure he was a great man. But we don't pray to the person, we pray to God. We don't appeal to a person, we appeal to God. We don't light a candle (seems Christian, actually) for a random amount of time, and state that the candle lighting will do the magic that we need, whether it's make someone pregnant, get rid of a tumor, etc.

I know people that won't go to get brachos from a Rebbe because they say that only God can help them, not a man.

As I understand it- we are lighting the candle for עלית נשמה. And we are asking this neshama to be a מליץ for us in shamayim. Getting a brocha does not equate getting your request. It is meant to pile on the positives, again being used as a מליץ טוב.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:24 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

I've heard that the meaning of veheyei bracha is that we have the capacity to give brachos. We should all constantly be giving each other brachos. I think that part of getting a bracha from a rebbe is the chizuk one gets from being in the presence of greatness. It's why Moshe and Aharon personally interacted with each person who was counted in the midbar; everyone then felt their own personal chashivus and value.

I say this as a pretty rational Litvak type.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:56 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Royalblue,
Obviously, if we can see direct results of our actions then there would be a lot more believers in the world and our bechira would be diminished. I did not mean that someone who takes something on is guaranteed to see results. I do not see any bad coming from creating a closer relationship with Hashem. What is the point of davening? It’s not to get what we want from G-d but to get closer to Him. This does not equal being protected from all bad. If it were that simple, nobody would be asking “Why do bad things happen to good people?”.

I also think that someone with more faith and belief will use those feelings to get through challenging times.

Thanks to everyone who explained what I meant.

I've always been very confused by the idea of having a "relationship" with hashem. To me, a relationship is dependent on trust and understanding. I can have a relationship with my husband, parents, children, boss, co-workers, friends and neighbors, because I know what they expect from me and I can anticipate their response based on my actions. Meaning if I treat my husband warmly, smile and speak nice to him, help him with the children, cook and take care of the house, I can expect him to respect me and treat me well. As opposed to if I yell at him, don't help with the kids and other things, again, I can anticipate his response. With hashem, we can't anticipate anything. There's no connection or understanding to anything that happens. We are just left saying that we don't understand. I don't understand how there's a relationship.

Also, I don't really believe that people daven or do segulahs for a connection and not a result. An older single, a couple without children, a sick person, or a poor person, who takes on a segulah has 1 and only 1 reason and that is to achieve a result. I don't know why we can't all admit to this. We are close to rosh hashana where we will be asking hashem all day for very specific requests. We benched rosh chodesh recently and asked hashem for very specific requests. For some reason people don't like saying they daven for requests. It's all about the relationship. I guess I don't understand.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics