Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O frustrated at school

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:02 pm
I'm currently a SAHM with an infant, so I didn't want to post on that thread about the school calendar since it doesn't affect me so much. But can we talk about school supplies? The requirements have gotten to be outrageous!

My 6th grader has a 2 page printed list of very specific supplies she's supposed to bring in, down to the color of each folder and notebook. Plus, between her Hebrew and English teachers she's supposed to bring in 8 (!) boxes of tissues. Are you kidding me?! Can't the school order tissues in bulk to supply the classrooms? I'll send my kid in with extras if she has a cold. And then they tack on a little note at the end of 2 pages that this is the general supply list for the grade, but that the individual teachers may send home an additional list on the first day of school. No! Just no. The week before Rosh Hashana I do not have time to run around and buy more supplies that should have been included on the original list, nor do I want to spend more money!

/rant

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:17 pm
WhatsApp the class and arrange for one parent to order all the supplies online to be delivered to the school.

For next year, get the pta to do the ordering for a slight fee. They have a better chance of getting the teachers to give them updated lists.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 12:19 am
Absolutely nuts!! One list and that should be final! No "extra supplies the first day of school". And that is way too much stuff!
I always hated having to bring in tissues, Purell, or other stuff the school should be supplying. I should only bring in what MY kids needs and will be using. We pay tons in supplies- 8 boxes of tissues? Where will they store it? That room for English will be used by other teachers who also will ask for Tissues....
I remember one year in school the other class that shared our room for English I believe ended up throwing all the tissues around and made a huge mess. And there were no tissues the next time we needed any!!
Complain that it is unfair and excessive. And one list per teacher and it should be approved and cross-checked for duplicates that won't be needed twice...

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 7:53 am
I hate the 4 inch looseleafs in fifth grade. They never fill it up and the briefcase always gets a rip in the corner where it doesn't really fit

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:36 am
As a kid, I remember feeling so overwhelmed by those supply lists. It was tons and tons of stuff, half of which we never even ended up using. They would always specify that the notebooks had to be a specific size, when it often didn't really matter. Year after year, my parents would scramble to get the correct notebooks, knowing that they were wasting time and money.

In 5th grade, one teacher specified that we needed a steno pad. I still don't know what that is, although my parents did manage to find one. Why couldn't we just use a regular spiral-bound notebook--or a looseleaf--to write our din yomi? In 6th grade, the teachers literally asked for 6 different looseleafs -- six!! Finally, I got smart and consolidated all my work into one 2-inch looseleaf. After that, I never bought the supplies they specified and always just bought what worked for me.

I had many teachers who would mark me down for not doing homework if I didn't have all the correct supplies by the second/third day of school. Punish the kids for their parents' busy schedules, will you?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:43 am
It really frustrates me that we don't get supply lists until after school starts. I have to pay full price for many items because we missed the sales. (Though I do stock up on items that seem to be recurring each year.)
But I guess that based on what I'm reading here I should be grateful that while the lists are long and overwhelming, they're real - based on each teachers specific requirements, so the supplies actually get used.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:48 am
Our local Bais Yaakov gives out the lists on the last day of school. It’s one double sided page with a column for each grade.
Each girl brings her own tissues if she has a cold.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children