Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bungalow colony with day camp

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 1:33 am
We’re upstate for the summer but considering looking into other bungalow colonies for next summer, for a variety of reasons. I’d love to check out any potential places while we’re already up here, so I figured I’d start the research early.

One of the most important things for us is a really good day camp. Young families, preferably OOT-type or ‘modern-yeshivish’, welcoming, friendly.

Wouldn’t mind looking into purchasing a home but we are definitely not interested in a fancy-type crowd.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 5:36 pm
Victory bungalow coloney is mixed simple crowd.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:42 pm
Clearview has an on-site day camp and a mixed crowd. I'm not sure what modern-yeshivish means but they are more modern than yeshivish.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:46 am
amother wrote:
Clearview has an on-site day camp and a mixed crowd. I'm not sure what modern-yeshivish means but they are more modern than yeshivish.

The part of Clearview that is modern is pretty modern think mixed swimming women in shorts etc... where are you holding op?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 6:44 pm
OP here:

Thank you very much for your responses!! So we looked into Clearview - we would definitely be of the 'frummer' there but the bigger issue was that supposedly the day camp isn't great so most of the kids get bussed elsewhere.

Does anyone know how I would find out more information about Victory Cottages? One of the more 'difficult' parts about navigating up here (I know it's a luxury of sorts to even be here but it's still a process to find the right place for your family) is that it's all about connections and who you know where - and since very few people from our community come up, we're a bit at a loss.

Thank you in advance for your responses!!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 12:09 pm
Anonymous for identity because I am in Clearview. If the issue was that it's too modern for you then I wouldn't say anything. But this feels like lashon hara about the day camp so I want to set things straight. It is NOT true that most people send elsewhere. There are SOME people who send elsewhere. One family that is much more yeshivish sends across the street to a yeshivish colony camp (Countryside Acres), people with older boys sometimes look for a camp with more yeshivish learning programs (we have shiur once a day for each bunk, not a full rebbi program like the yeshiva camps), and a couple of other families for whatever reason prefer to bus out. Majority of families stay in the colony. The camp is run very professionally. The head counselor is amazing, you will not find that kind of dedication elsewhere. I've had my kids lost objects personally returned to my bungalow, for example. They have arts n crafts every day and come home with adorable projects. There is a trip almost every week. One major trip each month and smaller things like bowling, roller skating, petting zoo. All the kids look like they are having a great time.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:19 pm
Victory is an amazing colony. Very warm but easygoing crowd. They have a big day camp on grounds.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:35 am
Imamother 'Scarlet',

Thank you so much for your response about Clearview and their day camp! I guess that must have been one person's misinformed viewpoint - goes to show you how far a bit of misinformation can go. I am definitely going to keep that in mind and now it definitely seems like a place we should consider... Thank you!

Also, I would love to hear about Victory Cottages as well - Flowerpower, do you mind if I PM you for some more information? Do you go there yourself? Or know anyone else who does?

Thank you again everyone for the information!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:00 pm
I have a friend at Victory, too. The people there seem very nice and down-to-earth. I don't know much about the day camp or anything else.

I wonder why no other camps or colonies are being mentioned here... I was curious too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics