Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What makes someone 100%? Are you 100%?
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:58 am
What makes someone 100% or not? I HATE when ppl say in conversation that so-and-so is not 100%!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:01 am
Nobody in this world is 100%. If they were they wouldn't have any reason to be here. We are here to work on ourselves and try to become better every day

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:59 am
Sorry ladies, I'm not 100%. I apologize to whoever thought otherwise.

imasinger

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:57 am
How about the people who are saying "110%", or "120%"?

Does the illogic bother you even more?

Like 100% of the time? Very Happy

salt

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
What makes someone 100% or not? I HATE when ppl say in conversation that so-and-so is not 100%!

Isn't it just a euphemism for describing someone who's slightly mentally disabled or unstable. Sorry if I'm being politically incorrect, but that's how I always understand it.

Ruchel

100% what

Emotional

The term that describes someone as "not 100%" usually refers to mental/IQ abilities. 😞

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 10:40 am
Agree with OP. This term bothers me also. Is it still accepted?

leah233

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
Agree with OP. This term bothers me also. Is it still accepted?

The term was never acceptable for a non constructive propose.

You can say "mentally/socially challenged", but not 100% , not all there or in Yiddish "nisht mit alemin" means a specific type of mental or social challenge that mentally/socially challenged doesn't convey.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:46 pm
I think that saying someone is or isn’t “100%” is very judgmental and snotty. It’s not a good gauge of someone’s actual mental acuity or general normalcy, so I wouldn’t put any stock in what it does or doesn’t mean.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Are they using it like dysfunctional?

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:51 pm
I'm with you, I don't like that phrase. It means "not all there" or "not OK" and while I understand the usage I agree that it's demeaning. Though it's hard sometimes to describe dysfunction in a way that's not at least a little offensive, and sometimes there's a reason to want to describe it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:54 pm
It's about as classy as saying "a few sandwiches short of a picnic" or "has a few screws loose."

It just isn't nice, at all.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:41 pm
I'm not saying that its a nice thing to call someone but what else do you call a wackadoodle?

A lady came over and started yelling at my friend in public. Another friend leaned over and said "Don't take it personally, she's not 100%. She yells at everyone"

Is that really the worst thing in the world? Its better than using the word [slow person] which is offensive to people with mental challenges.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:56 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I'm not saying that its a nice thing to call someone but what else do you call a wackadoodle?

A lady came over and started yelling at my friend in public. Another friend leaned over and said "Don't take it personally, she's not 100%. She yells at everyone"

Is that really the worst thing in the world? Its better than using the word [slow person] which is offensive to people with mental challenges.

A wackadoodle.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
A wackadoodle.

Seriously? I think "not 100%" is much more refined.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:57 pm
My boss used to refer to one of his clients as an ‘odd duck”. He was!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:59 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Seriously? I think "not 100%" is much more refined.

Totally disagree. Not 100% is a judgement. Wackadoodle is a description.

(I have not heard this ‘not 100%’ being used as a stand-alone statement, in my real life, I'm sort of guessing how its being used.

The usage I know is: he’s not '100% with-it' to describe an elderly person with declining mental capacity. Or I’m not feeling 100% today. Not a blanket ‘she’s not 100%’. When would someone say that?, why?)

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 5:15 pm
amother wrote:
Totally disagree. Not 100% is a judgement. Wackadoodle is a description.

(I have not heard this ‘not 100%’ being used as a stand-alone statement, in my real life, I'm sort of guessing how its being used.

The usage I know is: he’s not '100% with-it' to describe an elderly person with declining mental capacity. Or I’m not feeling 100% today. Not a blanket ‘she’s not 100%’. When would someone say that?, why?)

As I and apparently others have heard it, it refers to "not 100% aware of and/or capable of acting according to basic social norms." I don't how "wackadoodle" isn't a judgment; I would certainly feel judged if someone called me a wackadoodle.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 5:24 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
As I and apparently others have heard it, it refers to "not 100% aware of and/or capable of acting according to basic social norms." I don't how "wackadoodle" isn't a judgment; I would certainly feel judged if someone called me a wackadoodle.

Its in the OED. Its means: An eccentric or fanatical person. I think its a great word (and yes I agree it leans towards the pejorative, but its not a judgment).

Thanks for explaining the 'not 100%' to me. Not something I would personally say. Nor do I think is a synonym for "wackadoodle".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics