Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age do kids need to start school/playgroup?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:47 pm
As someone who has worked in numerous playgroups and pre-schools, the longer you can keep your child in a one-to-one setting, the better.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who has worked in numerous playgroups and pre-schools, the longer you can keep your child in a one-to-one setting, the better.

What are you suggesting here?

So many moms are 1:2 by 18 months.

soap suds

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:21 pm
Each kid is different as is each situation. I sent one kid at 20 mo. and another at 3.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:29 pm
The later the better.
When you feel your baby needs it.
Don’t listen to anyone.
Do what you feel is right for your child.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:03 pm
I'm confused. Why are you bothered by the question, if you yourself have made arrangements for someone to look after him? In what way is that different than others sending to playgroup?

(Signed, someone who doesn't have rich parents AND doesn't have a MIL available to babysit in the mornings. Yet I send my child out so that I can work and bring in more money than the playgroup costs.)

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
I'm confused. Why are you bothered by the question, if you yourself have made arrangements for someone to look after him? In what way is that different than others sending to playgroup?

(Signed, someone who doesn't have rich parents AND doesn't have a MIL available to babysit in the mornings. Yet I send my child out so that I can work and bring in more money than the playgroup costs.)

As I said in a different post, I was responding specifically to my peers who have been asking the question, when they have parents who are paying for their 18-month-old to go to playgroup. I feel like I'm being pressured to send my son to playgroup when he wouldn't otherwise need to because it's the "done thing" -- but it's the "done thing" because these girls have their parents paying for it, which I don't have.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
As I said in a different post, I was responding specifically to my peers who have been asking the question, when they have parents who are paying for their 18-month-old to go to playgroup. I feel like I'm being pressured to send my son to playgroup when he wouldn't otherwise need to because it's the "done thing" -- but it's the "done thing" because these girls have their parents paying for it, which I don't have.

They didn’t spring up because of wealthy in-laws/parents. They provide a nice ‘break’ for caregivers and fun interaction for kids.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:06 pm
OP here. Maybe someone can tell me- how much does it cost to send your 18-month-old to playgroup? What about 2 1/2 year old?

Someone told me they charge $7,500 for 12 months. That's insane!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Maybe someone can tell me- how much does it cost to send your 18-month-old to playgroup? What about 2 1/2 year old?

How many hours is playgroup? Look at the cost per hour when trying to determine crazy factor.

You don’t need to do this.

keym

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:17 pm
Location and hours matter. In Lakewood, a playgroup that age that goes 9:15-2:15 runs around $250/$275 per month. 9:15-3 runs around $350 per month.
Daycare center playgroups that have hours 8:45-4:15 and are not on the school schedules run way more expensive. $650-$900 per month depending on age and hours.
So for the average Lakewood family, sending to playgroup is not going to break the bank. The expensive part is paying for the babysitter afterwards and coverage on vacation days.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:

Full time (9 hours a day, 5 days a week,12 months a year excluding legal holidays) is about 25k

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:

How do you know that everyone else’s parents pay for their playgroups?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:36 pm
keym wrote:
Location and hours matter. In Lakewood, a playgroup that age that goes 9:15-2:15 runs around $250/$275 per month. 9:15-3 runs around $350 per month.
Daycare center playgroups that have hours 8:45-4:15 and are not on the school schedules run way more expensive. $650-$900 per month depending on age and hours.
So for the average Lakewood family, sending to playgroup is not going to break the bank. The expensive part is paying for the babysitter afterwards and coverage on vacation days.

Out of curiosity, does Lakewood have a more ‘functional’ daycare offering of 7:30 - 6:00? (That’s what mine has. No child is there that long, but it serves a purpose for two working parents).

keym

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
Out of curiosity, does Lakewood have a more ‘functional’ daycare offering of 7:30 - 6:00? (That’s what mine has. No child is there that long, but it serves a purpose for two working parents).

I'm sure there are such daycares, but not run and staffed by frum yidden. The longest frum owned daycare is 8:30-5:30.
Then again I don't know anyone that both parents work full time plus a long commute. Most people I know, one parent works ft with a commute, and one parent works 9-5 locally.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 8:42 pm
My 5 year old will be going to Pre-1A this year I"YH, and this will be her first school experience (I sent her to a month of daycamp to prepare her). Reason was financial - couldn't afford it, we have tuition expense for older kids also (I still can't really afford Pre-1A, but this is when school & learning really starts, thank G-d we got a scholarship, but it's still really expensive). I work part-time at home (mostly at night).

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:03 pm
tigerwife wrote:
How do you know that everyone else’s parents pay for their playgroups?

Because their husband is learning and they are either still in college or working as a secretary.

Again, obviously I'm in the young-married stage.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:05 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Full time (9 hours a day, 5 days a week,12 months a year excluding legal holidays) is about 25k

Omg... I'm leaving my own thread. I'm going to go out of my mind.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:11 pm
amother wrote:

Why??
Maybe you understand better the value of your MILs free service to you?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:26 pm
I didn't read the whole thread. Just responding to OP. Sorry if I am repeating what others said.

Most people pay for babysitting. Tuition for a playgroup can often come out cheaper than that, so that is why some working mothers choose to send to playgroup at an earlier age. It actually saves them money over babysitting.

That being said, my DD started school at age 3 and a half. Almost all the kids I knew her age were in school the previous year, and people made me crazy that I "had to" send her to school that year. Well, I am glad I didn't let them sway me and I did what was best for my child. Every kid is different and you have to do what works for your child and your family.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:

Did I blow your mind? Why?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics