Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Leggings?

LeahRivka

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 11:40 am
Are leggings okay under a knee length skirt or dress? I know some do not think it is tznius but I'm not sure why it would not be. As long as the skirt/dress are not short. In halacha I've never seen anything that would indicate they are not.
Thank you

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 11:45 am
If you are makpid to cover your entire leg, then you would just have to wear socks as well.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 11:46 am
We consider leggings to be beged ish, basically pants, and that’s not allowed.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 11:48 am
I wear leggings all the time in the winter. With ankle boots and cute socks, it's a nice look with skirts.

I despise tights and nylons, so I find leggings much more comfortable, and warmer too.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:

How could leggings be begged ish when they are clearly made for women, and would be weird for men to wear?

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:

Why would that be? I don't want to criticize your community's approach, but to me, the only difference between leggings and high-density opaque tights is the missing foot.
I sometimes make my own leggings by buying thick tights for keeping warm in winter and cutting the foot off to make it more comfortable.

The only man I know to wear leggings in public is Robin Hood... Shooting Arrow or was he wearing tights after all? Have to check.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:02 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
How could leggings be begged ish when they are clearly made for women, and would be weird for men to wear?

Because they're still allowing the outline of your leg to be seen in the knee area (if the skirt hem is hitting at the point just above the knee).

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
Because they're still allowing the outline of your leg to be seen in the knee area (if the skirt hem is hitting at the point just above the knee).

That doesn't make the leggings beged ish, it means that the skirt is not tznius.

LeahRivka

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:

But if the skirt is covering the knee? Also is this halacha or chumra?

Thank you all for the replies.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:22 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
The only man I know to wear leggings in public is Robin Hood... Shooting Arrow or was he wearing tights after all? Have to check.

creditcards

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:

Then maybe tights should be considered beged ish because it allows the outline of your legs to be seen.

I think the reason we don't wear it is just because it's just not accepted by us. It just has a modern look.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:41 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
That doesn't make the leggings beged ish, it means that the skirt is not tznius.

Thank you for the clarification, FranticFrummie. I got confused with the term, but understand it now. I guess I'm just a not so knowledgeable BT.
On a different note, will it look frumpy to wear leggings with a skirt that's 2 inches below the knee?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for the clarification, FranticFrummie. I got confused with the term, but understand it now. I guess I'm just a not so knowledgeable BT.
On a different note, will it look frumpy to wear leggings with a skirt that's 2 inches below the knee?

If your leggings are the same color as your hemline, you should be fine. Follow the same rule as you would for colored tights. Contrast makes you look shorter and heavier. Matching makes you look taller and thinner.

You can never make a mistake with black/black or gray/gray. Wear the more fun colors closer to your face, and keep everything from the waist down neutral.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:05 pm
I have learned in high school that according halacha one must cover toe to ankle hence it would be more tznius to wear anklets and a midi skirt rather than leggings and skirt.

Can someone verify or disprove what I was taught?

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 7:07 pm
creditcards wrote:
Then maybe tights should be considered beged ish because it allows the outline of your legs to be seen.

I think the reason we don't wear it is just because it's just not accepted by us. It just has a modern look.

This. There isn’t a reason for it that’s based on Halacha, only culture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics