Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Has anyone used Costco to redo their kitchen?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 5:33 pm
Thinking about going with costco's Cambria to redo my kitchen, anyone have experience with this?

smss

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:39 pm
I have not but are you sure you want quartz? Afaik can't be kashered for Pesach...

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:28 am
smss wrote:
I have not but are you sure you want quartz? Afaik can't be kashered for Pesach...

I have news for you, neither can formica! I know "everybody" does it but it can't be kashered.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:51 am
Re kashering Cambria and Formica: Depends who you hold by. Ask your LOR. Cambria is not consdered kasherable by Star-K.

I had a recent client get Cambria Nevern counters. It's a beautiful surface. They plan to cover their counters for Pesach.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:58 am
Costco doesn't have people in the back cutting up sheets of Cambria. They contract with a local fabricator. Quality of work would depend on the fabricator. This would be similar to the way Home Depot sells counters.

smss

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:05 am
tweety1 wrote:
I have news for you, neither can formica! I know "everybody" does it but it can't be kashered.

I know formica can't be kashered.
I believe granite is the only countertop that can.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:38 am
smss wrote:
I know formica can't be kashered.
I believe granite is the only countertop that can.

That is incorrect. Quartzite (not the same as quartz) can be kashered and is even more l'chatchila than granite (also more costly).

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:11 am
To clarify, quartzite is actually a natural stone like granite - it's not a "brand" of quartz.

Quartz is a manmade product.

Many people opt for quartzite because it is more durable than marble but looks like marble. Some stone yards sell marble but claim it's quartzite and charge accordingly. If you want quartzite, there are tests you can do to differentiate from marble.

Regarding Costco as a dealer, Rubbery Ducky is correct as Costco and HD just hire installers. Because of their leverage, they can negotiate lower prices for the product as well as pay installers less because of guaranteed work. However, there is SO much remodeling being done now that high quality installers generally have more work than they can handle so you can be stuck with someone not so good who is willing to accept the lower payments from Costco or HD in order to get work. You might get lucky but in general the talented installers don't need work.

Of course it also depends on the layout of your kitchen. If you have a simple layout with relatively few seams, it is less important. However, you can really get a bad or mediocre installation if you have seams or have any kind of tricky layout.

I'm in the middle of a gut remodel so I started reading up on all the ways that things can go bad :-)

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:54 am
I don't plan on koshering for Pesach anyway. I am wondering more about how the kitchen turned out. I feel like Costco backs up their stuff so if anything goes wrong, they will do whatever they can to fix it. Anyone on here use Costco?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:02 pm
Following.

I buy my computers at Costco and their Cust Serv is quite good.

What is Costco charging for how many running feet of cabinets, and what do they include in the price (counters, sinks, faucets, appliances, etc) or is it only the cabinets?

It seems they offer custom and semi custom cabinets.

How long do they offer a warranty?

Do they have designers who come to the house and offer options/ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics