Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
2 days vs 3 days

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:13 pm
I’m a speech therapist making my school schedule for this school year. Would you rather work 2 super packed days where you have no second to breathe, but then be off the rest of the week (with a baby). Or three days, or 2.5 days so you can breathe a bit more but I need to pay the babysitter an extra day. In general I think I prefer 2 but I’m second guessing myself.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:20 pm
Can you give your students the same level of attention if your schedule is so packed? If you cant then dont do it. I would hate it if my childs therapist is so stressed and constantly thinking about the next person she has scheduled and not giving mine the utmost attention.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:43 pm
I don’t think the kids will suffer but it will be intense for me over the 2 days.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:50 pm
I would do 3 or 2.5 if you can afford it. It’s nice to have some time to get errands done, go to the gym etc while the babysitter watches the baby

bsy

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 6:58 pm
I'm an SLP too and I found my super packed days hard. I'd split it into 2.5 or 3 days.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 7:05 pm
I’m also an SLP and would do 2.5 days. This also gives you a bit of leeway if you come late/have to leave early one day, or if a student is absent you can see him a different day.

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 7:46 pm
definitely work shorter days and be with the baby more each day

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 11:34 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
definitely work shorter days and be with the baby more each day

That’s what I’m debating, you think it’s better to be away 3 mornings, but home more in the afternoons? As opposed to bring away two full
days, but home the rest of the week?

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 11:46 pm
Emotionally it is better for your baby's needs to be away for shorter, even if it is more frequent, yes. In fact even 5 days would be fine...consistency is good. Does that answer your question? Hatzlacha with the job!!

nursemomma

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:38 am
I would definitely split it over 3 shorter days.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 11:52 am
I would do 2 days. You can always use the babysitter a third day if you need it.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:11 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I would do 2 days. You can always use the babysitter a third day if you need it.

Why, it seems like most are voting for 3?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:22 pm
I would do 2 super packed days. Getting dressed for work, commuting to and from work, picking up and dropping off the baby at the babysitter - all of those things take time.

To me, having more hours in my week is more valuable than dealing with a super packed 2 days of the week.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 2:11 pm
I would also rather have two full days. A work day is a work day regardless of how many hours it is. Your day is centered around going out to work: getting supper ready before you leave, getting yourself and baby dressed, travel, getting home and unwinding...
Having full free days to yourself allows you to better replenish your strength. You can do errands without a deadline of "going to work" or you can choose to do a lazy day and stay in PJ's all day.

Also, if you work spread over 3 days, you are less likely to have or be able to take a vacation. Snow days, YT, midwinter vacation, etc. - if they coincide with your working day, you get a full (almost) week off, as opposed to a shorter work day where you'll get only a few hours off.

rakcna

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 4:16 pm
Honestly, I would do 2 days. But I’m a nurse so there are some differences. However, when I have had the option to work two 12 hour shifts or three 8 hour shifts I have chosen the two 12s easily. I find that once I am at work I just want to get stuff done. Also, even after a shorter day at work I am still tired and have a hard time switching modes.

When I am working full time (36-40 hours per week) I also prefer a condensed schedule like three 12s or four 10s...

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:57 pm
I'm also a nurse as I agree that I also prefer to do fewer 12 hour shifts than more 8 hour shifts. It's considered by many to be one of the benefits of the nursing profession, even. Once you've been at work for several hours it very often doesn't seem like such a big deal to just push through a few extra hours.

ggdm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 6:23 pm
I absolutely hated my half day at work when I had it. In the morning it seemed not worth the effort to even go there. And at lunch I always felt there was so much I didn't get done in the short time and I would have liked to stay longer. So my vote would be for 2 days. But it's absolutely a matter of preference and personality, there is no objectively better solution. I have colleagues who only work half days and have been doing that for years.

How long do you have to stick with your decision? Or from which one is it easier to change to the other one?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics