Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How do you not lose your trash can lids?

Mevater

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:03 pm
The Rubbermaid Roughneck trash cans barely attach to the lids in the first place.

How do your trash can lids not get lost?

Fast Forward

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:08 pm
I am not sure about that particular brand, but some garbage cans have a small hole in the rim of the lid and in the handle of the garbage can. If yours has those holes, then you can just connect the two with a piece of string. Even if the lid does not stay on top, at least it will not blow away.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 1:26 pm
Drill a hole in the cover and attach it to the trash can handle.
Or buy cans that are already attached.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Toter-6.....w_wcB

Mevater

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 2:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Or buy cans that are already attached.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Toter-6.....w_wcB

I bought one of those trash cans and theyre much sturdier than the Rubbermaid. But I was told by the NYDOS that the Toter ones you show are illegal in NYC because theyre too heavy for the men to carry. Im not sure if the slightly smaller size is illegal as well.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 2:19 pm
Mevater wrote:
I bought one of those trash cans and theyre much sturdier than the Rubbermaid. But I was told by the NYDOS that the Toter ones you show are illegal in NYC because theyre too heavy for the men to carry. Im not sure if the slightly smaller size is illegal as well.

We have ours for a few years. The sanitation workers won't turn them over like they do the other cans because they told me they're too heavy, so we need to make sure to clear the bottoms ourselves, but they've never complained or told us they were illegal.
Mostly, we started leaving the trash in heavy bags on the sidewalk for pick up, and we leave the cans behind where we always keep them.

Optione

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 10:19 pm
We bought ones with lids and saw it as an investment. They're expensive; we waited until we had the money for it and bought one at a time.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 10:49 pm
in Brooklyn: I line my cans with black 39 gall bags and those bags only get taken to the curb. my trash cans stay close to home and safe, and I have them for years. unfortunately the sanitation dept treats trash cans like trash and mine were left all over the block, smashed, lidless or just missing. this way I bought good, expensive cans with attached lids and it has been a worthwhile investment. I buy the large trash bags by the case from amazon
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics