Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What Percentage of income is tuition?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

keym

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:58 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I agree with this post 100%. And they're probably making much more than 30K.

I don't begrudge Rebbeim the money or the setup or anything, and I have a lot of hakaras hatov for everything they do (I can't even imagine walking in to a room full of boys for six hours a day!) but when people complain that the Rebbeim have it hard - yes, it's hard, but many of us in the middle class have it harder. (I had this conversation with my boys over Shabbos and the said that the hard part is that the yeshivas are often behind on the paychecks - I agree that THAT's really hard).

BTW, keym, 90K a year is not lower middle class in the secular world Confused . I agree with you that in our world it is.

I call it lower middle class because we are a 7 person family, so the kids are still eligible for JerseyCare.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious why u don't take advantage of QTR which is a totally legal way of having it husbands school pay tuition to ur children's schools. And this way, u can LEGALLY be eligible for programs. Also does ur husbands school do parsonage? That saves me thousands. My income is 130k per year, but due to parsonage and QTR we are eligible for Jerseycare for my kids

Qtr is capped at 12k per family and yes we take parsonage which yes we report. We are a family of five five and still not eligible for programs even after that.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:15 pm
Can somebody please educate me:
what is QTR? my husband is a rebbi in one school, my kids go to another shcool, so no free tuition there.
What is QTR and how can it benefit us? and how can I set it up?
Thanks!

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
Can somebody please educate me:
what is QTR? my husband is a rebbi in one school, my kids go to another shcool, so no free tuition there.
What is QTR and how can it benefit us? and how can I set it up?
Thanks!

Are you in New York?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:47 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Are you in New York?

I don't know about the poster who originally asked about QTR, but I am in NY and would love to know how it works. Also, is it really capped at $12K per family? (A Google search did not yield any info.)

keym

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:54 pm
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt.....JQfs-

Maybe this will help.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:02 pm
keym wrote:
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLfSJjynlbszkAhwlx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNDJqMmRrBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDTlNSUEMwXzEEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1534737124/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.legalsupportservicesllc.org%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f06%2fQTR-Article.pdf/RK=2/RS=oVoMWFKV._PRy9k9t1ae3KiJQfs-

Maybe this will help.

I'm very confused now. What sort of income IS allowed to be used towards QTR?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know about the poster who originally asked about QTR, but I am in NY and would love to know how it works. Also, is it really capped at $12K per family? (A Google search did not yield any info.)

I'm not in New York, but I know that Agudas Yisroel worked on getting it approved. Basically, it means that if you work for a nonprofit, they can pay your tuition directly and it will not be included in your income. I don't know much about the guidelines or caps though.

ETA: I just read through keym's link. It sounds as if the guidelines are complicated, perhaps the school can help you with this. Or maybe hire your own accountant to do the research for you.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:

There is no official 12k per family max. It is just the rule at my husbands school. There is a lot of gray areas with qtr so the school has to draw the line somewhere...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:42 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Are you in New York?

no, im in maryland. Why? Does it not apply outside of NY state?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:05 pm
QTR is a benefit that is put as a perk in addition to the salary to pay for the employee or employee's dependents in an accredited educational institution. Since it's a fringe benefit, the amount may be capped just like all other benefits can be. This depends on whatever school you are working at and what benefits they would like to offer.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:15 pm
so the money that is paid for tuition is not just taken out of the salary? I'm pretty sure people I know who work in a school said that their tuition is taken out of their salary pretax (and they get a employee discount as well) is that not true/not legal?does it matter if it's for the school you are working for or a different school?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
no, im in maryland. Why? Does it not apply outside of NY state?

I think it's only in New York.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:55 pm
QTR is not NY-centric. There may be different "safe harbor" stipulations by state, but it can be offered anywhere in America.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:04 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I think it's only in New York.

I agree

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:06 pm
I thought QTR was in the federal tax code. It was a big talking point when the new tax law was passed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:23 pm
That is correct, it's part of the federal tax code and a nation-wide tax exempt benefit for educational institution employees.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:00 am
I thought 20% was the standard for people on scholarships.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:12 am
Moonlight wrote:
I thought 20% was the standard for people on scholarships.

My tuition bill, like I wrote above, is 80% of our take home pay. That is AFTER scholarships.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
My tuition bill, like I wrote above, is 80% of our take home pay. That is AFTER scholarships.

That's really not normal. I think you should really fight back. What are you supposed to buy groceries with?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics