Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hep B Vaccine

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:31 am
I'm not putting my child on a delayed vaccine schedule.. I just didn't want to give the hep b in the hospital.
He just had vaccines at 3 months and wasn't given the hep b.
Is that strange?
(I wasn't the one who took him to the Dr. Which is why I didn't question it on the spot)

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:49 pm
Frum Jews are not typically considered high risk for HepB so possibly your pediatrician delays it and gives more critical vaccines now. Do you know what shots your baby received?

rydys

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:45 pm
Whether he received it in the hospital or not, he should have gotten one by 3 months. I would ask the doctor why not.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:29 am
Weird. My baby got 1 at birth and second at 6 weeks

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 12:56 pm
Maybe your doctor assumed that because you rejected it in the hospital that you’d reject it now as well? I’d clarify it with him/her.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

weasley

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
Frum Jews are not typically considered high risk for HepB so possibly your pediatrician delays it and gives more critical vaccines now. Do you know what shots your baby received?

Very untrue - if a child needs to receive blood the risk is the same.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:42 pm
weasley wrote:
Very untrue - if a child needs to receive blood the risk is the same.

Or children playing in a park with other kids who may fall and scrape themselves. Kids are not that good about avoiding blood and Hep B is hearty unlike HIV.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:45 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Weird. My baby got 1 at birth and second at 6 weeks

You were supposed to give the records from the hospital to your pediatrician at your baby's first visit for the doctor to put it in your child's records. They then don't administer it to your baby

Moonlight

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:46 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You were supposed to give the records from the hospital to your pediatrician at your baby's first visit for the doctor to put it in your child's records. They then don't administer it to your baby

I did.
2 doses are given

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:49 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I did.
2 doses are given

I was specifically told by the nurse in the hospital that I should make sure to give the records to the baby's doctor so that they don't give her the vaccine again. I was just at my baby's six week visit and the doctor saw the records and said "your baby had the HepB vaccine in the hospital so she doesn't need one"

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:50 pm
I'm confused though isn't it Hep C that is transferred from blood or bodily fluids?

Moonlight

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:59 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was specifically told by the nurse in the hospital that I should make sure to give the records to the baby's doctor so that they don't give her the vaccine again. I was just at my baby's six week visit and the doctor saw the records and said "your baby had the HepB vaccine in the hospital so she doesn't need one"

THAT is weird. I just pulled my older kids immunization records and checked and yes they all had two doses, one in the hospital and a second one six weeks later. And a third at 6 mo

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:02 pm
Moonlight wrote:
THAT is weird. I just pulled my older kids immunization records and checked and yes they all had two doses, one in the hospital and a second one six weeks later. And a third at 6 mo
it is interesting. It is also the first time I recall the hospital offering to give it . My birth before this one was eight years ago, so it's possible things have changed. I just followed what the nurse told me and the doctor was on the same page .

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:11 pm
Update- it turns out he got it (part of the combination vaccine)
Thanks for the help

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:14 pm
nchr wrote:
Maybe your doctor assumed that because you rejected it in the hospital that you’d reject it now as well? I’d clarify it with him/her.

No, the Dr didn't know.
Either way, rejecting it in the hospital is not the same. They told me in the hospital I can get it done at 2 weeks and it's totally fine

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:15 pm
I don't know why your doctor didn't give it but:

About it being an issue if baby needs blood--blood for transfusions is tested through and through. The shot is not meant to prevent transmission that way.

About less likely being a frum Jew--Hep B is spread through s ex and IV drug use. Scraping your knee at the park, even if another childs blood is there from scraping their knee on the same spot, is unlikely to pass along Hep B. The way one would get it at the park is accidentally stepping on a used needle which is not all that likely to happen. If it were to happen, there is immunoglobulin to prevent Hep B transmission.

The reason they give all babies Hep B vaccine is because they failed to reduce the indidence of Hep B by only targeting high risk population. About that population--they generally speaking don't take very good care of themselves which would explain it. The thing about giving it to babies is that immunity wears off, often by the time they are at risk for having s ex or using IV drugs so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm not saying not to get it. Just that it's not the biggest deal for you to worry about and it can wait for the next visit.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:18 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

As per the CDC, The schedule for hep b is generally given in 3 doses:
1st dose: at birth
2nd dose: 1-2 months
3rd dose: 6-15 months

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 5:48 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I'm confused though isn't it Hep C that is transferred from blood or bodily fluids?

Both hep b and hep c are transferred via blood, but there's no vaccine for hep c.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics