Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Protein picky 6 year old - really need ideas plz

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:56 pm
My 6 year old is quite picky. I know that is common at his age, but my main issue with him is that he hates all proteins - nearly all types of chicken, beef, beans/legumes, omelets, quiches, and cheeses. (Exceptions below)

The proteins he DOES usually agree to eat is:
-the white part of a hard boiled egg. He can tolerate this maybe once or twice a week and then refuses to eat it again.
-fresh shnitzel - must be fried and not too thick and this too is only once a week.
-the cheese on pizza (and it can't be homemade pizza)
-yellow cheese on a homemade toasted sandwich
-milk - he loves milk and chocolate milk
-strawberry flavored leben - which is basically milk with sugar. No other yogurts or puddings.
-Vegetarian hotdogs (made of soy)

Over the past few years I've repeatedly made baked zitti, french toast, alfredo sauce, cheesecake, various types of sweet or savory chicken on the bone/chicken wings/grilled chicken/chicken stirfry, meatballs, pasta with ground beef sauce, tofu stirfry, omelets, pashtidot/quiches, borekasim filled with meat or dairy, cholent, majadera (rice with lentils), rice with chickpeas, chickpea salad, chickpeas alone, rice with beans, cream cheese sandwich, cottage cheese with fruits. He did not even want to try any of those, even when my other kids ate those things and even told him that the food is tasty.

Any other ideas please? I'm really not sure what to do with him already and am nervous as protein is so important at this age.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:01 pm
Have I overlooked you mentioning fish? Bc that's an obvious one (even fish sticks/ fish cakes if he won't eat salmon / tuna fish). Also not all fish tastes the same, and you can also put it in a stew/curry if he doesn't like the taste of the fish alone.
What about chumus / felafel? Soy crisps to snack on? Peanut butter?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:05 pm
Sorry - I forgot to add that! I serve tuna weekly. He refuses to even sit next to it.
I make various types of fish for Shabbos (salmon, gefilte fish, flounder, shnitzel fish, etc.) and he also refuses to try any of those.

He hates falafel. We get falafel balls once a month and everyone eats them except him.

PB he does not mind in cookie form. I do have a recipe for ww PB cookies that I make for him but they are packed with sugar and I'm not sure how much protein he is getting by eating 2-3 of those cookies a day since the whole recipe calls for only 1/2 a cup of PB.

Thank you for the soy crisp idea. They might be a good option. He likes crackers Smile

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:24 pm
If there's nutritious food available, he'll get the protein he needs. Unless he's showing visible signs of a protein deficit (eg weight loss, anemia) you don't have to worry. There are powder protein supplements available but if your pediatrician isn't concerned, then leave it alone. Don't get into power struggles over food.

There's a good chance that in ten years, he'll be downing steaks in bulk.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:48 pm
wow op I could have literally written this post word for word...my child is also 6 and basically eats the exact same way yours does! It causes me tremendous stress, I constantly feel like she's simply not getting enough but every single dr. I've consulted has said exactly what sapphire said- don't get into power struggles, somehow they get what they need, dont worry.

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:45 pm
Milkshakes or smoothies with protein powder

simcha2

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:59 pm
Will he eat nuts?

SpottedBanana

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:17 pm
What about hot dogs? Empire makes nitrate-free ones now.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:35 pm
You may need to hide it in baked goods
I saw cookie and cake recipes that have beans in them. But, if he’s ok with weight I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 6:06 pm
If he’s craving mostly carb and dairy type foods it could be that certain bad bacteria or fungi in his gut are craving those types of foods to stay alive and grow. I would try eliminating all added sugar, dairy, and “bad” carbs (can still give good carbs like veggies and beans etc) for 2 weeks. Also give a probiotic. I know you’ve offered good types of foods to him, but the difference is that the bad bacteria are dominating his appetite so they’ll go for what will keep them alive. If you can wipe them out by not giving in to the cravings, and repopulate with good bacteria (probiotic) the bad ones will die off and he’ll be willing to try the other types of foods. It will be a tough first week while he’s still refusing a lot but after that his palate will start to change. I know it sounds hard but it’s easier than spending so much energy and time trying to prepare alternative meals just for him and convince him to eat them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers