Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to start a legal playgroup in ny & fast
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:05 am
watergirl wrote:
Well, I have. I’ve asked a shailah before on this as well. Fwiw, I’ve never reported an illegal daycare.

What was the shaila regarding?

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
What was the shaila regarding?

Conditions in which one may be moser another jew.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:08 am
watergirl wrote:
Conditions in which one may be moser another jew.

Was it not regarding a specific case? They said you can be moser another jew in any dispute that you have without going to beis din first?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:11 am
tweety1 wrote:
... But there's mesirah! It's a level that ppl take it to, that to me is the lowest of the lowest ...

There's a lot lower than that.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
Was it not regarding a specific case? They said you can be moser another jew in any dispute that you have without going to beis din first?

Yes. Somethings can be reported. But what I was told has no bearing on you, you’d have to ask your own shailah.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:14 am
I asked a shailah when a specific situation came up and it was not an issue of abuse or neglect and we were told to assist the police in nabbing a frum Jew . But my situation did not involve an illegal daycare.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:19 am
These illegal daycares don't effect me directly. I don't live in the suburbs and my neighbors don't operate daycares out of their apartments. But you better believe I'd report them in a hot second if they did. My mom was sitting shiva at a family members home: their next door neighbor was running a daycare. I was there for only a few hours a day, and I couldn't believe what was going on! The beeping! The car doors slamming! The shouting "Rivky! did you say good Shabbos to Morah Miriam?" "Yossi!! Were you Shabbos tatty? I'm so proud of you!" When you buy a home, especially in the suburbs, you have the right to make an informed decision about buying near a school and many don't want the sound of children, the Noise pollution, the cars blocking their driveway. The wear and tear on the home and the yard can bring down home values. These are very real issues to a lot of people and they would be to me. If people operate illegal daycares it is at their own risk.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:01 am
Op here. My intention is not whether or not I was doing something right or wrong... I had no idea! I dont feel it was right of the person who reported because if it is who I suspect, she ran a playgroup before we came in the same place & it was not legal. She did it because she was upset at us, not because she felt the children were at risk. My question is whether or not there's a way to legalize the place fast & properly. It's a basement of a few family house/ building in brooklyn. What are the requirements, & is there a way to get a head start before we get the application?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
Op here. My intention is not whether or not I was doing something right or wrong... I had no idea! I dont feel it was right of the person who reported because if it is who I suspect, she ran a playgroup before we came in the same place & it was not legal. She did it because she was upset at us, not because she felt the children were at risk. My question is whether or not there's a way to legalize the place fast & properly. It's a basement of a few family house/ building in brooklyn. What are the requirements, & is there a way to get a head start before we get the application?

You need an accountant. You need to know ‘who’ is applying for the permit. That ‘who’ may be a legal entity, not you. You need professional advice.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:27 am
Re: basement - I did a quick google.

https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/child.....2.pdf

Sebastian

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:51 am
op the costs of operating legally may not make running a playgroup profitable for you

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 12:44 pm
OP - I hope you’ve communicated with the parents of the kids who except to start with you in 2 weeks. That’s should be number 1 priority now.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 12:12 am
In answer to your actual question, the process of getting approval for a day care facility takes so long that two weeks one way or another is immaterial because you would never get approval to open for this Fall.

Beyond the physical requirements in terms of what is going to be necessary for the facilities, you are going to need staff with specific backgrounds - fulfill staffing levels - have appropriate insurance. And any business with staff is going to need to be set up as a separate business entity complete with appropriate business accounts and payroll/tax mechanism. I would doubt you would be able to even get insurance unless you were licensed and able to prove that your facility met certain standards.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 4:13 am
Amarante wrote:
In answer to your actual question, the process of getting approval for a day care facility takes so long that two weeks one way or another is immaterial because you would never get approval to open for this Fall.

Beyond the physical requirements in terms of what is going to be necessary for the facilities, you are going to need staff with specific backgrounds - fulfill staffing levels - have appropriate insurance. And any business with staff is going to need to be set up as a separate business entity complete with appropriate business accounts and payroll/tax mechanism. I would doubt you would be able to even get insurance unless you were licensed and able to prove that your facility met certain standards.

Op here- What type of insurance would I need to get? Would I be be able to get the fingerprinting or anything else done without the application?

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 4:24 am
amother wrote:
Op here- What type of insurance would I need to get? Would I be be able to get the fingerprinting or anything else done without the application?

I have no expertise in the specific requirements but you would need a general liability insurance policy and workman's compensation insurance for your workers - for starters.

I would think you would want to run the business as a corporate entity which means you need to be incorporated.

The amount of time needed to be certified is such that getting your fingerprints done in the next two weeks is not going to matter one way or another.

I don't think you understand that this application is not like an application for an apartment or insurance but is the start of a complicated process in which you are going to have to jump a lot of hurdles. I would also imagine that the actual physical facilities you are using would need to be modified to comply with requirements. Did you read the requirements for using a basement that was posted upthread? Is the basement you are using in compliance - even if it is, it would have to be inspected.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 5:46 am
Amarante wrote:

She doesn’t require a separate legal entity to have employees. Just correcting the fact, not suggesting she should go that route.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
She doesn’t require a separate legal entity to have employees. Just correcting the fact, not suggesting she should go that route.

Of course an individual can have employees and pay them with appropriate withholdings and payments to the government.

However, people running a business - especially a business that is relatively high risk like daycare - would generally run it as a corporate entity because of the theoretical risks of liability.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 7:57 am
I don't know about Brooklyn, but many towns have small business advisory groups that guide people like you through the process of getting everything properly lined up. I'd suggest going to a community organization like COJO or to your public library for information.

I cannot imagine that you will get things compliant in time for the coming school year. It's also possible that the requirements are so onerous it won't be worth running the day care legally. You have some difficult decisions ahead. I wish you lots of luck.

rgr

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 8:02 am
Is there a way to rent space in a place that is already approved for a day care?

Librarian

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:30 am
I have been running a legal group family day care for over 20 years. The rules have become so onerous they are almost impossible to uphold. I have a perfect record bli ayin horah and the Dept of Social Services loves me. But I tell everyone who inquires at this point DON'T DO IT!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics