Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Rice+beans= protein?!

momof2+?

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:07 pm
Someone on Imamother mentioned this concept a little while back and I was confused/intrigued. Decided to google it. Still not clear to me.

How do rice and beans together make a protein?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:14 pm
Rice and beans contain different amino acids. When combined together they turn into a protein.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:19 pm
There are 9 essential amino acids. When a single food contains all 9 it is considered a complete protein. Most plant sources of protein only contain some of the types, not all, so they are not a complete protein. When they are combined in a dish you can get all 9 types at once, so the dish is considered a complete protein. Rice and beans separate both contain protein, but not all 9 types. Together they make a complete protein.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 9:20 pm
I think I might have been the one to say it, and after going back and googling the question, I see the ideas I had learned when I was younger are now outdated

The idea is that there are a variety of amino acids in protein, while many plant products have less of one or more. But if you combined two that had complementary amounts of different amino acids, it could equal the amount in protein.

In the past decade or two, however, it looks as if research has shown that you don't have to eat the food at the same meal, or even on the same day.

As long as you are eating a variety of healthy choices, you don't need a protein at every meal, or even every day, to be healthy.

However, if you choose low nutritional value foods instead (white flour products, sugary things, bad fats, processed foods), you don't benefit.

See more here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ining
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking