Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Where do you keep .... ?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 7:42 pm
InnerMe wrote:
where do you keep.. shopping bags?

Currently they get stuffed into a big bag and it sits on a shelf in my coat closet but:
A) They are taking up valuable space
B) It gets very messy

I got a bag dispenser but it ended up being to big to mount inside a kitchen cabinet , since my cabinets are pretty small.

Mine is mounted right inside the basement door.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 8:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Where do you store diapers and wipes/cream/powder?

So I have a changing table that my husband recently moved next to a dresser. He left a drop of space to stack up unused sleeves of diapers between the wall and changing table. On the changing table's shelves are cubbies to put in stacked diapers and wipes. Used package of wipes we keep on the changing table itself, and on the dresser next to the changing table are creams/powders (and dried wipes for Shabbos with a spray bottle)

BA

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:02 pm
I love that knapsack idea from hashems yaazor and the fact that it can hold so many! where did you buy it?
Thanks

BA

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:07 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Where do you store diapers and wipes/cream/powder?

I keep a bin in the bathroom with diapers wipes and cream. More diapers under the bathroom sink

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:41 am
Extra diaper boxes under kids beds.
Current diapers and wipes under couch embarrassed
Easy access

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 6:42 pm
BA wrote:
I love that knapsack idea from hashems yaazor and the fact that it can hold so many! where did you buy it?
Thanks

jet.com but they're available everywhere, walmart, overstock, amazon, etc

The one I got is this set https://jet.com/product/Design.....c8669 because I had a large coupon and I wanted the smaller ones for extra seating in my living room (my kids use them to play games on Shabbos, etc and I keep our couch blankets in them too....but for most people that's over kill and you can gauge the size I'm talking about by reading the description to make your own choice of what will work for you. (I guess it would be this: 30.5L x 18W x 18H in. )

This one doesn't have a hinged top. If I were doing it again, I might opt for that feature. This is a removable lid (which can be turned over and used as a tabletop and I liked that, but we don't end up using it like that, so hinged may have been better in the long run)

BA

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:17 pm
Thanks for the ideas and the link

gibberish

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:34 pm
Where do you keep dishtowels? The ones that are being used, not the extra in the linen closet. I keep them folded on the counter, but they look messy.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I get it. Ikea has an awesome washable mat for $4 but I bought it on Amazon for $10.50 last year. I couldn't make it to Ikea and the item was worth the $10.50 for me when I needed it, and still cheaper than others, and more suited to my needs.

My friend once did this with their grill pan. She didn't want to spend a lot, and from the cheaper ones the one with best reviews was Ikea's for $15. She needed it in time for YT and bought it via Amazon Prime 2 day for about $25 because it was still cheaper and better than others.

I think we once had a thread about this - paying extra sometimes for convenience.

But I wouldn't do this for furniture when the price difference is significant. I've actually been waiting to purchase for a certain furniture piece and can't seem to get myself there!

Note that Ikea's shipping prices have gone WAY, WAY down. It may be cheaper to get from Ikea directly.

irrationalrose

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:24 pm
what about something like this for dishes? it won't help with pots and pans though.

NEX Dish Rack
by NEX
Link: http://a.co/d/9tqxonR

where do you keep
- kids old workbooks/binders/tests/essays/notebooks?

- sheimos?

- breastfeeding related items like pump and nursing pads?

- shoes in the winter if you need ready access to boots, shabbos shoes, regular weekday shoes, slippers?

- produce that shouldn't be refrigerated like tomatoes, avocados, stone fruit, etc?

Geulanow

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:27 pm
I hang dishtowels on the oven door bar.
Where do you keep your cellphone? I misplace mine a lot (when not in use 🙄.)
Where do you keep bread (if you don't have a breadbox)?

salt

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:46 pm
gibberish wrote:
Where do you keep dishtowels? The ones that are being used, not the extra in the linen closet. I keep them folded on the counter, but they look messy.

Towel pegs on the kitchen wall. I sew a loop onto each dishtowel so that they don't slip off.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:16 am
irrationalrose wrote:

where do you keep
- kids old workbooks/binders/tests/essays/notebooks?

- sheimos?

- breastfeeding related items like pump and nursing pads?

- shoes in the winter if you need ready access to boots, shabbos shoes, regular weekday shoes, slippers?

- produce that shouldn't be refrigerated like tomatoes, avocados, stone fruit, etc?

Old school stuff - garbage
Sheimos, sfarim shelf
Pump, with my work bag
Nursing pads, night table
Shoes - by front door
I keep all my fruit in fridge besides bananas. I never knew you aren't supposed to fridge tomatoes or avocados? ??

baltomom

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 3:06 pm
Dishtowels--Under my sink I have a thing with 3 towel bars that actually slides out. Not a good description, sorry--I thought I bought it at Ikea but can't find on their website.

carrot

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:00 am
I love this thread.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned and I missed it, but where do you keep boxes/bags that come in the mail and have contents that are waiting to be returned? Since I buy so much online (which for me at least means a lot more to return, because I can't see/try on till it comes) it seems there is almost always a small pile (or a big pile!) of unsightly boxes waiting for attention. Or is it just me?

(Things I've bought in person that I may need to return tend to be less bulky and wait in the front closet. Also they tend to come in shopping bags which are less ugly to me than cardboard boxes and shipping envelopes.)

Regarding storing potatoes and onions: I've noticed that onions get a bitter taste when kept in the fridge. I happened to receive a pretty basket from someone's mishloach manos last year that fits a reasonable heap of potatoes and onions and looks nice on my counter, it's low and rectangular and just the right size for the spot available.

I'd like to hear more ideas for the craft projects waiting for their expiration date (I.e., when kids get bored of them and willing to let me throw them out). I have crafty kids b"h and there is a constant stream of creations. Also any ideas for ways to "automate" the process so it isn't just me tidying them up and asking kids what they want to do with these things? I can never bring myself to toss without asking the kid in question, even though most of the time they would never notice it missing...

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:37 am
What do you keep your dishwashing sponges in, that they don't get moldy and are easy to clean.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:44 am
carrot wrote:
I love this thread.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned and I missed it, but where do you keep boxes/bags that come in the mail and have contents that are waiting to be returned? Since I buy so much online (which for me at least means a lot more to return, because I can't see/try on till it comes) it seems there is almost always a small pile (or a big pile!) of unsightly boxes waiting for attention. Or is it just me?

(Things I've bought in person that I may need to return tend to be less bulky and wait in the front closet. Also they tend to come in shopping bags which are less ugly to me than cardboard boxes and shipping envelopes.)

Regarding storing potatoes and onions: I've noticed that onions get a bitter taste when kept in the fridge. I happened to receive a pretty basket from someone's mishloach manos last year that fits a reasonable heap of potatoes and onions and looks nice on my counter, it's low and rectangular and just the right size for the spot available.

I'd like to hear more ideas for the craft projects waiting for their expiration date (I.e., when kids get bored of them and willing to let me throw them out). I have crafty kids b"h and there is a constant stream of creations. Also any ideas for ways to "automate" the process so it isn't just me tidying them up and asking kids what they want to do with these things? I can never bring myself to toss without asking the kid in question, even though most of the time they would never notice it missing...

For possible online returns, I keep 1 big box in a mostly unseen corner (living room area) and keep the returns there. I keep extra shipping bags/packets there too, and try to eliminate unnecessary big boxes if I can use the bags/packs instead to return the items.

For craft projects, start taking pictures of the kids holding them so that you memorialize the project right away for eternity and also show the kids your delight for their work. Hopefully with time you can get them to be ready to toss earlier and on their own. Once they feel it's important to you too, you can institute a throw out projects on Sunday routine where they do it themselves for the previous week's paper projects.
For really good keepsake projects (canvas paintings, plaster shapes), keep stands on top of the bookshelves / chest to hold those, and once the stands fill up, in order to have a new one added, they need to retire one of the older ones.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
What do you keep your dishwashing sponges in, that they don't get moldy and are easy to clean.

I have a little sponge holder that suctions to the side of the sink. It drains so sponge dries

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:17 am
Moonlight wrote:
I have a little sponge holder that suctions to the side of the sink. It drains so sponge dries

I have only one sink so I need a place for my milichig, fleishig and parave sponge. I will look into those suction holders to maybe use on the wall right above my sink. If anyone else has a link to a free standing sponge holder that they use.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
I have only one sink so I need a place for my milichig, fleishig and parave sponge. I will look into those suction holders to maybe use on the wall right above my sink. If anyone else has a link to a free standing sponge holder that they use.

These are options
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Gri.....older

https://express.google.com/u/0.....24597
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics