Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help me figure out how to feed my kids

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 2:52 pm
We just moved OOT from NY where we don't have pizza convenient, and chicken and meat are more expensive. My kids (7,6,3) weren't super picky, as long as I had those options. They do eat all kids of fruits, vegetables and don't shun whole grains, but I'm having difficulty planning "meals": lunches ( must take lunch to school) and supper.

One kid the only fleishig's he eats is hot dogs--I would get the all-natural empire ones to make it a little bit healthier but they aren't as available where I am. He otherwise like PLAIN noodles, PLAIN rice, fish sticks (have yet to find a good deal on those locally), bread (likes peanut butter but that can only be at home) , oatmeal, cereal, raw veggies.

Next kid likes chicken, chicken nuggets, meat--like cholent meat, fruit cups, apple sauce, bread, and is suddenly VERY picky and will take one bite and decide "he doesn't like it"

third kid likes "real food" but tends to eat "what's available that she likes"--which can be hard to pinpoint.

They don't like potatoes--not even French fries, or vegetable soups. Won't touch macaroni with cheese.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:24 pm
Wow, sounds like you have 3 versions of my daughter, depending on what day you ask!

Overall, you seem to have a very healthy range of foods. Picky eaters can drive a mom to tears. BTDT.

How many other Jewish families are in your town? A lot of OOT places have a co-op where they get together and make bulk orders to be delivered once a month. You need a big freezer to make it work, but you will save a fortune. Mainly, it's meat and cheese, the big two expenses. Sometimes you can get nuggets and fish sticks in bulk as well. It's worth looking into.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:31 pm
Co-op/shul makolet/orders in bulk/someone going to town to buy are all viable options.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:56 am
We are considering the buying-in-bulk method, most people do do that, but right now, we don't have a 2nd freezer and probably won't happen until after yom tov. I need to figure out how to feed them on a daily basis. I don't think there's the co-op here, I checked.

Miracle happened that they just decided that they like macaroni and cheese, but we do a lot of pasta and we're trying to cut back.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:00 am
What about quinoa? Can be made into patties, pilaf, sweet or savoury.

Tirza

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 5:59 am
Do they like breakfast-type foods? Pancakes or waffles with fruit, scrambled eggs or omelet with vegetables, breakfast wraps, bagels with cream cheese with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers on the side, hard boiled eggs with crackers and sliced cheese,,, all of these things can be lunch or dinner once in a while.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 8:16 am
Would turkey roll work?

How will you cook for yomtov if you can’t buy meat?

One of my picky eaters has been taking a slice of whole wheat bread with a little cream cheese for lunch the last 2 years

Another takes a packages noodle soup and adds hot water ( he is 12 and has access to hot water)

I wouldn’t worry about their lunch- they just need something in their stomachs to fill them up till they get home.., it can be pretzels and applesauce... whatever they will eat

Focus more on breakfast and dinner
Eggs, salad, corn... grilled cheese.... learn how to make your own pizza- it’s not hard and many out of towners do that.

If you can get a hold of ground meat, make meatballs and freeze for dinners

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:45 am
Will your kids eat veggie soup? I find it’s the best vehicle for me to get maximum nutrition into my kids. Add beans and it’s protein packed too.

(Not clear if you said they won’t eat veg soup or just not potatoes in veg soup but there are so many ways to make veg soup that I’m sure you can find some that work).

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
Would turkey roll work?

How will you cook for yomtov if you can’t buy meat?

One of my picky eaters has been taking a slice of whole wheat bread with a little cream cheese for lunch the last 2 years

Another takes a packages noodle soup and adds hot water ( he is 12 and has access to hot water)

I wouldn’t worry about their lunch- they just need something in their stomachs to fill them up till they get home.., it can be pretzels and applesauce... whatever they will eat

Focus more on breakfast and dinner
Eggs, salad, corn... grilled cheese.... learn how to make your own pizza- it’s not hard and many out of towners do that.

If you can get a hold of ground meat, make meatballs and freeze for dinners

So far they don't like deli meats. They have meat here, but not in large quantities (also more expensive) or they order in bulk. They don't like grilled cheese or homemade pizza. I used to make for my husband and myself.

Also tricky trying to find a meal that they all like without making individual suppers

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 10:45 am
I am on a VERY tight budget, and I just bought a second hand freezer with money I don't have right now. I think it's worth every penny, because when you run across sales you can stock up. Not to mention the convenience of cooking ahead and packaging small portions. If you do the coop with the community, you will save a small fortune.

A good example is bakery stuff. Baked goods are insanely expensive, considering how cheap the ingredients are. Buy-day old whenever possible. Ask at the counter and see what day is the best day to come and get first pick. With the money you save, you can put it toward your meat budget.

DVOM

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:46 pm
My dear, I feel for you. I have four kids, two will eat anything not nailed down, but the other two...

Son number one will eat Matzo with butter or peanut butter, chicken cutlets grilled or baked with spices, spiral pasta with meat sauce, potatoes from the chulant, pizza, pancakes, scrambled eggs, dry cereal, cheese slices, and yogurt.

Son number three will eat Chicken on the bone, plain challah or challah with cheese, pizza, french toast, pancakes, yogurt, apples, grapes and dry cereal.

They both (of course!) will eat a wide variety of cakes, cookies and candy.

I would love to make interesting and creative meals, but it's just not worth it. I try to sneak in veggies wherever I can. My meat sauce has zucchini, mushrooms, and eggplant in it. I make pancakes with pureed pumpkin. I add baby food jars of carrot or mashed up sweet potato to the chicken sauce. For a while, they were gobbling up a chocolate cake that I made with pureed cans of beans and prunes, but they started not liking it anymore and it's been a while since I've made it. Honestly, I just try not to worry about it or think about it too much. They will grow up one day and hopefully develop braver palettes. In the meantime, they seem to be growing and thriving just fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics