Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Couch that opens to 2 beds

tf

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:00 pm
I am looking to buy a high quality couch that opens to 2 separate beds. The furniture piece as well as the mattresses must be able to be used on a regular basis, normal usage and still stay strong. If you have one like it and you are satisfied please let me know the details of it. Important information is where you bought it, brand, and any relevant information that might be a deal maker or braker.
TIA
ETA: Brooklyn area

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:02 pm
Do you mean a couch? Sofa bed? or a Daybed? I dont' think I've ever seen a sectional type couch with two separate beds unless you wanted to go with 2 sofa beds .

tf

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:11 pm
I thought I heard of it a while ago. But if it's not possible then maybe the sofa bed style will do. But does it have high quality mattresses? I don't want the mattresses that fold over to hide underneath the sofa. BTW, I don't know the difference between sofa and couch. Can you please explain?
Not a daybed, though.

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:30 pm
So a sofa bed opens up easily but they aren't good quality mattresses meant for everyday long term use. A daybed is REAL mattresses with a trundle that does or does not pop up. that get covered up during the day but no box spring.

Futons are another possibility they "lay down" at night to become a bed. Probably better than a sofa bed in terms of comfort, but I've heard not amazingly so. (my husband had one at his parents' home while he was in yeshiva).

Sofa vs couch may be a matter of semantics, but sofa is usually just a simple 3-4 seat piece, where as a couch to me is more of a sectional which is traditionally in an L shape so not conducive to a 2-bed arrangement.

Growing up my parents had a couch that was side-by-side 2 twin pull-out beds that were used as beds--but not regularly but I haven't seen that style (the couch was over 50 years old when it was finally thrown out) it was a "Castro convertible"--I haven't seen a "couch" by them in a long time but they make an ottoman that converts into a bed.

tf

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:12 pm
Wow are you using a lot of terms here which basically mean very similar things to me. Based on your descriptions I guess what I'm looking for is called futon. I guess I'll also consider a daybed with cushions that come close to couch for use during the day.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:27 pm
A futon is not comfortable enough for sleeping every night & not comfortable enough if this will be your official couch. A sofa bed opens up to 1 queen size bed, but the mattress gets folded up inside the sofa & it's not very comfortable.
I think your best bet would be a nice daybed with cushions & a pull out trundle bed. They're regular comfortable mattresses.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:05 pm
This is what u are looking for
https://friedmandecorators.com

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:15 pm
Kumphort wrote:

Wow that's really awesome for guest option in a converted family room!
https://friedmandecorators.com/hi_risers_1

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:52 pm
Kumphort wrote:

I've seen these in person and slept on them myself. Definitely recommend. Obviously it doesn't look as fashionable as a 'regular' couch but it's really great and perfect for this kind of purpose.

heffer569

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:11 pm
We have one it’s a couch that a second trundle pulls out of but it is an actual couch just with one cushion that acts as a mattress and the trundle has a second mattress. It has been moved 3 times and is about 16 years old. Still looks brand new. We got it at a furniture store on ft Hamilton I can’t remember the name but it was a large store that looked more like a warehouse then a fancy furniture store. We where able to customize it with what material we wanted it covered in.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:22 pm
heffer569 wrote:
We have one it’s a couch that a second trundle pulls out of but it is an actual couch just with one cushion that acts as a mattress and the trundle has a second mattress. It has been moved 3 times and is about 16 years old. Still looks brand new. We got it at a furniture store on ft Hamilton I can’t remember the name but it was a large store that looked more like a warehouse then a fancy furniture store. We where able to customize it with what material we wanted it covered in.

I saw this type years ago, but have no idea where to purchase. I wonder which warehouse furniture store on Ft Hmltn 🤷‍♀

tf

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:41 pm
Thank you, friends. This is exactly what I meant.👍👍👍awesome.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:49 pm
Kumphort wrote:

Does anyone know what they cost now, and whether they ship to Lakewood, or if theres a store that sells similar (2 twin beds that look like a couch when the lower bed isnt pulled out), in Lakewood?

tia

busy mommy

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:00 pm
I have one that I bought on Wayfair. It was very reasonable. I had to buy the mattresses separate.
This is not mine (I can't find mine) but it is similar.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:03 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Does anyone know what they cost now, and whether they ship to Lakewood, or if theres a store that sells similar (2 twin beds that look like a couch when the lower bed isnt pulled out), in Lakewood?

tia

Not cheap but you get to choose material type/print/texture. They should deliver.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:56 pm
busy mommy wrote:
I have one that I bought on Wayfair. It was very reasonable. I had to buy the mattresses separate.
This is not mine (I can't find mine) but it is similar.

Its very nice but Id love a sofa looking one, that I can use in a study, that wont be obvious that its a bed.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:23 pm
My mother has a beautiful up to date new one I’ll try to find out where it is from I think it was $$ though

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
My mother has a beautiful up to date new one I’ll try to find out where it is from I think it was $$ though

Thanks.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:30 pm
I slept on such a sofa for a couple of years and felt like a regular bed.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 6:19 pm
Anything else out there thats less expensive than the Friedmans option, that looks like a sofa?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics