Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career Change Help

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:04 pm
Hi All,

I have a Masters Degree in Education/Special Education with extra training in counseling. I have practiced in those fields for many years, and the work has become draining and intense. There were parts I enjoyed, and parts I'm ready to be done with. I am looking for a career change.

Part II is, I would love to open up a home-based business so I can work part time and be available for my kids. I was interested in going into graphic design because I would really love to do creative work. However, I have a relative who is already in the field and she expressed that she would be upset if I were to go into the same field (not sure why she sees me as competition, but she does). I am a bit disappointed, because I love the idea of doing creative and enjoyable work part-time from home and making a pretty good income (which I feel describes graphic design). With that being said, I need to think of another creative job (maybe similar) and would love to hear your opinions!!!

My talents include: writing, working with people, and I do have an artistic flair.

I was also thinking about a home-based embroidery business, but I have no way of learning what to do without lots of trial and error, and I feel that it is a big monetary investment because the machines and supplies are pretty expensive.

Are blogs financially lucrative? Not sure if that's a good career for a frum woman, unless I do it anonymously.

Please share what you think. Thanks!

Posting anonymously because I have discussed this with people IRL.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:09 pm
It's a myth that having a home based business will give you more time with your kids.

I've had several businesses, many blogs, and now am a newborn photographer with a studio in my home.

I often pay a babysitter to watch my daughter so I can catch up on work.

Many nights I go to bed extremely late due to work.

If I have a simcha or a child's dentist/doctor appointment, or I don't feel well.... I get terribly backlogged, and it can take weeks to catch up.

While I love my business, it's much less stressful to be an employee than a business owner!

Hatzlachah!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:34 pm
I was actually thinking of photography- it would probably take lots of time to build up a client base though. Especially since I live in an OOT area, not really sure how many people are running to do pictures on a daily basis. I would also probably need to take a course- may I ask how you trained?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:44 pm
I read an article recently about being a product photographer. It sounded so interesting and since you are not dealing with people and their schedules I wonder if its conducive to better hours?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:56 pm
Sounds like an interesting job. I'll look into it. Thank you!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:26 pm
I’m the queen of career change. Right now I am working at home in a ‘call centre’. It’s not super high pay but the conditions are perfect, no commute and my skills are transferable. It’s reliable and somewhat flexible. Is it everything I dreamed of as a businessperson? No, but I don’t take my work home with me and I’m happy with my forty hours a week.

The training is amazing, it’s a Jewish organization and there’s potential for higher income. I love my job and feel appreciated too. Very grateful to have found it. Would have killed for this when my kids were little.

Past jobs include:

10 years in the social services
Marketing for an optical chain
Construction administration
Landlords agent
Caterer
Restaurateur
Group home Counsellor
Aquatic director ( lifeguard and instructor)
Tonnes of volunteer work of various descriptions.

Running my own business is WAY harder and more time consuming than working for someone else.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
I was actually thinking of photography- it would probably take lots of time to build up a client base though. Especially since I live in an OOT area, not really sure how many people are running to do pictures on a daily basis. I would also probably need to take a course- may I ask how you trained?

You can read all about my journey here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=60

Optione

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:47 pm
web design?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 6:47 am
Never really thought about web design, not sure if I would be interested in it... When I said graphics, I was thinking more about things like thank you cards, invitations, ads, flyers, etc. I can look into web design though. Thanks so much!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 6:47 am
Thank you Tranquility and Peace. I will check it out!

Kumphort

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 6:53 am
Why not combine ur artistic flair and eduction degrees and try and offer teachers help with creating bulliten boards. Learning packages etc.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
I’m the queen of career change. Right now I am working at home in a ‘call centre’. It’s not super high pay but the conditions are perfect, no commute and my skills are transferable. It’s reliable and somewhat flexible. Is it everything I dreamed of as a businessperson? No, but I don’t take my work home with me and I’m happy with my forty hours a week.

The training is amazing, it’s a Jewish organization and there’s potential for higher income. I love my job and feel appreciated too. Very grateful to have found it. Would have killed for this when my kids were little.

Past jobs include:

10 years in the social services
Marketing for an optical chain
Construction administration
Landlords agent
Caterer
Restaurateur
Group home Counsellor
Aquatic director ( lifeguard and instructor)
Tonnes of volunteer work of various descriptions.

Running my own business is WAY harder and more time consuming than working for someone else.

How did you find this job?
Are you working straight throughout the day or can you stop every once in a while to do laundry, cook supper etc?

krembo

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:11 am
If you're artistic and creative and have a sped background, what about Teachers Pay Teachers? If you find the right niche you can do well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics