Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No more Cheerios?
1  2  Next

STMommy

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:47 pm
https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7002/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0......html

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:48 pm
no more oatmeal either.

leah233

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:34 pm
I don't have enough information to have an opinion but I'm wary about any claim
coming from "An environmental research and advocacy group"

As long as they are the ONLY ones making that claim I'm ignoring it.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:57 pm
Do more research. It's no joke especially since many of us eat oats in various forms on a daily basis .

leah233

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:02 pm
What research is there to do?

An environmentalist advocacy groups is claiming (1)to have traces of a weed killer in oat products and (2)it can cause cancer in children .

How is any regular person able to verify or disprove either of those claims?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:30 pm
The oats companies do not deny that Roundup is found in their products but they claim the amounts are safe. Organic oats have a lot less. The reason why they have any is from cross contamination from regular oats. Somebody just won a court case claiming Roundup caused his cancer. I believe in Europe (I haven't looked up the article recently) it's already banned.Would you take a chance on stuff you or your children eat every day until we know more? Would you believe the manufacturers of an item or an outside agency that as far as we know, won't make any money on this?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:37 pm
It always baffles my mind which things go mainstream and which don't.

All GMO products are literally drowning in glyphosate (roundup), that means 90% of wheat, corn and soy in the USA. What the GMO basically does it make the plant be able to survive vast amounts of this weed killer, which would normally kill the plant itself (round-up ready). Plus all other crops that are not organic.

Not sure what's new about this.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:46 pm
My box of Cheerios says it's not GMO.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:53 pm
oneofakind wrote:
My box of Cheerios says it's not GMO.
GMO stuff has the most glyphosate. But it's found in all produce that's not organic to some extent.

The point was, where are the articles telling people not to serve their kids wheat? And do you know how many products contain corn? And soy? It's in so many additives. All full of glyphosate. Yet no one mainstream is announcing it. I wonder what made this go mainstream.

STMommy

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
I wonder what made this go mainstream.

Probably the very recent lawsuit won against Monsanto by the unfortunate gentleman dying of cancer from years of working with Roundup, so it's forefront in the news.

To the amother posting above who expressed skepticism about the veracity of the information, why? I always thought EWG was reliable.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 9:41 pm
STMommy wrote:
To the amother posting above who expressed skepticism about the veracity of the information, why? I always thought EWG was reliable.

This. If there's anyone to distrust [ETA: in such a scenario], it's big money corporations like Monsanto.

Last edited by Teomima on Fri, Aug 24 2018, 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:43 am
Only in America were Cheerios ever considered healthy.

Teomima

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:50 am
amother wrote:
Only in America were Cheerios ever considered healthy.

Maybe not exactly HEALTHY, as in good-for-you healthy, but when compared to other packaged breakfast cereals, plain, regular, old fashioned Cheerios (NOT Multigrain, Honey Nut, etc.)? They're about as good as it gets.

goldrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:52 am
Teomima wrote:
This. If there's anyone to distrust, it's big money corporations like Monsanto.

I agree.
Why is it any different when it comes to vaccines? Somehow everyone trusts them.

Teomima

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:55 am
goldrose wrote:
I agree.
Why is it any different when it comes to vaccines? Somehow everyone trusts them.

Because when it comes to vaccines, I'm not trusting the big money corporations, I'm trusting the facts. The eradication and near eradication of horrific diseases such as smallpox, polio, etc. The proof is in the pudding.

Vaccines save lives. Cheerios are fun to eat, but nobody was spared from death thanks to their breakfast cereal.

chummus

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:56 am
If we really thought about everything we ate we'd probably starve!!!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 7:18 am
If Quaker instant oatmeal original is not on their list, do I need to worry? I eat a packet most mornings and 1-2 times per week my kids ask for it too.

Orchid

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:11 am
chummus wrote:
If we really thought about everything we ate we'd probably starve!!!

If all we eat is processed "food" with lists upon lists of unpronounceable chemicals, you're right, we will starve if we give it up. But if we eat food as Hashem intended and how they ate for generations before processed food was even a thing, I think we will be ok and not starve.

Example: you can make bread with flour, yeast, sugar, eggs and oil. Is that what's in your packaged bread? No! There are dough conditioners and all kinds of preservatives and flavorings and colorings that do nothing for your health (unless you're living on a marooned island and your top priority is for your food to stay fresh and not go bad. For the rest of civilized society, we don't need preservatives in all our food, since we can easily get a new loaf of bread if this one goes bad.)

As to the original posting, the fact that Cheerios and oats have alarmingly high instances of pesticides have been in the news for years already, if you know which news to follow. (Hint: it's not the ones sponsored by Mosanto and Big Chemical).

lucky14

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:47 pm
Not surprised. They treat all the plants with horrible stuff to keep the bugs off and to keep them from dying of disease. How do we expect them to be clean from everything we eat? I don't have the money to buy organic exclusively. I try for some things occasionally but we just do not have the income for that. We are still eating cheerios. If knows if any inexpensive organic breakfast cereals that are low in sugar even exists please let me know! Would be very helpufl.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:36 pm
My son lives on General Mills cheerios. Do I have to stop that?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics