Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dead end / Cul-de-sac street
1  2  Next

hisweety

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:33 pm
what are your thoughts on living on a dead end street?
I know privacy is a huge perk but I’m concerned about busses not coming in. Snow removal, dead end streets r probably the last ones to clean and won’t make a big effort to clean well anyways. And this might be lame, but do I need to be more scared of thefts? It’s a wooded dead end (it’s not a cul-de-sac with a circle and houses all around).

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:35 pm
If it's not a cul-de-sac, the busses don't have where to turn around. They are legally not allowed to enter. I live on a cul-de-sac and the busses do come in. I don't think I would move to a street where I need to wait at the corner for every bus.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:37 pm
I grew up on a cul de sac as a circle of houses and there was no problem with snow removal etc. Sometimes the driver of a great big truck thought he found a short cut, didn't see the dead end sign, and had to sloooowly back out because his truck was too big to turn around. Honestly, a wooded dead-end would freak me out.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:44 pm
I live on a small cup de sac. It’s nice, much quieter than a city block. Buses do not come up the block but it’s a short block so kids walk to the corner. Snow definitely gets removed. I don’t think it takes much longer than other blocks. There are houses only on our cul de sac, no woods so I’m not sure what that’s like. It feels safe surrounded by 6 other houses on our cul de sac. Our block is all Frum families. The nicest part about living here is that all the children play outside together. On shabbos they can all go in the middle of the street. We actually saw a house identical to ours on a busier block when we were looking to buy. Due to the privacy of the cul de sac, our house was about $10,000 more and we decided to take it. No regrets.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:46 pm
I love cul de sacs

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:59 pm
We live on a dead end street. Not wooded though. The busses don't come in obviously but it's a very short dead end, just 6 houses, 10 families. We never had a problem with snow removal. I love it & I The kids are free to run around & ride their bikes on the street.

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:06 am
Buses would be my main consideration. I couldn't wait with my children three diff shifts on a corner on a cold or rainy day.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:08 am
If there’s room for a bus to turn around some nice drivers will drive up a cul de sac for a nice tip of course!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 5:53 am
I live on a cul-de-sac.

Snow removal is not a problem compared to other side streets. Major through streets are cleared sooner, but I wouldn't want to live on such a busy street. Some towns do a better job of snow removal than others, so that can be a factor. Best to ask people who live in the neighborhood.

Buses do come in to the cul-de-sac, although not all schools offer door-to-door transportation so some kids wait on the corner anyway. If your street doesn't have a place to turn around, your stop may be at the corner which is really ok, IMO. We have done both and there are pros and cons both ways.

hisweety

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:27 am
Thanks for ur input ladies... it really helps to get different perspectives...

hisweety

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:44 am
This might need a new thread but I’ll try to ask it here.
Would u knock into some houses on the block as a potent new neighbor to ask questions about the neighborhood? (Some of them or all of them r not Jewish)

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:51 am
How wide is the street? Are there cars parked on both sides? If it's hard to turn around and get in and out of a driveway, I would think twice. Dd had a friend who lived in a street like this, and I never went in to drop her or pick her up after too many fender benders.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:55 am
hisweety wrote:
I know privacy is a huge perk but I’m concerned about busses not coming in. Snow removal, dead end streets r probably the last ones to clean and won’t make a big effort to clean well anyways. And this might be lame, but do I need to be more scared of thefts? It’s a wooded dead end (it’s not a cul-de-sac with a circle and houses all around).

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 8:55 am
hisweety wrote:
Would u knock into some houses on the block as a potent new neighbor to ask questions about the neighborhood? (Some of them or all of them r not Jewish)

No. I'd speak to a real estate agent and/or broker and ask him for information and telephone numbers of people who currently live in the area and are able to provide details to answer my questions.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 9:44 am
hisweety wrote:

Knock only the ones with mezuzahs or approach Jews outside. Please don't ask the non-Jews.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 9:46 am
LIved on one. Yes snow removal is slooooow, but we needed it maybe once every few years. Busses never came there because there was no bus station, but I wouldn't expect them to come unless there was a bus station. Privacy was nice. People getting lost was annoying.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 9:56 am
hisweety wrote:

I thought it was possible you are moving to my block until you posted about non-Jews. The neighbors watch out for each other, so the houses are actually safer. We know who belongs.

The moms wait for the buses together. Those that drive help out those that don't when the weather is bad.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:15 am
There are probably millions of such places, why would you assume she is moving to yours

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
There are probably millions of such places, why would you assume she is moving to yours

Dead end, wooded area at the end, house for sale, strangers asking about the area, no other place around fits that description.

Dead ends are generally not allowed because they are hazardous.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:48 am
Why in the world are dead ends hazardous?? I'm living in a dead end for years, never had ant hazards. There are so many dead ends in Monsey, never heard of them being hazardous.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating