Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Iso pickled corned beef in Brooklyn?
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:21 pm
I'm embarrassed that I don't know this. I saw a recipe in Real Life Kosher Cooking or Bais Yaakov Cookbook that had pickled corned beef. What is this and does Moishas Supermarket carry this? Is it called pickled corned beef or does it have another name? What does it mean, they actually put pickle spices on it?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:22 pm
It's... corned beef. Aka pickled meat. Or just plain corned beef.
The meat is corned, cured, or pickled, whichever term you prefer.
Moshe's carries many cuts of corned beef. Choose one and cook as per instructions on the butcher's package.

simba

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:24 pm
I've seen it at KRM so I assume Moishe's carries it as well.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's... corned beef. Aka pickled meat. Or just plain corned beef.
The meat is corned, cured, or pickled, whichever term you prefer.
Moshe's carries many cuts of corned beef. Choose one and cook as per instructions on the butcher's package.

How do I know which type of cut of corned beef for the recipe if they have a few to choose what's the difference between them?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
How do I know which type of cut of corned beef for the recipe if they have a few to choose what's the difference between them?

You can't go wrong with a brisket cut. Deckle is a great cheaper alternative. Stay away from mock tender kolichel which is very dry. Good luck!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can't go wrong with a brisket cut. Deckle is a great cheaper alternative. Stay away from mock tender kolichel which is very dry. Good luck!

Brisket cut corn beef is different than regular brisket? or is it the same?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
Brisket cut corn beef is different than regular brisket? or is it the same?

They take a brisket, and pickle it/corn it/cure it for 10 days. When you cook it, it's pink and salty, like the cold cut. Really delicious fresh and hot.

The label at Moishas will say pickled 1st cut brisket or pickled 2nd cut brisket.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
They take a brisket, and pickle it/corn it/cure it for 10 days. When you cook it, it's pink and salty, like the cold cut. Really delicious fresh and hot.

thanks

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:09 pm
The best corn beef is sold at chef-ah - 13 &48th.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
The best corn beef is sold at chef-ah - 13 &48th.

Chef-Ah no longer exists.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
Chef-Ah no longer exists.

Really??? I didn’t know! I moved to Lakewood and I really miss that store. So surprised they closed!

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 12:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:

What about pickled corned beef top of the rib, Is that Deckle?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
What about pickled corned beef top of the rib, Is that Deckle?

The top of the rib from KRM/Moisha's is kind of a mess. Thin and long and folded over. The direction of the grain changes too. I assume they're not cutting it correctly. It's a delicious cut, kind of like a paper thin brisket, but you won't get nice slices.
I think they have 1st cut brisket corned beef on sale this week? I saw KRM advertised not sure about Moisha's.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The top of the rib from KRM/Moisha's is kind of a mess. Thin and long and folded over. The direction of the grain changes too. I assume they're not cutting it correctly. It's a delicious cut, kind of like a paper thin brisket, but you won't get nice slices.
I think they have 1st cut brisket corned beef on sale this week? I saw KRM advertised not sure about Moisha's.

I think I'll get the brisket cut. Second is beter?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I think I'll get the brisket cut. Second is beter?

I love second cut. It has more fat. My husband likes first cut better. They're both good!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:11 pm
Thanks RA Mom, I made the corned beef for RH and now making it again for Sukkos. Came out so good!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks RA Mom, I made the corned beef for RH and now making it again for Sukkos. Came out so good!

So glad to hear!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:05 pm
first off, ra_mom, your expertise in all areas culinary is astounding and so appreciated. thanks so much for sharing with us.
is dekel more fatty? want to buy a pickled roast for second days. looking for something not fatty.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
first off, ra_mom, your expertise in all areas culinary is astounding and so appreciated. thanks so much for sharing with us.
is dekel more fatty? want to buy a pickled roast for second days. looking for something not fatty.

Deckle isn't fatty.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Deckle isn't fatty.

great. just wanted to check on that. dekel it is. I hope my grocery has it. is there another name they might call it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries