Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy meatballs, less sugar

hello321

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:05 am
Usually meatballs have sugar in the recipes. Anyone have a tasty recipe with lessor zero sugar

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:08 am
I don't use any sugar
Inise a mix of meat and chicken
I don't put in any fillers.
Sauce I saute onions and garlic. Put in frozen basil or dried basil and salt. Then use tomato sauce or trader Joe marinara sauce in a can.
I play around with it. That's my basic recipe.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:42 am
I just use jarred marinara sauce.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:43 am
You don't need sugar in meatballs . maybe your taste buds are used to it or something though. So just cut it out and you will get use to without. I think it is just an American thing to put sugar w something like that

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 5:02 am
I do a mix of tomato sauce, tomato paste, a little garlic powder soy sauce and ketchup. It’s yum.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 5:44 am
I didnt know you put sugar in meatballs. I just mix 800 gr ground meat with a third cup bread crumbs and an egg.
Form balls and cook in a seasoned tomato sauce.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 7:22 am
Other than my mother in law’s meatballs, I’ve never heard of putting sugar in them (she puts tons of sugar in everything she makes). I put onion powder, garlic powder, sometimes oregano and basil, egg, and bread crumbs. Thats it.

hello321

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:03 am
Can someone post more of an exact recipe? I’m nervous to try a new recipe with this without a real recipe

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:12 am
Why sugar?
Do you mean in the sauce or the actual meat balls?
If you want a sweet-ish sauce sautée a lot of onions

Maryann

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:49 pm
hello321 wrote:
Can someone post more of an exact recipe? I’m nervous to try a new recipe with this without a real recipe

My exact recipe.
Boil tomato sauce,

Pk of chopped meat mixed with tablespoon of salt.
Form ball and Drop into bubbling tomato sauce

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 2:07 pm
Exact recipe:
For two lb of ground beef or dark turkey

Slice two onions into thin rings and distribute in the bottom of two 8x8 pans or one larger one. Distribute 12 -16 whole fresh garlic cloves (or equivalent in the cubes of chopped) among the onion pieces. Sprinkle lightly (say about 1/2 tsp per pan),with turmeric (for more of a persian/middle.eastern flavor) or dried basil. If you have fresh basil, that's even better. Make small meatballs and place on top of the veggies. Pour a 16 oz can of tomatoes on top of each pan. (Yes, if you have a 28 Oz can and want to.divide it between 2 pans that will be fine.) Tomato sauce works too. I've never tried marinara sauce but can't see why not. Cover with foil and bake until tender veggies and meat are quite soft, about an hour. You can also add other veggies to this. Sliced zuchinni and/or mushrooms are nice. So are tiny little potatoes that are about the same size as your meatballs. This is pretty much impossible to mess up! Get creative! Reheats beautifully. Freezes beautifully. Impossible to mess.up. I have 3 pans in my freezer right now for yt.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 2:07 pm
cbg wrote:
Why sugar?
Do you mean in the sauce or the actual meat balls?
If you want a sweet-ish sauce sautée a lot of onions

Or make your own sauce from the ripest tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking