Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dressing well

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 9:50 pm
I love dressing nicely and put together, slimming clothing ect. But I really don't have a knack for shopping and dressing well. It takes me long time to get something right, and sometimes when I really find something perfect I would wear it for years. Please educate me! How do you buy such beautiful clothing? Is it just a talent?

chummus

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:54 pm
It's really mazel...either you have a great shopping day or you find absolutely nothing!!

Emotional

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 11:05 pm
Also, let's face it, if you're naturally slim it's alot easier and cheaper to dress well than if you're significantly overweight. 😟

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:47 am
Following.
I also want to dress well but not copy most recent trends, to me it feels tacky.

Eta: how to dress "well", not copying latest fashion yet not outdated, like an old lady boring clothes, and not like a better dressed school teacher? I'm in mid-thirties and don't feel old.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:08 am
Not easy when I'm fashion clueless, short waisted and have a bulging tummy.
Maxi, empire waist, fit & flare,peplum dresses all look bad.

das

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:11 am
It's partly a talent and partly knowing where to shop. There are certain boutiques where I just trust particular staff's judgement. They've sold me pieces that are very flattering and I wear again and again.

Tell us where you live and we can suggest places to shop.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:53 am
chummus wrote:
It's really mazel...either you have a great shopping day or you find absolutely nothing!!

I've never spent an entire day shopping but I've had visits to the store or even the mall that were somewhere between those two endpoints ...

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:57 am
I've been dressing much better since my daughter's grew up into their 20s and can advise me. The understand I don't want to dress like them and can help me dress like a better "me". If you can find somebody like that, it's a big help. Also, you need a good seamstress. They can make things fit and give you advice on what to buy.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:02 am
das wrote:
It's partly a talent and partly knowing where to shop. There are certain boutiques where I just trust particular staff's judgement. They've sold me pieces that are very flattering and I wear again and again.

Tell us where you live and we can suggest places to shop.

Not op
I live in lakewood but grew up in Europe and like European "stylish" clothing.
When I was single and lived in ny, I was able to find nice stuff at sample sales in the city but now it's not an option. Hellllppppp!!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:51 am
Stick with the classics, and you can't go wrong. Go for high quality. Silk blouses, cashmere sweaters, and wool skirts. Don't laugh, I've found all of these at Goodwill for next to nothing!

If you have a Nordstroms near you, definitely get a personal shopper. She will make your life so much easier, and take a lot of stress off of you. They never push things on you, and take your personality in mind when picking out clothes. They're used to dealing with high end professionals as well as frum ladies.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:08 pm
In Lakewood don't those stores like Surelle, Vera & Goldie etc. have European clothes?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:17 pm
It’s a talent...

I think you could benefit from a personal shopper who can go through your own clothes and tell you what peices need what and what won’t eork. Then she’ll help you shop for what you still need.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:42 pm
I don't enjoy shopping and spent most of my life dressed shlumpy. But, now that my girls are teens, I'm trying hard to put more effort into it. I cleared out my closet of any clothes that I don't feel good wearing (kept them in boxes in case I change my mind). That meant there was almost nothing left to wear. Then I went shopping at places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, H&M, Old Navy, and tried on any decent top in my size that was a color I liked and a style that might work for me. I kept an open mind and was surprised that some things looked much better on than I thought they would. Once I learned what cuts/fits work for me, I now look for similar clothes whenever I go shopping. I also learned about the Dressing Your Truth system, which really helped. DYT has helped me know which clothes to ignore, even if they're on clearance and tznius, because if they don't match my energy type I won't look good in them. I resolved not to buy anything unless I absolutely loved it. I've been slowly building up a wardrobe of cute, inexpensive tops that look nice with a basic skirt and a necklace (I bought a few necklaces). I'm feeling very happy about my new look!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:28 pm
Good for you. Going to look that up.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 4:00 pm
I am artistic and love fashion, but still struggle when putting outfits together for my own body. Like, I can see what needs to be adjusted on another woman's outfit, and I could help her decide what pieces and accessories would work for her body type/personality, but I think everyone really needs another pair of talented eyes when shopping for herself.

When I was growing up and in shidduchim, my mother and sister would help me critic my clothes, but after marriage I really struggled with confidence in my outfits until one of my very artistic and style conscious daughters grew old enough to be my personal shopper! It's such a relief b"H, do you have a teen daughter that has a good eye for fashion or a friend to take shopping? EVERYONE really needs that second pair of eyes...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics