Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Husband wants to become a therapist

champagne

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:22 pm
25 yr old stay at home DH (and dad of one) has decided he wants to study and eventually open a private practice, possibly marriage therapy. (I concur with him Smile We live in Brooklyn. I make 60k a year. What is the best way to go about getting his degree? We don’t know many people who have gone to school for anything really, so I would love to hear from anyone who has pursued a similar career path. Obviously, we want to know the cheapest (yet still minimally respectable) way to go about this. If possible, an option that allows him to study online.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:24 pm
Does he have a BA degree yet?

Miri7

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:27 pm
Someone you know has a close friend, relative, or neighbor who has been through the process in your area. I'd start talking to people and find out who they can put you in touch with. Ask about the options for schools, etc. Networking is always good.

Contact the state licensing board to find out license options, scope of practice for each, education requirements, the hours required to get licensed. That is typically available online. I don't live in your area, but in my state the boards require around 2,000 hours of supervised experience prior to licensure. You do get paid for that work, but not as much as you do once licensed.

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:30 pm
New York recently started credentialing Licensed Mental Health Counselors- this may be a good option for your husband, but he does need a BA, as the education requirement includes a Master's Degree. This is geared specifically toward counseling work, as opposed to a social work degree, but it also requires 3000 supervised hours. Brooklyn College has a good program for this.

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:32 pm
You start by getting a BA in psychology. The cheapest options would probably be state colleges (CUNY or SUNY colleges) that charge about 5-6 thousand dollars a year. If your husband wants to get credits for his years in yeshiva, he can get an accelerated degree through TTI, could be Touro also accepts yeshiva credits but I'm not sure (they took my seminary credits).

After he gets his BA he needs to decide what sort of counseling degree he wants. He can get a masters in social work or mental health counseling or marriage, couple and family counseling or get his phd or psyd in psychology. Lots of options. When he's up to looking into a masters program he will have the benefit of the career advisor office from his BA program to talk to to help him sift through the options.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 7:24 pm
Just a comment, he should make sure this is really what he wants to do. I know a few therapists who found the field to be very draining.

Mothers

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 7:33 pm
Tours College has a social work program that’s part time and geared towards frum people. They are advertising some scholarships, but I don’t know if they’d apply to you. They are advertising all over and having an open house next week in Brooklyn. You can start by getting some information there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics