Home

Seeking words and music to Russian folk song.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Choirmistress

Post  Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:59 am
[size=12]I don't know Russian or even the Cyrillic alphabet, but there's a good reason I'm looking for anyone who knows the words and tune to the antiwar song "Na opushke lesa star'ly dub stoit": It seems this was the tune, by Leonid Shochin and Russian lyrics by Piotr Mamaichuk and Shmerke Kaczerginski, that then became "Dort Baym Breg fun Veldl", which in turn was reworked in 1947 by Menashe Baharav and Raphael Klatchkin into the more popular and familiar (Yaffa Yarkoni and Shoshana Damari, anyone?) Israeli protest song "B'Arvot haNegev". But most of us know, way better if not exclusively, the 1954 version (reworked as 3/4 instead of the former three versions' 4/4) with the English lyrics by Malka (Millie) Steinberg Saks, written for a Camp Bais Yaakov colour war when she was 17: Yes, folks, we are talking about "The Little Bird", which I have expanded on (by 100%) and translated into Hebrew. I have been finding more and more historical background to this tune. Enough, as is apparent from the above, that I think I am going to have to add an introductory/explanatory page before my double-column bilingual lyrics sheet. So any and all info on the original Russian version, also known as "Vanya's Song", would be most appreciated and gratefully acknowledged.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts