Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
New Year Resolutions

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 1:54 pm
There is so much inner work that I need to do. But to be honest , I can't do it all at once. So when this time of year rolls around, I like to focus on one thing that I know I need to work on, that way I know I at least "fixed" something about myself.
Something as simple as bentching from a bencher , not getting upset or lashing out at my kids and husband and friends etc , or be friendlier to my neighbors etc.
I am often inspired to start and then half way through I lose the inspiration and motivation. What helps you accomplish and reach your goal? What keeps you from giving up and trying to work on yourself?
All tips appreciated!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 2:14 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
There is so much inner work that I need to do. But to be honest , I can't do it all at once. So when this time of year rolls around, I like to focus on one thing that I know I need to work on, that way I know I at least "fixed" something about myself.
Something as simple as bentching from a bencher , not getting upset or lashing out at my kids and husband and friends etc , or be friendlier to my neighbors etc.
I am often inspired to start and then half way through I lose the inspiration and motivation. What helps you accomplish and reach your goal? What keeps you from giving up and trying to work on yourself?
All tips appreciated!

Like it says that a tzaddik falls seven times and gets each time and tries again. When the yetzer hara sees one wants to improve in spirituality, he tries his hardest to trip us up. Choose something not too difficult. Go into it knowing it might be a struggle and committing to keep trying!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:21 pm
Rav Schwadron would say, pick something small.
Then resolve to do half of that.
The point is, while we are supposed to aim for the stars, pick resolutions that are really stick to itable.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:26 pm
Very small.

Last year (I think) I decided to put on a tichel before I say brochos (& Shema) in the bedroom. BH I've kept it up, though sometimes it's hard (I'm under the covers & realize I don't have a tichel. Then I just put the cover over my head. Which is hard to do with the resolution below : )

Lately I started saying Shema from a siddur, and Yoshev b'Seser.

I know these are very small things, but I'm a small person. No, I shouldn't really think that way. I am on the way to becoming a bigger person, one small step at a time.

Also one of these past years I resolved bli neder to say brochos before I eat (I do drink). However, sometimes I'm really not feeling well and then I give myself a heter to eat.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Very small.

Last year (I think) I decided to put on a tichel before I say brochos (& Shema) in the bedroom. BH I've kept it up, though sometimes it's hard (I'm under the covers & realize I don't have a tichel. Then I just put the cover over my head. Which is hard to do with the resolution below : )

Lately I started saying Shema from a siddur, and Yoshev b'Seser.

I know these are very small things, but I'm a small person. No, I shouldn't really think that way. I am on the way to becoming a bigger person, one small step at a time.

Also one of these past years I resolved bli neder to say brochos before I eat (I do drink). However, sometimes I'm really not feeling well and then I give myself a heter to eat.

Wow ! I actually find these things big. I have such a long list it's hard to know which one thing I should choose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur