Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
My cat is really angry

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:30 pm
So, I got a new rescue dog. The new she very sweet, but she gets a little to excited when she sees the cat. We're training her to leave the cat alone, but it's going to take some time.

My cat is NOT AMUSED.

She has climbed up on top of the wardrobe, and won't come down. Every time I get near her she hisses at me and growls.

How long can she stay up there? Should I put her food and water bowl up there for her?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:39 pm
Poor kitty! She must be so scared . Some dogs and cats get along very well together.
My son got a bunny two days ago and we put him in the chicken coop with our chickens. It's adorable. The chicklets play follow the leader and do what ever the bunny does. They welcomed him with open arms and they are so cute together. Let's hope your kitty realizes ia doggy is not that bad. I think you should leave the food and drink where you always keep it. When kitty gets hungry it will have no choice but to come down and eat

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:44 pm
I agree. Forcing her or moving her food may bother her more.

Can the dog be shut into a room at night, so the cat has some space for part of the time?

Petra

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:25 pm
Your cat will figure it out. When everyone is asleep the cat will come down and slink around the house. Maybe it will take a day or two. Once she has figured out the dog's habits and behavior, I guarantee you she will be the boss of the house. If only your dog knew that this is the best it's going to get for him, as far as the cat is concerned, he would be savoring every moment.

We have had our dog for several years and then introduced a cat. The dog (who has about 85 lbs on the cat) saw the cat as something small, furry and runs! Oh fun! So the cat would run and hide and it took her 2 weeks before she roamed beyond her safe enclave. Back then, I never could have imagined she would ever be comfortable roaming the entire house. But she did. And she is the master of the house.

Sadie

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:48 pm
We also got a dog recently and our three cats were not amused at first. Because we got him when the weather was good we were able to keep him outside a lot in the beginning (the cats are indoor only) and then gradually introduce him more and more into the house. One of the cats is friends with him now and the other two tolerate him but it took a few months to get to that point. I second keeping the dog and cat in separate territory as much as possible and doing the introductions gradually.

ETA, our dog actually chases street cats but doesn’t chase our cats, since he’s used to them. So even a dog that’s excited by cats in general can get along with a specific cat.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:53 pm
Wow. I can’t believe so many people have pets. Now I wish I had a pet.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
So, I got a new rescue dog. The new she very sweet, but she gets a little to excited when she sees the cat. We're training her to leave the cat alone, but it's going to take some time.

My cat is NOT AMUSED.

She has climbed up on top of the wardrobe, and won't come down. Every time I get near her she hisses at me and growls.

How long can she stay up there? Should I put her food and water bowl up there for her?

Check out a youtube channel Jackson Galaxy, He has very entertaining and informative videos about cats with behavior problems

chani8

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 6:47 am
The cat needs a place where the dog cannot go. My cats live in my bedroom and the dog is not allowed in there. My dog is very cat friendly and has several outdoor cat friends. But my cats are anti-doggists and they get very upset around dogs. So for their mental health and the dog's safety, they have their own dog free space.

myself

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 7:01 am
chani8 wrote:
The cat needs a place where the dog cannot go. My cats live in my bedroom and the dog is not allowed in there. My dog is very cat friendly and has several outdoor cat friends. But my cats are anti-doggists and they get very upset around dogs. So for their mental health and the dog's safety, they have their own dog free space.

Good to 'see' you again Smile Welcome back!

chani8

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 7:48 am
myself wrote:
Good to 'see' you again Smile Welcome back!

Very Happy Thanks! I pop in every now and then. How can I resist commenting on a cat thread! Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:12 am
So, apparently the answer is "Cats can go 3 days without food, and then the get over it."

Right now, she's in my lap, begging for attention, and nipping on my hands. She's seen that we scold the dog whenever it starts to come at her, so she's relaxing.

The dog is sleeping in DD's room at the moment.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Cheiny

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:15 am
My Yorkie and cat do not get along, dog us very jealous of cat and chases her whenever he gets the opportunity. So annoying, we have to out them in different bedrooms for the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets