Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Looking to stay in Newark nj

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:26 pm
I'm looking into a class being given in newark nj, that is being given in a hotel over shabbos a shabbos in September.
Does anyone know if there is a Jewish community there, so I can get in contact with them to see if I can be hosted for shabbos?
I'd rather not stay in the hotel alone for shabbos, but this course would really help further my career at this point.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:51 am
Look into Adath Israel of Elizabeth.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 6:41 am
Sorry, there is no Jewish community anywhere near the hotels, either downtown or near the airport.

The only synagogue in the city is Conservative, and I think the congregants drive in from elsewhere, but you could contact them to find out for sure: http://www.ahavassholom.org/. The neighborhood isn't Jewish, and it's not near a hotel.

There is also a minyan in Ivy Hill - again, not near where you need to be. Walking to either location, besides being far, is not safe.

Your only reasonable option is to stay at the hotel. If it is downtown, it is as safe as any other city to walk outside and look at the shop windows, but I wouldn't wander.

ETA please do follow the suggestion above about Elizabeth. That shul is not so far from the airport.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 7:41 am
It's not a safe area. Just stay put in the hotel amd don't venture out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics