Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What are you working on this Elul/ the coming year?

chaniej

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 10:14 am
I'm working on a few things:
- not talking about my husband struggles in public
- doing more chessed
- More patience and more presence for my family members
- Getting some davening in before I leave the house in the morning (even brachos)

What are you working on?

chani8

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:21 pm
I would like to communicate more with Hashem and not be so afraid of Him. I'd also like to increase my acts of chessed which includes being more present and giving more attention to others.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 7:38 pm
Bain Adam Lchavaro
Making conscious efforts to avoid Sinas Chinam and Loshon Hora
Looking for the good in people
Giving people the benefit of the doubt

Bain Adam LMakom
Seeing Hashem in as many every day activities and occurrences

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 7:46 pm
Im trying to daven & say more tehillim.
I'm trying to watch only clean shows.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 7:51 pm
chani8 wrote:
I would like to communicate more with Hashem and not be so afraid of Him. I'd also like to increase my acts of chessed which includes being more present and giving more attention to others.

How can you not be afraid of hashem? The torah is full of curses detailing terrible things that happen to those who don't follow the Torah. Not to mention the tragedies that happen seemingly randomly that are hashems will. Let's be honest. Hashem is our king and ruler and while we have to believe he is a just king even though we don't understand him. I don't see why we wouldn't fear him.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 8:16 pm
Screaming at my kids less.
Being warmer and super attentive to dh even after a long day when all I want to do is collapse.
Calling my parents more often.
Davening with more kavanah for one tefillah at a time

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
How can you not be afraid of hashem? The torah is full of curses detailing terrible things that happen to those who don't follow the Torah. Not to mention the tragedies that happen seemingly randomly that are hashems will. Let's be honest. Hashem is our king and ruler and while we have to believe he is a just king even though we don't understand him. I don't see why we wouldn't fear him.

There is a difference between fear, as in fight or flight-fear, and awe as in yirah. No matter what the consequences, they are coming with love, from our loving father.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 9:58 pm
Goal. Simply staying alive.

cozyblanket

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Screaming at my kids less.
Being warmer and super attentive to dh even after a long day when all I want to do is collapse.
Calling my parents more often.
Davening with more kavanah for one tefillah at a time

Pretty much this.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 10:22 pm
Working on transforming judgments. For example, an employee reported me to the manager. I got a yelling from the manager. I sucked it up, but inside I was angry at the employee. I allowed myself to feel all the anger, then I asked myself why a human being would have the urge to report something so insignificant and benign. I then remembered a time I had done something similar (when I was a little kid), and then I understood the employee, and I realized she was probably raised in a harsh environment and lack of love. I began to wish her lots of love and I lost any sense of resentment or judgment toward her.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 1:45 am
amother wrote:

Think of it like this. How does one feel toward a trustworthy, benevolent king, and in contrast, how does one feel toward a strict, judging king? Of course we feel awe and respect for both kings. But when we feel the basic trust that we're not going to be sent to the dungeons for speaking imperfectly, we're more inclined to communicate.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 4:45 am
In Elul:
- Saying my kid's kapitelach of Tehillim
- Davening Mincha

This coming year:
- Spending 5 minutes of quality time a day with each kid
- Writing down things like homework, baths, teeth etc. so I am less haphazard and more attentive to these things
- Learning for at least a few minutes a day with my husband
- Learning at least weekly with a friend
- Continuing to work on finding a schedule that works for me

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 5:53 am
chani8 wrote:
Think of it like this. How does one feel toward a trustworthy, benevolent king, and in contrast, how does one feel toward a strict, judging king? Of course we feel awe and respect for both kings. But when we feel the basic trust that we're not going to be sent to the dungeons for speaking imperfectly, we're more inclined to communicate.
[u]

Do you trust hashem? Do you believe that if you do the mitzvot and follow the torah that only good things will happen? Do you see that in real life?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:50 am
amother wrote:
[u]

Do you trust hashem? Do you believe that if you do the mitzvot and follow the torah that only good things will happen? Do you see that in real life?

Just wondering how old you are? ( really not being sarcastic, I really want to know for myself) because I used to be like that too. Believe that all I have to do is be the best person I could be, do mitzvot and I’ll be showered with good. Then life situations hit and now I have to work on believing that all Hashem does is for my best even if I don’t see it and looking at Hashem as a benevolent father not a harsh judging one.
I miss the innocence I sense in your post..... wishing you a sweet year.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 7:32 am
amother wrote:
Just wondering how old you are? ( really not being sarcastic, I really want to know for myself) because I used to be like that too. Believe that all I have to do is be the best person I could be, do mitzvot and I’ll be showered with good. Then life situations hit and now I have to work on believing that all Hashem does is for my best even if I don’t see it and looking at Hashem as a benevolent father not a harsh judging one.
I miss the innocence I sense in your post..... wishing you a sweet year.

Thank you. I think we are in the same boat. I was actually responding to a poster who said that she "trusts hashem" more that if she stays inline and does what she's supposed to do, hashem will protect her. I agree with you. It seems naive to believe this. I'm always bothered at this time of year because I hear all about adding zechusim and doing things to tip the scales in our favor. Then I look around and I kinda have to acknowledge that the scale hashem uses is not something we understand. We have no understanding why some people suffer and others don't. I don't think it's fair to say that had the people suffering done more mitzvos then they wouldn't be suffering. Yet that's exactly what it says. Teshuva, prayer, and charity will rip up a bad decree. That's a pretty straight forward statement. Do we see it? Do we understand it? What am I davening for?

Wishing you a sweet year as well!

byisrael

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 10:04 am
Making my relationship with hashem more real - be more connected on a daily basis

More acceptance of the nisyonos hashem has given - less trying to fix things

Having more understanding and patience for people in my life who are difficult

heidi

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 10:11 am
To stop getting aggravated by other drivers. This is especially challenging bcz I live in Israel. But my reactions to the real injustices perpetrated by other drivers are a terrible example to my children.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 2:12 pm
byisrael wrote:
Making my relationship with hashem more real - be more connected on a daily basis

More acceptance of the nisyonos hashem has given - less trying to fix things

Having more understanding and patience for people in my life who are difficult

What do you mean "less trying to fix things"? I'm always trying to make things better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur