Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Pediatric Endocrinology Advice

mother4

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 11:48 am
My son (12) has Hypothyroidism and is currently seeing a pediatric endocrinologist and taking Synthroid.

My question is every couple months when the doctor sees him, he checks his private parts. Upon asking him why he needs to examine him there, the doctor answered that he needs to check if he is maturing yet, and if yes, the medication dosage has to be adjusted.

Is this normal? My son understandably is very uncomfortable with this. Are they other ways to check him or can I be against him?

Appreciate any advice that have experience in this.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:15 pm
Yes it normal and what they do puberty changes things and they need to keep an eye on it ( we see a pediatric endocrinologist for a different reasons)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:21 pm
Yes. It’s normal.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:48 pm
Yes it normal and what they do puberty changes things and they need to keep an eye on it ( we see a pediatric endocrinologist for a different reasons)

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:58 pm
I find that most things in life are negotiable. Ask if anything so terrible will happen if you skip it for that visit especially if you are there every few months.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:02 pm
They need to know the progression of puberty. You can ask if it's possible for them to ask pointed questions instead of looking, but know that accuracy is important with this.

You can always ask that the doctor gives advance notice and preempt by saying I need to check for hair now, I'm going to take a quick look in your underwear, and that the doc waits for the patient to consent before proceeding. I've found some docs want to just get it over with and just yank down and it's over, but it makes the patient feel violated and makes everybody uncomfortable.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:08 pm
We had fights with my son every time bec of this. Very standard

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:32 pm
It's tricky, I also underwent frequent examinations by an endocrinologist and gi as a child and teen, including invasive procedures, and YES it did affect me negatively in various ways. I am not sure what the answer is. However, make sure the doctor is compassionate and validating to your son, try to brainstorm with the doctor if there is anything he can do to minimize the sense of violation, and finally, anticipate that later on before your son gets married you will need to talk with him to separate that experience from the concept of marriage.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:54 pm
My pediatrician and the endocrinologist both gave my kids a safety speach every time they needed to check my DC's private.

They explained why and said it's only allowed by a Dr if a parent is in the room also.

One ds was ok with it. The other day had questions in the car. He was satisfied with my answers.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 3:16 pm
the doctor should preface it and not just yank down the pants. There is a way to do it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 8:42 pm
For a pediatric endocrinologist, noting the patient's Tanner stage is almost as routine as measuring weight, height, and blood pressure. Checking privates and estimating t-sticle size, usually by comparison to a string of beads, is part of that. Maybe you can tell the endo that your son is uncomfortable, and ask him to explain to your son what he's doing and why it's important.

My son sees an endo for growth so of course his endo checks him each time to determine Tanner stage. He explained to my son what he was doing the first time and my son is fine with it but wants me on the other side of the curtain for the 10 seconds it takes. Would your son possibly be more comfortable if you stepped away from the room for that part of the visit?

mother4

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 11:44 pm
Thank you for all your input. I am reassured hearing that this is very normal.
I will def speak to the dr. as my son keeps telling me this is the only thing that bothers him from the visits. I am not there to look at him, yet to be there for him. ( I am on the other side near his head, and dont feel its OK to look as to make my son further uncomfortable.)
I think the touching him there, makes him cringe the most...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:03 am
I'm the amother who posted above about Tanner stage check being routine. I can understand why your son doesn't like being touched there. My son wouldn't like it either. He changes into a gown before the endo comes into the room (I'm behind the curtain for that part too) so when the endo needs to check him my opens the gown for a moment while standing. After that the endo resumes the appointment with the gown closed. If your son is specifically bothered by being touched during the exam, then ask the endo if your son can change into a gown or something so the endo doesn't need to touch him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics