Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
New School Year after Succos

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 7:44 am
Funny question, I know. But DS has been badgering me for an answer.

Why do Chassidish chadorim start the new school year after Succos?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
Funny question, I know. But DS has been badgering me for an answer.

Why do Chassidish chadorim start the new school year after Succos?

What area? Never heard of it. Most chassidish cheders in our area started last week or this week.

happy12

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 8:46 am
They started already in their old grade with their rebbi from last year. After succos they move up and get a new rebbi.(at least thats what satmar of boro park does.)

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:43 am
I dont think most chadarim do that. Only satmar and maybe one or 2 others. But I do get the concept. The first month or so of the year, until after sukkos, is really not on schbewdule, with more off days than school days, between all the yomim tovim. So the new rebbi has a hard time getting his classroom established well. On the other hand, the old rebbi from last year already has routines well established. So to give the new rebbi a better start, let him start fresh after sukkos when there is a long stretch of routine.

At least this is what I think the reasoning may be. My kids chassidish cheder doesnt do this. They all started this week with new rebbis

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:34 am
That was my assumption. Where I live all chassidish chadorim and yeshivas start after Succos.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 10:55 am
I think it's to start with a new routine without so many days off. One person told me that it's to a big change over to change girls and all the bus transportation routes and change the boys at the same time so that's why it's split up.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 11:05 am
In my community most chassidish boys went up a grade already. The cheders that didn't claim that it's easier on the Rabbi's to start after yom tov.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 11:05 am
My yeshiva does that (Chassidish)
They do it to get into a normal routine after the Chagim.
The whole month of Elul is broken up so I guess it works better for the Rebbes?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 11:29 am
In my community, many people travel to a rebbe for part of Elul/ Tishrei or simchas torah.
some of the staff members too. Therefore, for the stability of the school year, it is best for the children to start after Sukkos.

Kumphort

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 4:08 pm
For those yeshivas that continue with previous rebbe when was the last day of school back in June or closer to Av?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:01 pm
My boys went to Bobov Cheder in Monsey and they started after Labor Day like everybody else. I have boys in Bais Dovid who started Rosh Chodesh Elul.
I think that Satmar, Viznits and Pupa and maybe some others ,are the schools that start after Succos.
In many of the Chasidish chadarim the secular studies curriculum doesn't start until after Succos either .

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:10 pm
Chassidish boys schools don't have summer vacation. They have maybe a long weekend I. August & then they go up a grade. The schools that go up a grade after succos, don't have off at all.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 7:43 pm
I've wondered about this too. My boys are in a chassidishe cheder that has a special summer program during July and August. They then return to their previous Rebbe and kittah for the Elul zman, while going up a secular grade at the same time! They then go up a kittah after Sukkos. Confusing and complicated!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics