Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
ISO jewish chapter books for second grader

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 8:46 am
Looking to get my second grader some jewish books for YT. She loves to read and is pretty advanced for her age/grade but I don't know what's out for this age, most of the jewish books I've come across are too advanced. She really enjoyed the smile with avigayil series last year, so something similar to that but maybe on a bit of a higher level?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 8:54 am
My DD went pretty quickly from "Smile with Avigayil" (agree, adorable series) to things that I thought were more advanced, because a lot of the Jewish books that seem more advanced are really written at a pretty basic literacy level. There are a few Menucha Fuchs books that are nice for this age, I can't remember the titles but we had a couple of "three stories in one book" books that she liked and were easy to read.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:06 am
seeker wrote:
My DD went pretty quickly from "Smile with Avigayil" (agree, adorable series) to things that I thought were more advanced, because a lot of the Jewish books that seem more advanced are really written at a pretty basic literacy level. There are a few Menucha Fuchs books that are nice for this age, I can't remember the titles but we had a couple of "three stories in one book" books that she liked and were easy to read.
Was it any of these? http://www.menuchapublishers.c......html

miri and shiri maybe?

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:15 am
PJ Pepperjay

Edited to add link: http://www.artscroll.com/Books......html

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:18 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
PJ Pepperjay

Edited to add link: http://www.artscroll.com/Books......html

Thank you!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:25 am
I remember being into the BY Times series at about that age. And there was also a BY Times spinoff called BY Times Kid Sisters.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I remember being into the BY Times series at about that age. And there was also a BY Times spinoff called BY Times Kid Sisters.

She's probably better off with Kid Sisters. Save BY Times and Baker's Dozen for later in the year.

I was going to say PJ Pepperjay, Menucha Fuchs 3 in 1 books like The Banana Peel Slip Up, Bedtime Stories of Middos and Good Deeds (6 volumes, Hopkowitz). Oh, and The Heart of the Esrog, co-written by Menucha Fuchs is a lovely book.
There are also the Shmuel Blitz books, story collections and The Search for the Stones; kids' versions of the Maggid books, Pruzansky and Spero books; story collections by Chaviva Krohn Pfeffer and Genendel Krohn.
Savta Simcha, Jeremy and Hedy Levi, and some other books by Yaffa Ganz.

Hope this is a start!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 5:57 pm
The Menucha Fuchs books are a set of 5 in the "I Love to Read Club"

In addition to previous mentions,
Look for "Fun-to-read" books by Hachai publishing like One of a Kind Yanky

Also, the Penina Pinkowitz series may be good...I can't remember the reading level on it, but it's probably the same as PJ Pepperjay.

Yael Mermelstein's The Stupendous Adventures of Shragi and Shia is also perfect for this reading level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics