Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What's your favorite part of your kids' school supply list?
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:03 pm
Here's mine: "Please send in an additional $35 to cover additional supplies."

This after a huge list including multiples of every school supply known to man.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:14 pm
Probably for projects, siyumim etc.
As a morah, I can tell you those often end up coming out of my own pocket!

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:30 pm
Huh. I was going to answer honestly. I love when they ask for sheet protectors. It means something fun and creative is coming.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:32 pm
Hand sanitizer

simba

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:33 pm
Nothing. It brings me no joy. Just being honest Smile

itsmeima

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Hand sanitizer

I love that!

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
Probably for projects, siyumim etc.
As a morah, I can tell you those often end up coming out of my own pocket!

This. As a 5th grade science teacher, I got no budget/reimbursement for supplies for in-class experiments.

I did not personally ask parents for additional money for this, but I can understand why it might be on a supply list, especially if you want every student to be able to have their own hands-on project, and not make them just watch the teacher do a single example.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 10:48 pm
animeme wrote:
Huh. I was going to answer honestly. I love when they ask for sheet protectors. It means something fun and creative is coming.

I love when the list has supplies on it that I already stock like marble composition notebooks, one subject spirals, Elmer's glue, #2 pencils, metal sharpeners, pink pearl erasers, crayola crayons, pair of scissors...
The extra specific stuff? Talk to the hand

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 12:07 am
I find it hilarious how every 1st grade supply list my kids ever got requires a protractor, which I know it will not be used for another 2 years.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 12:42 am
This year we got qtips and rubber bands on the list! You gotta be kidding.
If we are being sarcastic, baby wipes. For second grade.
What bothers me most is that the school sends one list in July and then the teacher sends her own list first day of school. And they are very different

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 1:07 am

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 2:10 am
I don’t get it. My daughters' school here in Israel gives a list on the last week of school. Eight columns, one for each grade.
The teachers should submit their lists to the school now so that next year’s class will have the list with ample time to prepare. The unused items could be struck from the list.

It boggles me how unorganized this sounds and how generous the teachers can be with the parents time and money.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
This year we got qtips and rubber bands on the list! You gotta be kidding.
If we are being sarcastic, baby wipes. For second grade.
What bothers me most is that the school sends one list in July and then the teacher sends her own list first day of school. And they are very different

Baby wipes are for cleaning desks. It's that or Clorox wipes when it comes to paint and glue- and baby wipes are cheaper!

Many teachers keep Vaseline on hand and let students take with a q-tip for chapped lips.

I don't know why rubber bands, but I am sure they have something in mind!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:21 pm
8 seforim for my 9th grade girl

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 12:05 am
I love threads like this
When I was first becoming frum I was so resentful to my parents for going to PS
But the PS gave me a bag with all the supplies I needed for the year the first week

And that was a poor NYC school
My husb went to a posh PS in LI
They gave him a book bag, a backpack, a compass protractor a slide rule
Charcoal pencils special erasers sketch pads
Coloring books
Modeling clay mini chemistry sets and all sorts of cool stuff
He still has some of it 50 years later

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 3:58 am
I was not given by school, not public and not private.

I won't buy whzt is ridiculous or hard to find.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 4:03 am
I have to buy my kids textbooks. (only the secular ones - kodesh ones are bought by the school and we send a cheque) Each year, I need to go to about 3 different shops to get all the books my kids need. Not one of them has all of them. Seemingly, I need to shop in July when they have more in stock. Rolling Eyes

rzab

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 4:06 am
My favorite part of the school supply list is.... Being done with it and being able to throw it out!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 7:28 am
Raisin wrote:
I have to buy my kids textbooks. (only the secular ones - kodesh ones are bought by the school and we send a cheque) Each year, I need to go to about 3 different shops to get all the books my kids need. Not one of them has all of them. Seemingly, I need to shop in July when they have more in stock. Rolling Eyes

Same here. And just when I think I'm done, they ask for more during the year, but this year they didn't. They asked for all of them in the beginning. What bugs me is when I keep a book from year to year for another child, they decide not to use that one. Not necessarily because there's an updated one. But when I do throw one out, they want it Exploding anger .

rzab

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:29 am
yo'ma wrote:
Same here. And just when I think I'm done, they ask for more during the year, but this year they didn't. They asked for all of them in the beginning. What bugs me is when I keep a book from year to year for another child, they decide not to use that one. Not necessarily because there's an updated one. But when I do throw one out, they want it Exploding anger .

Can I tell you as a teacher, that usually schools try to avoid this. I can't tell you how many meetings I have sat through where we didn't know what to do because we found a textbook that would be so much better, but we know that there are many kids in the grade who have the old one from older siblings. Every school I have worked on tries to avoid changing books for a good few years, even if something better was found...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics