Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Why are we paying a full month of September?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 7:18 am
I got this dumb question about 3 or 4 times.
The answer is is that usually holidays are half of September and half of October, this year it's three quarters in September and three days into October. People don't realize that that's what's it is. Besides the teachers also get paid for holidays that's why they work in a school.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 7:24 am
amother wrote:
I got this dumb question about 3 or 4 times.
The answer is is that usually holidays are half of September and half of October, this year it's three quarters in September and three days into October. People don't realize that that's what's it is. Besides the teachers also get paid for holidays that's why they work in a school.

First of all I really don't think it's a dumb question.
Secondly, I don't think what you wrote has anything to do with the answer. Why would it matter when exactly yomtov falls out? People want to understand why they are paying for so many missed days regardless of whether yomtov is in September or October.

I understood the correct answer to be that we pay a total price for the YEAR. Let's say $10,000. You can either pay the entire amount up front or divide it in 10 monthly increments. Yomim tovim are included in the price. It really makes no difference when they come out. It's 10k for the year.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
First of all I really don't think it's a dumb question.
Secondly, I don't think what you wrote has anything to do with the answer. Why would it matter when exactly yomtov falls out? People want to understand why they are paying for so many missed days regardless of whether yomtov is in September or October.

I understood the correct answer to be that we pay a total price for the YEAR. Let's say $10,000. You can either pay the entire amount up front or divide it in 10 monthly increments. Yomim tovim are included in the price. It really makes no difference when they come out. It's 10k for the year.

The schools do it for budgeting purposes. I think a better budget for the families would be that you can make larger payments and skip the yom tovim.

happyone

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 8:36 am
I'm sorry but teachers commit to your children from September and on. They deserve a full month pay. It's not like you pay per day. If your child was out sick for two weeks with the flu, do you deduct half a month tuition ?

Get a job as a teacher if you want paid holidays.

cm

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 9:26 am
IME tuition is per year. It is divided into monthly payments for families' convenience. Timing of the holidays is irrelevant.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 10:48 am
As others have posted, tuition is paid for the year and divided into monthly payment for convenience. Many schools don't even state what the monthly tuition is but just the annual tuition and provide payment options.

School years are actually measured by number of days they are open and schools have to factor in all holidays when they set schedules.

STMommy

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 11:50 am
I have no problem with paying full for September; the way the tuition is divided monthly, everyone knows it's the annual tuition divided by 10 (or 12).
What really angers me is the extra, unnecessary days that my kids have off in September and throughout the year. The Friday before Succos when erev yom tov is a Sunday? Disgusting.
What also angers me is that with all the many nonsensical days off my children have, they are significantly below the 180 days that is standard here in public schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics