Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Machon HS
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 9:01 am
When my daughter was in 8th grade I looked into sending there for HS. My daughter is a good girl , yet due to her ADD she struggles socially and academically. The reason why I chose not to send there is bec I got the impression that the school catered more to girls who were rebellious with religion . My daughter isn’t strong (I don’t mean in religion , I mean in terms of her character ) and I didn’t want her influenced to behave in a way that she normally wouldn’t , being that she’d be around rebellious teens .

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 11:37 am
Cerulean Amother - similar story here and sounds like it won't be the right fit for my daughter, either.

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 11:43 am
While Bronze Amother could have written it differently, her point shouldn't be attacked, imo. It's amazing that finally there's a school for FFB girls struggling with some aspects and finally they are catered to. It's most definitely not the right place for girls without those struggles.

chestnut

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
Im a teacher there for the last six years. Ask me anything specific.
I can say that it has a superbly caring administration, and is highly professional. The student body has changed over the years to a mixture of girls who dont fit the regular Bais Yaakov box, girls who are academically weak, or girls who have not made it into another High School of their choice.
Teachers and principals go above and beyond their duties for the students.

Amother Babypink, I have questions, do you mind messaging me?

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 11:45 pm
chestnut wrote:
While Bronze Amother could have written it differently, her point shouldn't be attacked, imo. It's amazing that finally there's a school for FFB girls struggling with some aspects and finally they are catered to. It's most definitely not the right place for girls without those struggles.

Her point? I lost it at "bummy [former chassidim]" and "second class citizens" Puke

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:47 am
Rereading I will agree that it was not written nicely.... I apologize.

- Machon in my opinion has always been a great place, even before hanhala changeovers they had different crowds at dif points but they were always (again IMO) caring and accepting- we were a family,

- today they seem to be gearing to a different crowd than they had before the hanhalah change, IMO that crowd doesnt seem fool proof.

all jewish girls can gain from acceptance and care, and from being allowed to ask questions etc though I feel the current crowd wouldnt be safe for some girls...

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:52 am
amother wrote:
Bronze amother, If I was your teacher, I would have patiently put you into place. I hope I wasn't, as that would have been an opportunity surpassed, and that would have upset me, and my responsibilities as a devoted teacher.
Every girls deserves to have a place where she can call her home away from home, and that is what Machon has become. Im sorry that you find an institution that is caring, accepting, and non-judgemental inferior. I can just hope and pray that your daughter doesn't turn out to be a "second class citizen" with "issues", and by the likes of your attitude, you should be praying as well. Pray hard. Or she may end up in GASP. Machon, who will accept her, care for her, guide her, and encourage her to reach her full potential.

Wow. I wonder if you were my teacher.
Not looking to change the topic, I wish hatzlacha to all the mothers choose HS for their daughter and want them to get their answers- but amazing what a few comments written at the wrong moment can do to a persons image and peoples perception of them... theres a reason I guess that I can not be found on social media...

And I definitely gave over the wrong image....

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:54 am
amother wrote:
I went there 7 years ago. My sister goes there now. I was more typical mainstream BY type, she is not. The school is catering more to her type now, which is great because there was no school for her. She's a girl who had a lot of questions not being answered, struggling with tznuis etc... the school is catering more to those types of girls, and doing a great job.

Well said!!

(We may have been in the same class with babypink as our teacher!!)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:26 pm
Anyone know girls who are applying to Machon now? Trying to see what kind of crowd will be next year in 9th grade.

Also, posters who said their "out of box" sisters are in Machon now - what grades - 9-10th or 11-12th (newcomers or from a few years ago)?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:10 pm
My daughter graduated a few years ago, so my info may be outdated; few girls apply to that school as a first choice, they end up there if they’re rejected by other schools, or when a school wants to get rid of certain girls.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter graduated a few years ago, so my info may be outdated; few girls apply to that school as a first choice, they end up there if they’re rejected by other schools, or when a school wants to get rid of certain girls.

There's a new principal who came a year ago. Supposedly she's trying to change the crowd. That's why I'm curious to hear from those in 9th grade and applying now

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:23 pm
They already tried that a few years ago and nothing changed.
Good luck!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 10:35 am
My question is, how did Machon go from a school that was super fussy about which girls and families they accepted, to a Kiruv school?

Im sure if they could have been busting with mainstream applicants like they were 15 years ago, they wouldnt be catering to the crowd theyve been catering to in the last few years.

Im totally pro schools who cater to kids with problems, BUT REALISTICALLY, its NEVER out of the goodness of their hearts, that a school goes from super fussy about who they accept, to accepting girls with problems, either themselves, or parents. Its to stay afloat financially, when you cant get the same clinetele you did, you accept problems.

What happened?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 10:44 am
I don't know why they changed, but it's most definitely not a kiruv school now for 2-3 y. It's different than Nefesh, Shalsheles, or Beer Hagolah

dankbar

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 12:52 pm
Unfortunately this what happens a lot, the schools who are more accommodating to accept everyone, end up having a bad name, even though people are always complaining that's it's murder to be accepted in any school

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:48 pm
dankbar wrote:
Unfortunately this what happens a lot, the schools who are more accommodating to accept everyone, end up having a bad name, even though people are always complaining that's it's murder to be accepted in any school

Knowing how tough Machon admin was FOR ABOUT 20 years, with not taking in ANYONE who might ruin their name, what made them start taking in girls that werent the perfect "role model types" that they insisted on, for the first 20 or so years?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Knowing how tough Machon admin was FOR ABOUT 20 years, with not taking in ANYONE who might ruin their name, what made them start taking in girls that werent the perfect "role model types" that they insisted on, for the first 20 or so years?

Change of the principals

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:23 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

It’s a completely new administration since then then. I don’t think there’s a single senior staff member from then that’s still there besides for Ali. Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:00 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
It’s a completely new administration since then then. I don’t think there’s a single senior staff member from then that’s still there besides for Ali. Smile

Who’s Ali?
There’s the Secular studies principal whose name eludes me right now.

ces

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:04 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Who’s Ali?
There’s the Secular studies principal whose name eludes me right now.

You obviously didn't go there if you don't know him.

I wish I could get the recipe for the spaghetti sauce they had in the canteen on Fridays
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics