Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey cheder 2018
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 10:58 am
Amother firebrick, that yeshiva is pretty modern & its not even in Monsey. This lady sending there is becoming more modern by the day.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Amother firebrick, that yeshiva is pretty modern. This lady sending there is becoming more modern by the day.

Ok, but perhaps this is something that would be a good fit for OP. Just mentioning it.
OP is looking for something that is hard to find, so something may have to give.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:09 am
thunderstorm wrote:
You are then very lucky. I always got along with my neighbors . I'm referring to schools.
Do you belong to a specific Chasiddus? If yes, then its easier to have a place since they accept their own chasidim. But I've suffered enough to know that because we are descendants of BTs and Geirim we are considered second class citizens and not "the right type" This goes for both the Chasidish and Litvish schools in Monsey. We were told straight to our face that it's the reason we aren't accepted.
And I'm not the only one. I know numerous families with the same issues . So yes, Based on my experience, Monsey does discriminate. My inlaws came here 25 years ago and loved it. But they moved out of Monsey because of the drastic change. On my mother in laws block alone there were four families of Geirim. My babysitter is a giyores. But they all shared one thing in common. Their kids are either not accepted into school or their eineklech aren't. Most of these people in the last three years moved out as well because of being mistreated. I'm glad it's working for you. I've never felt so judged until I moved here.

I respectfully disagree. I understand where your hurt is coming from.
However, I don't come from a family with geirim or bt's at all.
I come from a very run of the mill kind of family.
And, I had a hard time getting into schools. They had a different excuse for me.
It's the situation that's challenging.
I'm not going to say that everyone is welcoming at all. Except they are not welcoming even to 'regular' families.
The heartbreak is all over.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
Maya, as usual, your perception is completely off kilter. Where did I say I was laughing? He actually recieved a very stern talking to, and admitted he'd been wrong. And by "sticky hand" I meant those toys, not HIS hand. He was flinging it around and it went in the bus rebbie's face. He didn't hit his bus rebbie.

Once again, I am reminded why this site is really not a place that I should be.
Here, the perverted is made normal, and the normal perverted.

Yes, my son is normal. Normal kids are delicious and yummy -- but can make trouble as well. I am perfectly familiar with diagnoses such as ADD and ADHD, and he has neither. He usually channels his energy into positive, productive tasks and is not wild and all over the place on daily basis. Have you never in your life lost yourself in the moment? It happens to even the best of us -- unless, of course, we walk around like sedated zombies, medicating ourselves when we don't need it. There are kids that need it. This is not one. As his rebbie says: He has energy, but he's 98% voile. No child is perfect, and a ruch shtus can come upon anyone.

It is medicating a child who does not need it that kills self esteem.
It is yelling and screaming and hitting in anger -- none of which has ever been done to him in cheder. If you know anything about halacha, you know that it is permitted to potch, but never in anger. It is forbidden to raise a hand to a child in the moment that one sees red.
Of course, a child can never be made a punching bag, but there are infrequent times that it is the right educational tool. Children need to be shown an overflowing of love -- but also know that there is a time and place for a light potch if needed.

Of course, if your secularly-influenced modern thinking tells you that a potch is never, ever allowed to be used, then you'll never agree with me. That's okay. It doesn't make you right.
I don't need your agreement.

I don't need your rebuke, your assessment or anything else you have to "offer."

You live your life the way you feel is best, and I'll live mine.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying.
I realized that for regular Chassidishe people, this site is not aligned with our hashkafos at all. It applies in all areas basically .
So, if you post something that to a secular audience seems radical, insane, abusive, you probably shouldn't post it here, or just expect the backlash that'll come with an innocent comment.
The problem is, that you (and a lot of others) think, that ima's are all coming from your mindset and background. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all.
And I actually admire the fact that you are not getting intimidated by other opinions.
Hatzlocha with your son and ah git gebentche yur!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:23 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I understand where your hurt is coming from.
However, I don't come from a family with geirim or bt's at all.
I come from a very run of the mill kind of family.
And, I had a hard time getting into schools. They had a different excuse for me.
It's the situation that's challenging.
I'm not going to say that everyone is welcoming at all. Except they are not welcoming even to 'regular' families.
The heartbreak is all over.

We had problems dating way back, around 15 years already , before it has become an issue for everyone. Before the lack of space in schools. If you don't believe me , you don't have to. But we've been given some "extra special treatment" over the years. Weve learned to accept our lot. But it did lots of damage to my inner being. My parents never had to deal with this non acceptance they way we do or did. By now I just send to a school that says "we will take you" even though the hashkafos don't line up with mine. We don't have a choice and that's why I have kids in a Chasidish yeshiva , yeshivish yeshiva and a modern yeshiva. People like us don't have choices. So my sons all wear different levushim based on where they go to school. I'm ok with that. As long as they all grow up to be frum baalei Derech Eretz. But know that there is an extra negative judgment cast for people of our background. You just don't know details or know what it feels like because you haven't experienced it.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:32 am
thunderstorm wrote:
We had problems dating way back, around 15 years already , before it has become an issue for everyone. Before the lack of space in schools. If you don't believe me , you don't have to. But we've been given some "extra special treatment" over the years. Weve learned to accept our lot. But it did lots of damage to my inner being. My parents never had to deal with this non acceptance they way we do or did. By now I just send to a school that says "we will take you" even though the hashkafos don't line up with mine. We don't have a choice and that's why I have kids in a Chasidish yeshiva , yeshivish yeshiva and a modern yeshiva. People like us don't have choices. So my sons all wear different levushim based on where they go to school. I'm ok with that. As long as they all grow up to be frum baalei Derech Eretz. But know that there is an extra negative judgment cast for people of our background. You just don't know details or know what it feels like because you haven't experienced it.

Ok, I will grant that this was the case years ago. I don't think it's the case today at all.
Everyone is lumped together. This should be a consolation of sorts for you. Smile said in good humor
Either way, it's not a just system. The world will look very different when 'Moshiach' comes.
I totally agree with you about the Derech Eretz part. The lvush really doesn't matter, except today's days, that's ALL that matters. Sad

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
Ok, but perhaps this is something that would be a good fit for OP. Just mentioning it.
OP is looking for something that is hard to find, so something may have to give.

They had free busing a couple of years ago from Monsey.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:55 am
Amother firebrick, OP said she wants a chassidish Cheder. Stein yeshiva is hardly frum. It's a very modern yeshiva.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 12:01 pm
As far as I know, Stein Yeshiva is meant for people needing a smaller school for different reasons. Everyone gets accepted. It's definitely not remotely chassidish.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 12:05 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
As far as I know, Stein Yeshiva is meant for people needing a smaller school for different reasons. Everyone gets accepted. It's definitely not remotely chassidish.

Ok, guys. just threw it out in case it could be interesting.
I have no idea what kind of school it is other then what @queentzirel said on insta- that it's a school with a loving atmosphere and caters to each child on an individual level.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 12:12 pm
Where is that school? I never heard of it.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 12:16 pm
Yonkers

crust

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 12:23 pm
amother wrote:
Maya, that depends on what your definition of physical abuse is. While we all agree that hitting a child in anger, hitting to harm or hitting to shame is abuse, there are times that a potch is called for.

Take my son, an extremely fun-loving, happy, lebidig child. The problem is that he loves to jump around a little too much. Sometimes it crosses into really inappropriate behavior, like when he er, um... high-fived his rebbie's rear end... Wink He was rolling, and he planned to do it again the next day because he thought it was hilarious...
Or the time he had one of those sticky hands and thwacked it across his bus rebbie's face...
Or like today, when he told me that he climbed up on the roof...

In those instances, the rebbies handled it all without a potch. But if they had given one, I would stand behind them, especially when it came to the roof incident. I love my son enough to want to keep him alive... rather a potch than worse.

How old is the child?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 2:35 pm
Okay follow-up:
Does anyone know if a playgroup for 3 yr old boys that is Yiddish speaking?

Is there a more modern school where he won't be the weird kid for having long payis and speaking Yiddish?
Maybe that would be a good alternative?

Everyone I know who wants Yiddish speaking is sending to cheder already, I know Bais Duvid doesn't have a 3yr old class--- all those kids -- do they all go to English playgroup this year?

Also hat meant those Chenille/ beret style snoods, if it makes a difference.
Also no hitting/potch of any kind is acceptable by me.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a more modern school where he won't be the weird kid for having long payis and speaking Yiddish?

I can't think of any such place. A kid will feel weird if he looks that different from the rest of his classmates. It's a shame to do that to a child.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:16 pm
mandr wrote:
I can't think of any such place. A kid will feel weird if he looks that different from the rest of his classmates. It's a shame to do that to a child.

My kids have long peyos in an MO school. They choose it, against my own wishes. As long as the kid also speaks English and is able to keep up with the rest of the class, it doesn’t have to be a problem.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:21 pm
OP, would you consider Ateres Tzvi?
I've heard great things about Imrei Shefer.
If you want more modern, maybe YSV?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
OP, would you consider Ateres Tzvi?
I've heard great things about Imrei Shefer.
If you want more modern, maybe YSV?

So I have heard wonderful things about Imrei Shefer, many sweet happy kids, some wonderful teachers, but I don't think it would work for us for other reasons.

YSV seems a bit too modern, and I didn't see one kid with long payis in the pictures.

As for Ateres Tzvi... anyone send there/ have non-rumor info on it?

pushingforward

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Maya, that depends on what your definition of physical abuse is. While we all agree that hitting a child in anger, hitting to harm or hitting to shame is abuse, there are times that a potch is called for.

Take my son, an extremely fun-loving, happy, lebidig child. The problem is that he loves to jump around a little too much. Sometimes it crosses into really inappropriate behavior, like when he er, um... high-fived his rebbie's rear end... Wink He was rolling, and he planned to do it again the next day because he thought it was hilarious...
Or the time he had one of those sticky hands and thwacked it across his bus rebbie's face...
Or like today, when he told me that he climbed up on the roof...

In those instances, the rebbies handled it all without a potch. But if they had given one, I would stand behind them, especially when it came to the roof incident. I love my son enough to want to keep him alive... rather a potch than worse.

I disagree , there are other methods of discipline that work well, as you mentioned your son's rebbi managed so far well without it, a potch in my opinion should be last resort, and very gentle, definitely not every time a child misbehaves. I also think that people that hit usually hit instinctively , without giving it much thought as to whether this is the most beneficial to child.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
So I have heard wonderful things about Imrei Shefer, many sweet happy kids, some wonderful teachers, but I don't think it would work for us for other reasons.

YSV seems a bit too modern, and I didn't see one kid with long payis in the pictures.

As for Ateres Tzvi... anyone send there/ have non-rumor info on it?

3rd time Ateres Tzvi mentioned. It doesn't exist anymore. Cheder Be'er Yeshaya is the new school in the building.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics