Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Need chizzuk

chag334

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 2:17 pm
Hi! I am homeschooling my twin boys who just turned 4. We have our reasons (hashkafa, and also ideologically) based on where we live. I live in Brooklyn and it’s really uncomfortable homeschooling here. They learn a lot with me ; I do numbers, aleph beis, parsha, Parks, museums, baking, etc. but it’s just not done in my neighborhood. People mamash look at me like it’s the strangest thing they’ve ever seen. On the one hand I’m confident because they are learning and growing beautifully and I really enjoy it (most days!). on the other hand I am very self conscious about my decision. People are intrusive and tell me how much they need to be in school, etc. plus there aren’t friends for us to get together this year who are the same age and home full time.
I’m looking for support! Can anyone who did the same speak to the benefits of keeping them home at this age? Anyone with positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

chag334

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:05 pm
Anyone?!

oneofakind

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:16 pm
I never did anything like that but I think it's awesome. It must be very difficult when you go out and people comment. Really it's nobody's business and people have homeschooled or partially homeschooled I.e. secular subjects so it's not like it's unheard. Public schools don't begin until age 5 which they call kindergarten and then it's first grade. Before that, depending where you live there may or may not be preschool which in some places is for 2-3 hours. Your kids are only 4 so it's really not a big deal at all. Call yourself "Mommy's Playgroup" and say it with pride and a smile. They have each other to play with so they're fine.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:20 pm
I'm not there yet (my oldest is 2), but lol hakavod! It sounds like you're doing the right thing for all of you. Let the haters be your motivators, as a very punk man once said to me. Smile

For ongoing support: if you're on Facebook, there's a fabulous upbeat homeschooling group called "Hip Homeschool Moms." I've been off Facebook for a while now, but when I left, that was my favorite group. Lots of positivity and helpfulness - no judgement.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:31 pm
I know someone who did this. Since you're asking here's some advice from someone who tried to be supportive:

DON'T PUT DOWN OTHER PEOPLE'S EDUCATIONAL CHOICES

I think that's the biggest one. If you are confident with what you are doing, then don't provide a whole explanation or rationale or anything and then go after how evil all the schools are. If someone asks, just smile and say oh we do this and this. If they question (which is probably an expected reaction given that you're being very different) just smile and chill and be like oh its whats best for our family.

Just don't harangue people with your ideological blah-blah. its so annoying and its really hard to be supportive of someone if she does that. Acquaintances just need a confident smile and a one-sentence blurb. Friends need you to be confident in your decisions not put down theirs (not saying you do this but it was my experience).

Oh, and if you identify as orthodox jewish, but all you blab about are christian homeschooling sites, then yes, ppl will think its weird.

Sorry, I sound harsh I think. I debated just deleting this. But how you sound is really key to how people can support you. A lot is in your hands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling