Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Frame for Canvas Panel?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 2:51 pm
Hi Imas,

I just finished a painting, and would love to hang it up.
It's a thin (about 1/2 inch thick, 8x10) canvas panel and I'm having a hard time finding a frame for it.

I don't want to hang it up without a frame because it just looks too crafty, and I want it should have that finished look. Plus the sides are kind of messy.

Any ideas?
I don't want to spend a lot of money, up to $10-15, since it's not that of an amazing painting. Wink

Thanks!

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:15 pm
Check out floater frames
Something like this, in your size.

https://www.dickblick.com/mobi.....ames/

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:25 pm
Maya wrote:
Check out floater frames
Something like this, in your size.

https://www.dickblick.com/mobi.....ames/

thanks for the link.. I see some more pricey but I do see some for $15 but that excludes shipping which is only free if you spend $35.

I will take a better look at it.. in the meantime any other suggestions are welcome.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:38 pm
Did you try painting the sides to match the painting - using as many color segments as needed? That should give it a finished look.

Or you could paint the sides a solid black or other suitable color.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:44 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Did you try painting the sides to match the painting - using as many color segments as needed? That should give it a finished look.

Or you could paint the sides a solid black or other suitable color.

I didn't, and if I do it now it just won't blend in.
But regardless, it's a super thin canvas, that doesn't look good on it's own. It looks like I'm hanging up a paper which would be fine if I'm hanging it in a basement or art corner..but I'm hanging this in my kitchen. It needs to look decent.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 3:58 pm
InnerMe wrote:
I didn't, and if I do it now it just won't blend in.
But regardless, it's a super thin canvas, that doesn't look good on it's own. It looks like I'm hanging up a paper which would be fine if I'm hanging it in a basement or art corner..but I'm hanging this in my kitchen. It needs to look decent.

I had a few such panels to hang so I did lots of research, and the floater frames were the only ones that worked for me. But I’ll follow here to see if there are more ideas.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:20 pm
Maya wrote:
I had a few such panels to hang so I did lots of research, and the floater frames were the only ones that worked for me. But I’ll follow here to see if there are more ideas.

ok, glad to share the boat with someone.
I'm looking on e-bay now, because I really, really don't want to spend a lot of money.
The problem is that I don't know for sure if a thin panel will fit, most are meant for the thicker standard canvases. Plus, I'm not finding for cheaper there either. There's some for $11 but then there's 8.95 shipping.

For example I really like this one, and I think it would match my decor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Count.....iNt8w

But I don't know how to tell if it will look good if it has that extra depth.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:22 pm
InnerMe wrote:
ok, glad to share the boat with someone.
I'm looking on e-bay now, because I really, really don't want to spend a lot of money.
The problem is that I don't know for sure if a thin panel will fit, most are meant for the thicker standard canvases. Plus, I'm not finding for cheaper there either. There's some for $11 but then there's 8.95 shipping.

For example I really like this one, and I think it would match my decor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Count.....iNt8w

But I don't know how to tell if it will look good if it has that extra depth.

Yeah you’ll have to get the ones that are most shallow. Unless you’re creative enough to figure out a way to keep the panel towards the front of the frame. I’m not that good Smile

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 6:07 pm
Have you tried Michael's?

http://www.michaels.com

InnerMe

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:59 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Have you tried Michael's?

http://www.michaels.com

Thanks for this suggestion!!
Just to update for whoever this can be helpful:
I went to Michaels (I fell in love with that store) and there was a very helpful worker there who helped me. She told me that I can use a regular picture frame and since I'm removing the glass it should fit properly. In case it doesn't she gave me little things, I don't remember what it's called, little silver hardware that can level the canvas with the frame.

I did that, but when I came home I saw that the frame was a teeny too small for my canvas. Even though the frame and my canvas were 11x14. I prodded a little and opened up the frame, and it fit! It looks very pretty, the frame makes it look complete, plus that frame was $6.99. Win win!! Smile Now I just need to hang it.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:10 pm
Glad I could help!

We love Michael's! Some of my kids request a shopping spree there instead of birthday or Chanukah presents.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:02 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Thanks for this suggestion!!
Just to update for whoever this can be helpful:
I went to Michaels (I fell in love with that store) and there was a very helpful worker there who helped me. She told me that I can use a regular picture frame and since I'm removing the glass it should fit properly. In case it doesn't she gave me little things, I don't remember what it's called, little silver hardware that can level the canvas with the frame.

I did that, but when I came home I saw that the frame was a teeny too small for my canvas. Even though the frame and my canvas were 11x14. I prodded a little and opened up the frame, and it fit! It looks very pretty, the frame makes it look complete, plus that frame was $6.99. Win win!! Smile Now I just need to hang it.

Did you need to use the little silver hardware pieces to level the canvas?

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:35 pm
OK, now that OP's problem has been solved -
Any ideas for hanging a flat canvas panel without a frame? Between me and my kids, we have a whole bunch and I just don't feel so compelled to frame them all. I just want to stick them on the wall like any other arts-n-crafts. I don't want to damage the walls, either. So I bought some "command" stuff - the poster-hanging-squares weren't strong enough, and the picture-hanging-strips say not to attach to paper, and the back of the canvas panel is basically paper... also my walls are matte which I think is not helping things stick. I have a feeling double-sided tape will stick to the walls a little too much...I guess I could probably sand it off if necessary... first fishing for more ideas.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:47 pm
seeker wrote:
OK, now that OP's problem has been solved -
Any ideas for hanging a flat canvas panel without a frame? Between me and my kids, we have a whole bunch and I just don't feel so compelled to frame them all. I just want to stick them on the wall like any other arts-n-crafts. I don't want to damage the walls, either. So I bought some "command" stuff - the poster-hanging-squares weren't strong enough, and the picture-hanging-strips say not to attach to paper, and the back of the canvas panel is basically paper... also my walls are matte which I think is not helping things stick. I have a feeling double-sided tape will stick to the walls a little too much...I guess I could probably sand it off if necessary... first fishing for more ideas.

If you have room on top of bookshelves, they look great on stands.
Have you tried hang tabs attached with strong glue instead of the sticker they come with?
https://www.uline.com/Product/.....aw.ds

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:52 pm
Nope, I don't have surface room.
Hang tabs would involve a nail...ugh.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:00 am
seeker wrote:
Nope, I don't have surface room.
Hang tabs would involve a nail...ugh.

Connect a bunch of them horizontally so you only need to use 1 nail up on top?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:03 am
Not what I have in mind Sad

InnerMe

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
Did you need to use the little silver hardware pieces to level the canvas?

nope, I didn't have to use it since the canvas fit inside, and I was even able to fit the backing in. Like that I can hang it using the frames loops, and not need to create my own.

InnerMe

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:22 am
seeker wrote:
Not what I have in mind Sad

I had originally bought these which is probably what you are referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Didn't end up using them, so I'm not sure. But I do know there are different sizes/for different strengths of sticking (according to how large/heavy item that you'd like to hang is)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics