Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Teaching my kindergarten ds

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 10:19 am
Hi All,

My DS just started kindergarten. last year was the first year that he went to an actual playgroup and learnt basics-colors, shapes etc. the years before it was just glorified babysitting. I work FT and have 2 other little ones. it is always in back of my mind to teach him new things and review what he learnt in playgroup. with colors I worked very hard as he didn't pick up on it in playgroup (was a huge group of kids...). then I had a baby, life got even more hectic and I barely have time to give them some love and attn let alone review what he had learnt in school.

now he is in kindergarten. he is a December child so starting pre1a next year is up in the air. the Morah told me that she had to teach him how to use a scissors on the second day and seems like everyone else in the group knew how to cut.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm going to feel so silly when they start learning and reviewing Alef Bais and shapes etc and he will be the only one starting from scratch...I told the Morah when I signed up that this will be the case and she was totally fine with it. but is it something that you mothers do on your own time with your child??

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 10:33 am
How old is he?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:23 am
pesek zman wrote:
How old is he?

kindergarten-turning 4 in Dec.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
kindergarten-turning 4 in Dec.

I have a daughter the exact same age! In my situation her daycare (she's still in daycare this year) has exposed her to things like scissors. What else are you being told that your son doesn't know how to do?

cm

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:53 am
Just starting to use scissors at 3 1/2 is fine. He is a little younger than his classmates, so don't panic. When you get him dressed in the morning, say "here is your red sock" and so on. No need for formal lessons at home.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:48 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I have a daughter the exact same age! In my situation her daycare (she's still in daycare this year) has exposed her to things like scissors. What else are you being told that your son doesn't know how to do?

nothing else yet. he happens to be very capable and is good at figuring things out on his own. and also has a great memory for different things besides school stuff.
its not a matter of motor skills more that he never learnt how to cut before/ was that something I was supposed to do on my own?

I'm just getting nervous I'm going to look like I'm doing something wrong Confused

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:51 pm
cm wrote:
Just starting to use scissors at 3 1/2 is fine. He is a little younger than his classmates, so don't panic. When you get him dressed in the morning, say "here is your red sock" and so on. No need for formal lessons at home.

so colors he is totally fine with. I bought candyland and we played it alot and now he never gets confused with colors at all.

its mostly that last yr was the first yr he actually learnt things and the morah wasn't as great as I heard she was with actual teaching. and it was such a large group of kids that it was impossible to make sure the children were actually learning and retainig stuff well.

he actually picks out his own clothes and gets dressed totally by himself. he's very capable. he's my oldest LOL

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:52 pm
Don't worry! He will learn to use the scissor this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers