Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do you move around rooms with infant?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:05 am
This may seem like a silly question but I'm a FTM so excuse me please. I was just wondering what people do when you're working in many rooms in the house with an infant with you. Do you take the infant with you wherever you go and shlep along the baby mat? I never know what to do with my baby (3 months old now) when I'm working around the house.

I tried baby-wearing and he didn't like it.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:19 am
I would leave my baby in a different room if he was sleeping, awake and not crawling yet, or awake and in a babyproofed space.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:29 am
If the baby can't get around, I leave baby wherever they are. Crib, floor, swing, infant seat, exersaucer.... of course I keep checking in.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:31 am
I put her in the bouncer on the kitchen table so that she could see me while I work in the kitchen.
She has toys dangling from her bouncer so she eithwr is occupied with that or likes when I talk to her.
When I fold laundry in my room , or whatever I put her in the Pack n Play so she hears me and sees me.
Other times I sit on the couch while she's on the mat on the floor. All other times she's sleeping or eating. She's only nine weeks old.
In my free time I walk around holding her.
I also turn music on she loves that.
I also push her in the stroller around my house , she finds that relaxing and usually falls asleep there.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:32 am
This is one of the reasons I want to get a doona

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:33 am
amother wrote:

You may know this but It's not recommended to infants to stay in a car stay for more than 2 hours at a time

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:34 am
I usually shlep the babies with me when I'm going to be in a different room for an extended period of time. If it's just for a few minutes, I'll leave them where they are. I'll bring the infant seat with me or the carriage or put them on the floor on a blanket.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:35 am
Amother olive, please don't keep a baby in a Doona all day! A non mobile or sleeping baby is perfectly ok being alone in a safe room while being checked on every few minutes. It's not like u'r leaving the house.... if you need to push the baby around in the house, rather use a regular stroller.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:39 am
If she’s happy and safe I’ll leave her. Even to take out the garbage, etc. once they start moving around they follow me or cry when they see me leave the room.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:46 am
amother wrote:

The doona is meant for the car and very quick errands. It’s not for sleeping all day.

No car seat is.

Babies need tummy time. They need to learn to move. Strapping then in a car seat all day is very bad for their development.

But that’s besides the point.

OP, if your child is fine why move him? As long as you can hear him from were you are, you check on his occasionally, and he’s in a safe place it’s ok to leave him.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 12:21 pm
Yikes the bouncer on the table scares me tbh. Doesn't sound safe.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:

Laying in a car seat all day=flat head!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:54 pm
I have something on each floor of the house the baby can go into.
If I'm working in the kitchen, I put my baby in the stroller and wheel him/her into the kitchen. I talk to the baby while I work. I have pack and play and baby swing on main floor. Upstairs I have a crib and a travel bassinet that I can take with me to any room upstairs. I think my baby likes to be in different locations throughout the day. It gives baby something new to look at!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 2:14 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Yikes the bouncer on the table scares me tbh. Doesn't sound safe.

I was gonna say the same.

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 3:34 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I put her in the bouncer on the kitchen table so that she could see me while I work in the kitchen.

This is extremely unsafe. Please put the bouncer on the floor.

OP, if your baby is not yet mobile, you can leave her where she is as long as you can hear her.

Sadie

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 3:43 am
essie14 wrote:
This is extremely unsafe. Please put the bouncer on the floor.

OP, if your baby is not yet mobile, you can leave her where she is as long as you can hear her.

My sister flipped herself off the kitchen counter in a bouncer when she was a baby. Your baby might not be able to do that yet but one day they will, and you don’t know when that day is.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:46 am
Not to just echo everyone else...

Agreed to have the bouncer on the floor. You can't fall off the floor!

Doona- again, don't leave a baby in a carseat so much. Its bad for their digestion, their head and all the muscle development. Babies need to be flat on their tummy or their back.

A flat carriage type stroller is nice because you can put the bassinet part on, it is flat and it can be pushed from room to room. You can do tummy time in there if you are supervising. I got a used one for $60 at once upon a child.

OP, a 3 month old can be checked on very often if you are close but can't see them. I do like to have them where I can see them if awake. Babies don't send you a memo before they start rolling!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics