Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Can Parve ever be BETTER than Halavi?
1  2  Next

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:48 am
Talking about desserts, any dessert. If you were in a baking contest, and the winner got $1 million -- but the catch is yours has to be parve and everyone else can enter halavi -- do you have any chance at winning? If yes, please post the recipe!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:50 am
I don't have the recipe. But I've tasted OUT OF THIS WORLD parve.

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:00 pm
Yes, but only with a recipe that's inherently parev, not a milchig one converted to parev.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 7:57 pm
A friend of mine makes a parve "cheese cake" out of tofu, and it is delicious. It's so light and airy, I actually preferred it to the dairy one she made. I've been to catered events that had parve chocolate mousse that was to die for, too.

Wish I had the recipes!

mandr

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:35 pm
Yes! My friend's recipe for viennese mousse topped with whipped cream and strawberry sauce. I would take that any day over a dairy dessert.

agreer

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 10:42 pm
Recipes, anyone? This is such a tease!

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 12:07 am
mandr wrote:
Yes! My friend's recipe for viennese mousse topped with whipped cream and strawberry sauce. I would take that any day over a dairy dessert.

I’m sure it would be better with real whipped cream

penguin

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 1:18 am
A friend made a strawberry lemon pie for our simcha. I think it was strawberry whip (egg whites, maybe) and the lemon was also light, I think.

And I also tasted a coffee and mocha layered mousse that as out of this world.

Of course both would probably be better with dairy ingredients.

I doubt I have either recipe, although I may have asked for those recipes at the time.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 1:38 am
Pour rice crispies into a bowl, mix in tehina and silan - there should be twice as much tehina as silan. Option to add cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg, to taste.

Mash it really well, so you end up with a really sticky rice crispy dough.

Wet your hands, and roll the dough into little balls. Dip each one in dried coconut.

Air dry the balls, or freeze them.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 2:19 am
Also, take really juicy dried dates, fill them with walnuts and peanut butter, then dip them in dark chocolate. You'll never buy a truffle again. Smile

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 3:32 am
Pareve desserts can be amazing, they can be better than dairy dessert (and I agree that as a rule of thumb recipes that try to mimic dairy recipes are not as successful as originally non-dairy recipes). However, the best dairy recipe would take the best pareve dessert any day.
That doesn't mean that an outstanding non-dairy dessert can't take a really great but not outstanding dairy dessert.

That being said - I once had an outstanding non-dairy cheese cake at a New York restaurant that would compete fairly with many real cheesecakes I've had in my life - however - it couldn't take a really outstanding cheesecakes (such as the ones my mother makes).

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 3:35 am
Rappel wrote:
Pour rice crispies into a bowl, mix in tehina and silan - there should be twice as much tehina as silan. Option to add cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg, to taste.

Wet your hands, and roll the dough into little balls. Dip each one in dried coconut.

Air dry the balls, or freeze them.

I do just rice crispies melted chocolate (60% if I have) and tehina in a 9X13 add some toasted coconut or sprinkles pop in the freezer and cut in to squares. This is my go-to easy-peasy Shabbat dessert recipe.
I have used this as a base for pareve "cream" cakes as well.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 5:07 am
lemon meringue pie.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:27 am
Raisin wrote:
lemon meringue pie.

Oh my gosh, so much better with butter, in crust and custard.

nylon

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:45 am
The question is really a lot to do who's judging it, IMO. I know people who prefer pareve because that's what their tastebuds are used to. If you got a bunch of judges who usually eat the dairy equivalents it could be tough.

I personally think it's very difficult to make a pareve dessert that's a copy of a very dairy heavy recipe that tastes as good as the original. For example pareve tiramisu. You can make extremely good pareve desserts--some that I might choose over a dairy one in fact--but IMO in that kind of contest the recipes that rely heavily on things like pareve whip or margarine will fall short. The best recipes will be ones that use naturally pareve ingredients creatively. I do not like the soy versions of cream cheese or sour cream, but I've had recipes that used fake "cheese" made from nuts that I loved. (macadamia nut "ricotta" was really, really good--though more expensive than dairy ricotta!)

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:56 am
No, not really.

Metukah

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 9:01 am
My sister's parve creme brulee can win against a dairy one.

The problem with many parve desserts (besides the chocolate off course) is the parve whip. They don't taste very good at all. Definitely a fail in comparison to fresh cream. However, alpro do a single cream which is a really good replacement. Way way better than parve whip/topping.

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 9:07 am
Rappel wrote:

Air dry the balls, or freezle them.

Thanks, I will try this!

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 9:08 am
Recipes please!

smily

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 10:04 am
What is silan?
How do you keep rice crispy from loosing its crispiness?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics