Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
YT/ new season. Can't handle anymore
Previous  1  2

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 4:35 am
amother wrote:
Life is much more than clothing.
Im probably the only person in my children’s school that did not buy my children new shoes. Their summer shoes are still good and it’s too hot to put them on heavy winter shoes. Their dressy shoes are still good. Maybe one child needs a dressy shoe and I’ll buy Payless. While I agree on buying a good quality shoe for school, a brand name dressy shoe has no arch support and it doesn’t last.
I can afford things bh, but above all, I like to do what makes sense to me. My kids are wearing their summer clothing for YT. When it gets chilly, I’ve got dressy/school clothing on sale.
I can’t stand “doing what everyone else is doing even if makes no sense”.
May u all have an year of brachas and sense.

Agree. Why do people set standards so high?
I am having meat for 1 meal - minute steaks, cost me .$12. Chicken otherwise, why not?
One kid got new shabbos shoes cuz her old ones were shot.
No one needed new shoes for school. When it snows, we'll get boots.
Didn't even think of new shabbos clothes, we're end of summer season. Whatever worked til now can work for 3 more weeks. And then the winter stuff will go on sale.
Why feel bad that your kids didn't get something new? Don't teach them to expect it or compare to friends.

top mom

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 5:11 am
Davening for myself and all of you!
May we all have a relaxed and healthy and enjoyable Yom Tov !
May Hashem send us all Parnassah bechavod!
I know the tight, choking feeling of a loooong shopping list and no money for most of it
I usually just show the list to Hashem and ask Him to help me buy it all !

DVOM

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 5:54 am
thunderstorm wrote:
The only thing I have is food Baruch HaShem. I officially lost my job yesterday (my boss let me know they can't accommodate me with the hours I need now post baby) , one son started in a new yeshiva which is literally double the tuition than last year. He was going to a dorm and needed new everything, so he's the only one with new clothes.
I just washed my sheitel that is 10 years old a hand me down from my sister and I set it , but how good can it look ?
I'm post baby and gained weight AFTER baby due to thyroid issues, and literally don't even have a black skirt or anything to wear . My maternity tights all have holes and I don't have other tights. I told DH I need two pairs , but still didn't get to the store.
My snoods are all torn and the rubbers are shot.
But I'm hosting people and will go to shul no matter how embarrassed I am and will daven to HaShem to give us enough parnassah to get through another year just like he's done until now.
May you all have a prosperous year. It should come easily joined with health and happiness!

This post made me smile. Thunder, the more I get to know you (read you?) the more I respect you. What a wonderful attitude.

OP, my husband is in school and I earn our sole income. We are very careful budgeters, so in general, our paycheck covers our expenses, but when something unexpected comes up there really is no cushion to fall back on, and nowhere in our budget to economize because it is already pared down to the absolute basics. "The blanket's too short for the bed this month," we'll say to each other and know that something is going to have to give.

I try to think of it as a game. We'll be having company for shabbos lunch this week. We have a family wedding coming up and had car trouble over the summer, so we are trying to spend as little on food as possible as this is one of the few places in our budget with some flexibility. I love to have guests, and this particular family really needed someplace to eat and kind of invited themselves. Another friend is having a difficult pregnancy and I will be sending her food. With the right mindset, keeping within my food budget actually feels kind of fun. I'll be serving Chulent made with meat bones I found for under three dollars, pasta salad with on-sale pastrami, a leafy green salad with grilled zucchini and corn, pumpkin muffins, Israeli salad, apple crumble made with 99c lb apples and egg salad. Desert will be 99c brownies from a mix and ices made from 99c jello. The most expensive part of the meal will be the store-bought hummus and matbucha that my husband really loves. I could have just said no, knowing that I can't serve chicken and cold cuts and meat, but I'm past caring about doing what everyone else does. I don't think anyone will walk away hungry.

My life is rich in so many ways. I try to stay focused on that. It can be very hard to do sometimes. I've had nights when I cry into my pillow too. Well, not really. Staying up all night with my chest hurting from panic and worry is more my style.

I'm seconding thunderstorms blessings for a healthy and prosperous year for all of us!

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 11:52 am
Op here.

The clothing and Meats were just examples. I
didn't wNt anyone jumping on me to cook cheap and not buy clothing, etc. Although, now, this line got taken outa text. Yt is expensive whether shoes or not shoes. Every minute we need another thing in grocer, etc. Kids book fees, school supplies, every little additional expense Drains us more into depth. CCs are maxed out. I had a meltdown yesterday and an attack. All boddled up emotions exploded at once.. All the other days I'm putting up with it the nicest way possible. I'm thanking for health etc.

Tha ks for your support. I feel for all of you in the same boat it's hard and looking Fwd to the time when we'll be able to look back and appreciate that it's behind us.

Pray for me and for you.
A git gebencht your!!!!
Love you all my dear 'I'm a mother' friends!

crust

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 12:00 pm
Op You are normal for having an onset of anxiety sadness or whatever it was. I think you are handling your situation pretty amazingly. Yes Yt is a fortune whichever way you slice it. Keh.

KTV for you as well!

Chickpea

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 2:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The only thing I have is food Baruch HaShem. I officially lost my job yesterday (my boss let me know they can't accommodate me with the hours I need now post baby) , one son started in a new yeshiva which is literally double the tuition than last year. He was going to a dorm and needed new everything, so he's the only one with new clothes.
I just washed my sheitel that is 10 years old a hand me down from my sister and I set it , but how good can it look ?
I'm post baby and gained weight AFTER baby due to thyroid issues, and literally don't even have a black skirt or anything to wear . My maternity tights all have holes and I don't have other tights. I told DH I need two pairs , but still didn't get to the store.
My snoods are all torn and the rubbers are shot.
But I'm hosting people and will go to shul no matter how embarrassed I am and will daven to HaShem to give us enough parnassah to get through another year just like he's done until now.
May you all have a prosperous year. It should come easily joined with health and happiness!

Where are you located? I have a brand new black pencil skirt(about 2 inches below the knee)that doesn't fit me. I was going to return it after the yom tovim. If it fits you, you can have it. Pm me if interested.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 2:20 pm
There's no need for new clothes for yom tov. It is still summer. Good luck op!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics