Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Are pine nuts considered "nuts" ? Are they "egoz"?

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 8:02 am
I have a recipe that calls for pine nuts.

Are pine nuts considered "egoz" that we don't eat on R"H, because "egoz" is the gematria for "chet"?

Or are they really seeds, like sunflower seeds, which we do eat on R"H?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 8:32 am
I am reminded of a vort from the Apter Rov.

Once the Chasidim saw a big Rebbe in the mikva clipping his nails after the mikva.

One brave soul approached the Rebbe, and said can the Rebbe please explain the deviation from the established minhag to cut the nails before the mikva

The Rebbe said that this is a deep Kabbalistic sod. He gave the Chosid a regimen of fasting and other 'sigufim' for 6 months.

After the 6 months, the Rebbe told him other things to learn and do..

Finally after everything. The Rebbe, said, when the nails are wet they are eaier to cut...

Seas

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 8:56 am
On RH itself we don't eat any nut-like foods (so almonds, peanuts, etc. are included). But afterwards, even those who don't eat nuts until Shmini Atzeres, often are only makpid on that which is called egoz.

So I don't know the answer to your question, but AFAIK it's not eaten regardless.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 9:15 am
No they are seeds

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 9:48 am
As far I know egoz refers to walnuts. That's what we hold.

From Aish

The custom on Rosh Hashana (and frequently through the end of Sukkot) is not to eat “egozim” which are walnuts and, some say, hazelnuts. The gematria (numerical equivalent) for egoz is the same as that for the Hebrew word for sin – chet. As such, we refrain from eating these nuts so that we don’t even allude to the concept of sin on the Day of Judgment. Some people may eschew nuts altogether. To find out your community’s custom, please consult your local Rabbi.

And tichellady is correct. Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pines.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 10:05 am
They are definitely not nuts. You can't get a good answer here though because there is so much variety in the custom. Some avoid only walnuts. Some all nuts. Some even things that look like nuts. I seem to remember learning that almonds are okay though I have no idea why.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 10:05 am
Peanut is not nut-like, just because it is called a nut. What about soup nut? sigh.
FTR there are people who eat nuts on that days, even who have it as a family dish for RH (teiglech with nuts or wtv).

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 11:41 am
אגוז
Is walnut only.

Not peanut and almonds etc.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 12:36 pm
My DH is allergic to tree nuts. Pine nuts are not considered nuts.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
My DH is allergic to tree nuts. Pine nuts are not considered nuts.

Wow, that's fascinating, considering that pine nuts come from pine trees. What about cashews, that are not actually nuts?

I like to know these things in case I get a guest who may be allergic. My shul is entirely nut, seed, and Bamba free. They are very strict about it.

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:34 am
In Hebrew, pine nuts are called "tznobarim." The kids in Yerushalayim all know how to open the shells with a rock and eat the seed inside. They munch on them in the park and I had to ask a shaila about trumos and maasros on pine nuts!
I've never heard them referred to as egoz by anyone here.

WastingTime

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:37 am
Not only are they not considered אגוזים, my husband always says the gematria of חטא is חטא ...better to focus on your behavior than what you eat
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur